5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a book that offers really helpful conception advice
I have PCOS and just wasn't getting pregnant. Despite traditional help (Clomid) nothing worked. I read this book and now, just four weeks later, I'm pregnant using no drugs. The book recommended a diet, acuptuncture and hypnotherapy, and I used all three.
Published on 16 Feb 2006 by Victoria Hodgkins

2.0 out of 5 stars Highly flawed
Published on 4 May 2009 by A. Reader

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a book that offers really helpful conception advice, 16 Feb 2006
This review is from: Zita West's Guide to Getting Pregnant: The Complete Programme from the Renowned Fertility Expert (Paperback)
What's really great about this book is that it refutes some of the traditional ideas (saving sperm, that you ovulate in the middle of your cycle to name but two) and instead helps women understand their fertility and feel empowered to do something about it.
The only part of this book I didn't like was the bit about chinese herbs but that's probably more to do with my prejudice against taking any form of drugs or supplements than anything else.
I can highly recommend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book very user friendly, 4 July 2006
Richard C. Marten "C Marten" (London UK) - See all my reviews
I ordered this book when my husband and I made the decision to try for a baby, I found it very easy to read, it started with the basics and I realised how little I knew. If this is the first time you have ever thought about having baby I would recommend this strongly.

2.0 out of 5 stars Highly flawed, 4 May 2009
This book may be helpful for people who wonder why they can't get pregnant when they work 100 hours a week, live off nothing but Diet Coke and junk food and are severely under/overweight. Most of her case studies seem to involve people like this and you have to wonder how many people are that uninformed. Some of the more advanced nutritional advice is interesting (such as avoiding alcohol around ovulation) but much of this book just plugs Zita West's very expensive clinic and seems to be written for the lowest common denominator.

There are two specific glaring omissions in this book:
1. She fails to point out that period pain may be caused by endometriosis or that this is a leading cause of infertility. This is a shameful omission as many people with endometriosis are not aware they may have this disorder.

2. She fails to inform readers having trouble with lubrication that there are several products on the market (one is called Pre-Seed) that do not interfere with conception and can actually help. Like a judgmental matron, she just says 'you can't use saliva or eggwhites' and that's all. Yet this is something that affects 50% of women!

If you are trying to get pregnant I would highly recommend 'Taking Charge of Your Fertility' by Toni Wessler, and consider buying the charting software too. This will help you understand your cycle to maximise your chances of conceiving, and it has a lot of useful related information and a far more supportive and intelligent tone than Ms West.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book worked for me!, 20 Jan 2008
I bought this book as I thought I was going to have lots of trouble as I have PCOS. The great thing is that Zita covers the basics (ovulation, helping the sperm reach the egg etc) and then she also goes on to talk about things to do once you are pregnant to help you keep hold of the baby.
As Zita generally deals with infertility, it can seem an overwhelming read (radically changing your diet, herbs etc)...but my approach was to educate myself on the basics first and then if that didn't work, then at least I could try the other things she suggests.
I luckily fell first time and I am now 6 months pregnant.
I have passed my copy on (sorry Amazon!) to 2 other friends who have also fallen quickly.
I don't think it is a miracle book, but it does give you the best chance of conceiving before you have to seek medical help. Aged over 30 I didn't want to just "see how it went", I wanted to give us the best chance and this book tells you how.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read., 8 Feb 2007
I bought this when we decided to try for a baby. I knew that this would be challenging as I have PCS and am overweight. The book gave me a greater understanding of my own fertility. It was easy to read and avoided excessive jargon. I'm pleased to report that I got pregnant first time as did a friend of mine to whom I passed it on. Now, this may not be down to Zita's advice but I certainly think that I increased my chances with this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book really works, 11 Sep 2007
Valeria Fangarezzi (Italy) - See all my reviews
We were trying for our second baby, nine years after the first, but I had PCOS and I was told I had to get shots to stimulate ovulation. I was a little squeamish about fertility treatments so I bought this book and began to follow Zita West's directions, especially the fertility awareness kind, and i went on to conceive naturally after a month. I am currently 3 months along and I feel a huge gratitude for this book as it made our dream come true!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a book that deals with ALL aspects of conceiving, 21 Jan 2009
I've only just received my copy and started reading the first chapter and glancing through the rest. I am so pleased that this book takes an holistic approach. Zita talks not only of the physical aspect of getting pregnanct, but the emotional side too, not neglegting the man's role and emphasising that relationships need to be nurtured. Just the positive, non-judgemental book we need after trying to conceive unsucesfully for 12 months. Can't wait to put it all into practice.

4.0 out of 5 stars A book to help you relax at a stressful time, 15 Feb 2008
I got this book when my husband and I decided to start trying for a baby.

I realised I only knew the very basics about fertility and wanted to understand it a bit more to gives us a good chance. I only read this book and feel that I have never needed any others. The style of writing is excellent. A lot of these kinds of books can be really patronising but Zita West's style is much more in line with talking things over with a good friend and a glass of wine.

I am so glad I bought this book. West's approach helped me understand my own body in a way I never thought possible. I was so in tune I didn't need fertility sticks (and believe me I am a complete dunce when it comes to things like this) and after 2 months we were delighted to find out that we were pregnant. I am now nearly 7 months pregnant and I have to say I am having a really healthy, confident pregnancy.

Personally, I feel a lot more confident in the pregnancy (this is my first) because I started off with a relaxed and calm frame or mind and felt prepared by reading the book.

I am so glad I bought the book and would recommend it to anybody.
I am so glad I bought this book. The main thing is that it taught me to relax and how to 'read' my body.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction to fertility issues, 11 Oct 2006
I read this book after trying unsuccessfully to get pregnant for over a year. I found it easy to read and a good source of general information and advice. It was particularly helpful to me in understanding what other alternative therapies are available.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 4 May 2014
Covers a full holistic approach and all key areas eg mind and body. Leaving you more empowering and informed to take the reigns of your health/ body.