4.0 out of 5 stars Easy and satisfying, once you get into it
This is the first Rosie Thomas book I have read and I loved it once I got into it. That, for me, is the only criticism. Since finishing `Constance', I have started reading `Iris and Ruby' and was hooked after the first few pages. Reading `Constance', it took almost 60 pages to achieve the same effect.

After the prologue, which sets the scene for the story...
Published on 29 Jun. 2008 by Suzie

3.0 out of 5 stars intriguing story
This is a novel about the basic attraction between a man and a woman, there is no reason for the chemistry, its just there
Published 17 months ago by Mrs. Daphne Birt

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy and satisfying, once you get into it, 29 Jun. 2008
Suzie (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Constance (Paperback)

After the prologue, which sets the scene for the story that follows - of a foundling, and how she finally comes to terms with her unconventional start in life - the scene switches to Bali where Connie has made her home. It is here that I felt the story dragged. There is much detail about filming a commercial for which Connie has written the music and, while this serves to introduce certain characters who play a minor role later in the book, there are several who never feature again. I found it not all that interesting and too drawn out.

But once the story switches to Connie's life in her adoptive family, I became intrigued about what would follow and how she progressed from abandoned baby to successful career woman. It seems as if the only person in the family who loves her is Tony, her adoptive father, and when he dies she is lost. Later, when Connie falls in love it is with a man who is not free to be hers. It is no wonder she is restless, with no real sense of her identity.

Her relationship with her deaf sister, Jeanette, is portrayed sensitively and realistically - the tensions that vibrate between the two are almost tangible. Events build to a point where they do not communicate. When Connie hears that Jeanette is dying of cancer, she rushes back from Bali to be at her side - to say more would reveal details that would spoil the story, which is told as a series of flashbacks interwoven with the present, and from several viewpoints. This works well and helps add to the anticipation.

It's not the best book I've read recently, but it is a satisfying well-written story if you like to read about relationships and how they affect the people involved. It would be perfect to take on holiday, as it's an easy read and long enough to retain the interest.

4.0 out of 5 stars good easy read, 3 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Constance (Kindle Edition)
An easy read, the storyline is well written, strong not too complex. The Rosie Thomas style brings the characters to life, you will then become engrossed in who they are and their progress..... I did quickly realise where it would all end...It's not the ending but the journey through the lives of the characters which is fascinating!

5.0 out of 5 stars another wonderful description of relstionships, 23 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Constance (Kindle Edition)
Rosie Thomas describes nature and sets scenes with incredible detail and weaves her themes of complex relationships with great empathy

5.0 out of 5 stars Another must read by Rosie Thomas, 13 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Constance (Kindle Edition)
An excellent account of difficult relationships made to work with the Rosie Thomas geography and culture lesson providing a colourful backdrop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb read!, 27 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Constance (Kindle Edition)
Loved every second of it, finished it in record time as couldn't put it down. Have read 3 of Rosie Thomas's books now & can't wait to read more

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful story, 28 July 2009
Interesting book!
Almost put it down after the first 50 pages but was bored babysitting so I decided to persevere. So glad now that I did. In the first few pages, I felt the description of the life in Bali was too long and at some point it felt as if I was reading something I had not signed up for. She tried to describe what Connie's life in Bali was like... tried too hard at the wrong time in my opinion, a few paragraphs would have had the same effect as it was the beginning of the book. Apart from that, the story flowed very well in my opinion. I was also desperately hoping it would have the ending I would enjoy.
All in all, a great novel told with realism, soft humour and at a steady pace.

5.0 out of 5 stars Constance A very Good Read, 29 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Constance (Paperback)
Have given it 4 star as I have just started reading it today and it looks interesting, Ido enjoy her books,
she is a first class writer and her stories are original. I am sure I will enjoy the book.I have now finished
the book, as always it was very good and entertaining, typical of Rosie Thomas, need I say more? Buy it
and enjoy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!, 17 Dec. 2012
Ms. K. Wharton "I read to learn" (Cornwall UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Constance (Paperback)
I thought this book was wonderful and didn't want it to end. Its a great story with wonderful descriptions of places and scenes. It has some brilliant characterisations and some parts are very moving. The relationship between Constance and her sister is so cleverly written. I've read four Rosie Thomas books and loved this one the most so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent captivating story, 17 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Constance (Kindle Edition)
Constance held my imagination throughout the whole book ,the research acheived by Rosie Thomas is educational as well as entertaining and I will be asking the local book reading club if this novel should be on the list for future reading and discussion ,the story has every thing to enjoy .also in my opinion it would make a brilliant film .

4.0 out of 5 stars My second rosie thomas book, 27 May 2014
This review is from: Constance (Kindle Edition)
I thought the storyline was very good, Constance certainly had a full but sometimes lonely life. Glad it had a happy ending.

Constance
Constance by Rosie Thomas (Paperback - 3 Mar. 2008)