5.0 out of 5 stars Dazzling and Bright
Published on 19 Jan. 2005 by Joanne Schofield

3.0 out of 5 stars Not much Sun at Midnight
I was drawn to this book for two reasons. Firstly, I much enjoyed Rosie Thomas' novel 'The Kashmir Shawl'. And secondly, I noted its location in Antarctica, and I have long had an interest in fiction and non-fiction based there. (see my other reviews).

The story is of Alice Peel who decides to join an EU project at a former British base in Antarctica, propelled...
Published 25 days ago by John Brain

5.0 out of 5 stars Dazzling and Bright, 19 Jan. 2005
Joanne Schofield (Newcastle upon Tyne, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sun at Midnight (Hardcover)
Sun at Midnight tells the story of Alice, a scientist whose mother was renowned for her groundbreaking work in Antarctica. When Alice gets the chance to work there for 6 months she is unsure, but circumstances make her take the opportunity. When she arrives there the beauty and isolation of the deserted continent grabs her and she falls hopelessly in love with Antarctica. She becomes absorbed in her research and as the months progress a close bond develops between her and her colleagues. But Alice is keeping a secret from them, something which no one in the world knows but her and soon this secret will have to be revealed.
I have a particular interest in Antarctica after reading 'The Worst Journey in the World' by Apsley Cherry-Garrard which is a fantastic account of Scott's last expedition and is the main reason I was drawn to this book. Although this is a work of fiction Thomas still creates an extremely accurate depiction of Antarctica. (She actually spent time there to research this book and it certainly shows). Her writing portrays an image of a place so unbelievably harsh and isolated that it makes the reader appreciate even more so the difficulties that those early explorers experienced. The wonderfully vivid descriptions of this dramatic continent perfectly captured both its danger and beauty, and juxtaposed with this was an intensely gripping story which literally kept me awake half the night as I frantically turned the pages. Absorbing, interesting and well researched. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Riviting, 28 Jan. 2006
This review is from: Sun at Midnight (Paperback)
This book is probably the best book I have ever read. The author writes in such a way that you feel you are living the experience, Set mainly in Antactica the book follows the story of Alice Peel and James Rooker, a romance with gripping lines that keep you on the edge of your seat with every twist and turn. The description of the wild and barron Antactic landscape are so vivid you feel you are there along with the rest of the characters included in this wonderful book. I had great difficulty putting it down and was truely disappointed when I came to the end. This is the first Rosie Thomas book I have read but I guarantee it won't be the last!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Love Story With Bite, 25 July 2007
Jenna (Greater Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sun at Midnight (Paperback)
Some authors go to great lengths to do their research and in the case of this novel by Rosie Thomas, it certainly shows.The clarity and depth which she achieves with her writing are truly amazing, as the atmosphere builds quite slowly, but never boringly, throughout the opening chapters, when the reader is introduced to the main characters and their reasons for taking the trip to the Antarctic. At times during the early days at the research station in Kandahar the pace is also a little slow, but just as complacency is about to set in, the narrative begins to gather pace and intrigue to keep the pages turning and the midnight oil burning, until the thrilling climax is reached.
Several surprises are in store that are not mentioned on the cover, which is a great plus compared with many reviews which provide too much information, leaving too little to both speculation and the imagination.
This is a love story with bite and an emotional roller coaster that tugs at the heartstrings. It contains excitement, suspense, geography, geology and biology but the scientific information is provided in simplistic enough terms to be and enhancement to the story.
All in all a tale not to be missed, I loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hugely enjoyable, 4 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Sun at Midnight (Paperback)
Throughly enjoyed this book and found it hard to put down. I heard about it when the Daily Mail Bookclub reviewed it. It is very atmospheric and you can almost feel the cold that goes with being in the Antarctic. It is a roller coaster of emotions and excitement. Can heartily recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally absorbing, 8 Sept. 2006
Mrs. J. Redmond (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sun at Midnight (Hardcover)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book although I wasn't sure I would from reading the synopsis, but as I'd enjoyed all Rosie Thomas's other books I though I'd give it a go. I'm so glad I did. It has to be one of the best books I've ever read, not only for the storyline and the well drawn characters of Alice and the other scientists but also for the stunning descriptions of Antartica at it's best and terrifying worst.

I would highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely riveting book!, 22 Oct. 2005
This review is from: Sun at Midnight (Paperback)
This has to be one of the best books I have ever read. I was completely absorbed and transported to a land I've always dreamed of. I felt the cold, saw the remote beauty, and heard the colonies of penguins. Alice is a lot like me and I identified completely when she was tormented by her passion and love for a man who cannot let go of his own issues enough to be able to return her feelings. I cried, I agonised and much to my relief, I got the ending I craved so much (for Alice anyway!) I never wanted to this book to have an end and I've now become a huge fan of this author and so far none of her books have been a disappointment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rosie Thomas at her best!, 27 Oct. 2004
This review is from: Sun at Midnight (Hardcover)
I read this book over 4 or 5 days, if I had had the time I would have finished it in one sitting, I didn't want to put it down! It has romance and adventure and the descriptions of the snow, ice and light are so vivid you almost feel as if you are there. If you are already a fan of Rosie Thomas and you have read "white", and "all my sins remembered", and enjoyed them, then you will love this. If you have never read any of her previous books and you are looking for a good solid read, that isn't just romance, then try this - I don't think you will be disappointed!

4.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyable read, 18 April 2012
This review is from: Sun at Midnight (Paperback)
I've liked other Rosie Thomas books so thought I'd give this one a try despite being a bit unsure I'd enjoy the whole Antarctic adventure part. I did - I loved it. The author has a lovely writing style and draws her characters well. I felt I got to know each individual person on the base, with all their different personalities. The descriptions of life in the isolated extremes of Antarctica were wonderful - I would have liked more of that but I guess I should find a non-fiction book on it. Ms Thomas has done her research well though, she wrote with authority on it all.

The book loses a star because the whole story around Alice's 'secret' is a bit far-fetched. She is a scientist, I don't think she would have missed the signs early on. Nor do I think her colleagues would miss the signs late on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sun at midnight, 23 Sept. 2014
Clare O'Beara - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sun at Midnight (Kindle Edition)
This enjoyable tale is based on the author's experience of travelling to an Antarctic science research station.

Alice is persuaded to go by her mother, who was the first female British Antarctic scientist in her day, and a company head who wants good publicity. As a geologist Alice does a lot of looking at rocks, but the other few team members have individual specialities and peculiarities, from all over Europe.

Rooker is a field support worker with a dour manner and not enough recent flying hours to be a pilot again. While I'm not sure what draws Alice to him, something does. Maybe it's just that he is the opposite of her loser artist boyfriend - oh, make that ex-boyfriend, one of the reasons she signs up for six months.

We see a great deal of the beauty of the continent and the dangers, the sudden casual deadliness of blizzard or descending fog. The isolation and close quarters make for tensions and friendships. Christmas is a fun time and Alice feels that she is doing her mother's name justice. However, she is hiding a secret, and as the dangers and hardships increase the pace escalates until we are filled with tension and hope.

This is indeed a study of the human spirit and of the generational cycle. I commend the tale for the unusual location so well realised and the placing of a capable intelligent woman in such a self-inflicted jeopardy.

The only criticism I will make about the writing is that occasionally the author falls into 'It' mode. She'll start a sentence with It, two or three sentences running, and she'll use It again inside the next sentence. 'It was only a small cargo vessel but it looked huge...' It wouldn't be an easy journey ...it would have been much better if...It was one of the reasons why...' All those are in two paragraphs on page 86 and ought to have been picked up by an editor. This occurs several times through the book. With ten previously published books, this author ought to be better at such fine points. For those readers who don't care, forget I said anything, enjoy the read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sun at Midnight, 10 July 2006
This review is from: Sun at Midnight (Paperback)
I've always been a Rosie Thomas fan; she makes her characters so real by her insight into human emotions and her wonderfully descriptive observations. This story is no exception and the time spent researching for the story is evident too. I was introduced to a place I'd never given a thought to - Antarctica! She really transported me there and in doing so opened a new window for me. The theme of love runs through the story, but it explores love from different perspectives. Life isn't perfect and although the story may have the ending that most readers sought, I was left feeling rather sad for Alice's father, who was always 'there' for those he loved, but who seemed to receive very little in return. I guess this is yet another observation of real life! A good read.

Sun at Midnight
Sun at Midnight by Rosie Thomas (Paperback - 18 July 2005)