5.0 out of 5 stars Seuss at his best

1.0 out of 5 stars Hardback is an edited-down board book, not the original
Published on 13 Mar. 2012 by Sally

5.0 out of 5 stars Seuss at his best, 8 July 2002
By A Customer
The Lorax was given to my children as a gift and it has now overtaken The Cat in the Hat as my favourite Dr Seuss. I particularly enjoyed its wry morality, but it has all the familiar Seuss ingredients - engaging rhyme, amusing characters and fun/whacky illustrations. Surprisingly, it is among the least known of the Seuss books among my friends. Anyone discovering it for the first time has a treat in store.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eco-kiddies, 16 Nov. 2006
3 Mugs (Rochester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lorax: Yellow Back Book (Dr Seuss - Yellow Back Book) (Paperback)
Bring your own little eco-warrior on with this Dr Seuss classic. My son loves this as much as I did when I was his age ("Lorax sad!" *shakes little head*). The Lorax dares to stand in the way of industry, but ultimately loses the fight as all the Truffula trees fall, and the animals that depend on them have to leave. Too late, the Once-ler sees the error of his ways. I'm guessing this must be a '50's or '60's book, and it is (sadly) as relevant today as it's ever been. Essential reading, and an essential message behind it. If only more people had heeded it over the years. Be one of the good guys, and enjoy a wonderful book all at the same time.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Lorax leaves a moral responsibility to every reader., 20 Nov. 2000
By A Customer
'Theeds....Thneeds every one needs a Tneed......' First read to my baby sister 34 years ago, this story is one of greed and capatisim and how, if we are not careful, we will destoy our planet. 34 years later, we are closer to doing that than we were then. It is funny, but so, so true - leaves a shiver and moral responsibility to every person who hears the story, regardless of their age. My daughter loved it and this copy is for my grandaughter.

4.0 out of 5 stars "I speak for the trees!", 17 Feb. 2012
Sam Quixote - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I know this is one of those books you read growing up and not as an adult (unless you're reading it to a young `un) but I missed out on this and wanted to find out what it was about.

Well, a creature called the Once-ler (you only see his green arms) comes to a verdant land of trees, fruit, and creatures, and begins chopping down trees to make his "thneeds", awful clothes made from the trees' tops. The Lorax appears to warn the Once-ler of the dangers of what he is doing but the Once-ler is making too much money to care. Soon all of trees are gone and so is the wildlife. This once thriving environment is now a desolate wasteland.

I think the message is a fine one - protect our forests! Stop de-logging the Amazon! (it's not really that specific but you get the idea). The only thing I was disappointed by was the Lorax himself (itself?). The Lorax doesn't seem to do anything other than wag his finger and then in the end he disappears. Hmm. Not much of a character is he? Just seems to be a walrus faced gopher who, instead of doing something positive, just seems to want to complain so he has the moral high ground.

Anyway, as with all Dr Seuss books it's got a fun rhyming scheme and a great message so that the book is enjoyable even for a grown-up like me. A kids' book with a conscience - just not a great main character.

5.0 out of 5 stars At the far end of town where the grickle grass grows, 15 Jan. 2004
By A Customer
Excellent book to start children on environmentalism and sustainable development. Illustrates the basic concepts of ecology in the disappearing Truffula Trees and Bar-ba-loots. Discusses deforestation, biodiversity loss and air pollution and how they are connected, using clever rhymes. The colorful illustrations are amusing and are classic Seuss. This book will be loved by children and adults alike.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hardback is an edited-down board book, not the original, 13 Mar. 2012
I love The Lorax and decided to buy a copy for my daughter, aged 6, and to go for the hardback copy. But the version I've just received is edited down from the original and is a board book, not paper pages. There is a note when you click on "Look inside" to explain that the actual book is different from the "Look inside" but when it's this different what's the point of offering the "Look inside" at all? Totally misleading. I'll be returning it and buying the next copy from a bookshop to make sure I get what I want.

3.0 out of 5 stars Board Book, 14 May 2012
This review is from: The Lorax (Dr Seuss) (Hardcover)
This is a brilliant story which I have known for years and as I recently saw the new movie (in Australia, releasing here in July I believe) I thought I would introduce my grandson to it. I didn't realise when ordering that this is a board book, believing I was buying a hardback edition. I suspect some parts of the text are missing too as I am sure I can recall parts of the rhyme that are not in this book. However, for younger children this is still a good introduction to a classic, but very relevant, story.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Lorax, 2 April 2009
Dz (Manchester UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lorax (Hardcover)
An amusing, stimulating and prophetic book. A great introduction for the young to the pitfalls, calamity and precious losses that are the result of environmental abuse and ill considered natural resource exploitation. A worthy primer for the kids of today and despite the subject matter simply a joy to read, and not without hope, even for adults.

1.0 out of 5 stars for very young kids this might be better than the original, 19 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Lorax (Dr Seuss) (Hardcover)
Beware! This is most definitely not the version you may remember from childhood. This is the 'nursery' version, which essentially means it is heavily edited. The majority of the original has been cut completely, and the only reason this book is a 'hardback copy' is because each page is about half a centimetre thick cardboard. It runs to about twelve pages total.

Maybe I was being a bit thick here but to my mind it should be much more obvious what you are getting for your money - which is to say, hardly anything at all. True, for very young kids this might be better than the original, but why dumb down something written as a children's book anyway?

I am very annoyed about this. Amazon should learn to lable books correctly. Complete waste of six pounds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dr Seuss Nursery Edition of The Lorax is abridged, 31 Dec. 2010
mmisl (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lorax (Dr Seuss) (Hardcover)
Our son is a year old and he really likes Dr Seuss books. We got him the Nursery edition of The Lorax for Christmas (we thought a board book would last better). It it brilliant, but we just noticed that it is an abridged version of the story so wanted to warn other users in case anyone orders it expecting the full text. I don't know the original, but this version is wonderful - the language and the cadence with the lovely made-up words make it a joy to read and capture the attention of a little one. I suspect we'll be ordering a copy of the full-length one too - just not sure how to identify it on Amazon, so will probably visit a bookstore to get it.

The Lorax: Yellow Back Book (Dr Seuss - Yellow Back Book)
The Lorax: Yellow Back Book (Dr Seuss - Yellow Back Book) by Dr. Seuss (Paperback - 2 April 2009)