5.0 out of 5 stars Night time fantasy beloved by my little girl
Published on 20 Sept. 2001

› See more 5 star, 4 star reviews
1.0 out of 5 stars Such a hard book to read and soooooo boring
My 6 year old daughter brought this book home from school for home reading. It's the 1st Mog book we've read and had I not read the previous review it would probably be our last. My daughter found it very hard to read as it just keeps repeating and she was not able to follow the story, neither was I !!
Published on 26 April 2010 by L. J. May

› See more 3 star, 2 star, 1 star reviews

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Night time fantasy beloved by my little girl, 20 Sept. 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Mog in the Dark (Paperback)
Mog is alone, in the dark, and starts imagining all sorts of things. Little birds turn big and nasty and sprout teeth, mice swell to ten times their normal size and chase Mog, rather than the other way around, and dogs develop an ability to climb trees. Mog's worries disappear after dozing off - but then the fun really starts! My two-year old adores this fantastic tale of strange flying creatures and "big Daddy mice", as she puts it - and is even learning to read through her love of the text.

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit more off-the-wall than other Mog books, 13 Jan. 2013
G. King "gk100" (York) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mog in the Dark (Paperback)
This is another one of Judith Kerr's 'Mog' books. Almost all her stories feature someone having a mad dream (sometimes Mog, sometimes her people) but a large part of this book is Mog having a really quite surreal, extended dream about things which might go on in the dark.

I'd definitely recommend it to children who are five plus and have a rich imagination. But some young readers might find some of Mog's dream a bit scary. There are giant garden birds with teeth at one point and our five-year old daughter was definitely uneasy about them.

But it compares very well against some of the sanitised children's books of today and if you want to fire your child's imagination, this book will certainly help.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mog in the classroom..., 8 April 2013
Ms. Kayleigh J. Nisbet "kay769" (Derbyshire, United Kingdom.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mog in the Dark (Paperback)
Another heartfelt, glorious read provided by author Judith Kerr. The children loved how Mog's silly, child-like imagination took them on an adventurous journey.It also allowed them to confront past incidents of when they felt scared, anxious, or uncertain about something. It also allowed children to be very vocal about what happens when we dream and what we dream about while we sleep.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mog goes on an acid trip, 1 July 2012
This review is from: Mog in the Dark (Paperback)
I have never taken LSD but my husband looked like a ghost after reading this book, saying it resembled one of his worst acid trips. It features giant tits with teeth (blue tits that is...), 'mousedogbirds' with multicoloured wings who try and pass themselves off as Mog's family, and ravening zoo animals. I am not joking.

Despite this it's kind of brilliant actually - I recommend it. My 2.5 year old adores it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surrealism for toddlers, 1 Jun. 2014
C. Wolf "kw" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mog in the Dark (Paperback)
I have no idea whether my son understands anything in this book, in which Mog falls to sleep in a tree and has a bad dream. Then she falls out and is rescued by Nicky and Debbie. He enjoys it a lot just the same, but is convinced that dogs can climb trees and that cats can fly. I can't decide whether this actually matters. The illustrations in Mog books are quite variable in quality and in this book they are indifferent in execution. However, I love the picture of birds with teeth. Completely mad!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mog, 17 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Mog in the Dark (Paperback)
brilliant book, highly recommend to any one with younger children, my daughters gran loves reading them to her as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 14 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Mog in the Dark (Paperback)
Lovely item for children who enjoy these books, it was exactly what I wanted and my niece was very happy with her gift

1.0 out of 5 stars Such a hard book to read and soooooo boring, 26 April 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars We love Mog!, 29 May 2014
This review is from: Mog in the Dark (Paperback)
This is a slightly weird story, but my three year old grandson loves it, and it helped us to talk about bad dreams. I have already read it to him many times, and I think there will be many more readings and discussions! As always with the Mog books, great pictures and stimulating text.

4.0 out of 5 stars Different but daughter loves it, 7 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Mog in the Dark (Paperback)
This book is a little different from the typical MOG books - it is written with a limited word count to encourage young readers which explains the repeatition of the previous reviewer. I was afraid my daughter wouldn't get it and would even be scared by it - Mog's asleep in the dark and seeing strange dogbirdmouse creatures but she absolutely did understand the fantasty and the very comforting ending of Mog being at home with her people resolved everything in the nice way toddlers like. We've read it so many times. But yes it is different - if it is your first Mog book and it doesn't capture don't give up on this series - they are great. They don't treat children as sensitively as more modern books - (Mog frightens a burglar, Mog dies) But it doesn't seem to cause my duaghter any issues (coming up to 3), Mog always end up on top, safe with her family (bar in the obvious title of course). We love them - and as for the Tiger comes to Tea... best money ever spent and our introduction to Judith Kerr.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Mog in the Dark
Mog in the Dark by Judith Kerr (Paperback - 3 Jan. 2006)