Format: PaperbackChange

on 24 April 2015
An outstanding story book for little ones. I bought it for my grandson aged just under 2 and he loves it. It's his first real story and he really enjoys the development of the tale. The text might look long for that age but in fact if read slowly it is well understood.
on 19 July 2009
An old favourite but all the better for that. Wonderful illustrations which can be used for younger children and good storyline for older ones. The expressions on the Mog's face are fabulous! Love it!
on 2 October 2014
My kids (2.5 & 4.5) adore all the Mog stories and this one doesn't disappoint. Mog and The Granny drives me mad so if you're torn between the two then this one is definitely the better choice!
on 16 October 2009
I have such fond memories of this book I first purchased this for my daughter when she was a toddler (she is now 33yrs) and it was always her favourite and my son also enjoyed it too. I still have all the books in the series. When I was searching for books for the childrens nursery where I work and spotted Mog I just had to buy it. The children love the illustrations and it's always the one they pull out of the book chest first. Will definately be purchasing the rest of the series soon.
on 7 October 2013
My daughter was obsessed with the Mog books - she's now 23!! I have bought this for my 4 year old God Daughter, and I'm hoping she'll grow to love it just as much
on 7 June 2011
I have bought 'Mog' books for my granddaughters because my daughter so lo ved them when she was little. They are inspirational for young children (and older ones)
on 29 October 2007
I love this book.Really charming.
Lovely pictures. Excellent for small children.
Do not get tired of reading it.
It is always one of my choices for bed time.
on 7 October 2013
My 18 month old granddaughter is crazy about cats so this book is just perfect for her. She likes to have it read to her at bedtime most nights.
on 20 September 2012
I sent this used book as a gift to my daughter - It arrived within 4 days and she honestly thought it was brand new - Will certainly shop here again.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Mog and the Baby was originally written in 1980 by author Judith Kerr and has constantly been in print since then, which says a lot about its popularity! In total there are 17 books in the Mog series, we have about 5 of them and Harry loves them all, but this one he seems to go to a lot, possibly because it is new but also because it always makes him laugh a lot! The cover is quite distinctive, with a picture of Mog and the baby, as per the title, and the title in vivid pink text at the top of the book. It is a nice size paperback book that we have, and the quality of the book as a whole is very good

The story of Mog and the Baby, as with most of the Mog books, is quite basic but this is exactly what the target age groups loves. I would say the age group for these stories is around 2 through to 7 or 8, when children may look for a more complex story to entertain them. In this tale, Mrs Thomas decides to babysit for her friend's baby, and Mog is not happy. The baby cries a lot, annoys Mog a lot and generally Mog is quite unhappy. When she decides to escape, the baby quickly follows Mog out of the door, leading Mog to perform a daring rescue, making her the hero of the day. Hurrah for Mog!

The text in the book is very basic, not using complicated words and repeating phrases such as "the baby" and the fact the baby cries, so a younger child can know what to expect and easily follow the story. The text size is good and easy for an adult to read aloud whilst looking at the pictures, and Harry is starting to sound out a lot of the words himself too, and a lot of the words are basic enough to allow for new readers. The images are best part of Judith Kerr's work though - the illustrations are so colourful and vivid, Harry loves following them and watching Mog. The facial expressions are very important in picture books, and Kerr manages to convey many emotions through the faces of both the humans and Mog too. Harry especially loves the drawings of Mog dressed as a baby and stuck in a big old-fashioned pram!

I have one little negative towards this book, and that is the fact that the baby is constantly referred to as "it" throughout the book, and there never seems to be much sympathy directed at the baby - even Mrs Thomas seems not that motherly towards the baby. This isn't something young children would really pick up on, but as an adult reading it, I certainly did and I don't know why Kerr chose this approach to the young child in the story. The fact Mog becomes the hero at the expense of the naughty baby's behaviour is also a bit questionable, but fits the story well so I can't complain too much.

Overall, this is a really fun Mog book for children to read with their parents, and the story is very good, not too long and has enough happening to hold the interest of a younger child. The text used is basic enough for young readers to start to sound out words, the repetition within helps, and the story is easy to follow. Harry and I love sharing this book, he laughs aloud several times and is always able to repeat certain sections along with me. It's not our favourite Mog story, but it is one we enjoy a lot, and would recommend it to Mog fans!