5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically funny and delightful read!
A totally whimsical book full of fantastic creatures! The language is sing song and makes my child smile although she is too young to understand it. It also makes us laugh reading it - and I defy you not to aswell!
Published on 3 April 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Love Dr Seuss
Love Dr Seuss but this is a bit more complicated for my 2 and 4 year old - I am sure a couple more reads and they will be hooked but a bit more of a slow burner than some other of his books.
Published 7 months ago by lexy

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically funny and delightful read!, 3 April 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars number one bedtime book for 2.5 yrs and older, 30 Dec 2007
Amy Dingler - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dr Seuss's Sleep Book (Hardcover)
this is it--the ONE book to read in bed before lights out. Both my 4 1/2 year old and my nearly 3 yr old love it. More importantly I love it. I say more importantly, because if you adults have to read the same book over and over night after night you'd BETTER love it! Buy it if you don't have it already.

mother of three

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite Dr Seuss, 5 July 2000
By A Customer
This book put my children to sleep for years and also taught them about rhymes and the wonderful sound of words. It will enthrall children from 2 to 90. It makes be smile every time I read it. There is no other book like it ....and you will, I promise.

5.0 out of 5 stars A childrens classic, 24 Jan 2003
M. Sheleg "michal_sheleg" (London) - See all my reviews
My little brother (age 4) adores this book and so do i ( I'm 19). It makes going to bed lots of fun; the characters are imaginative and the rhyming is genius!! Its not easy to make a child want to go to bed but Dr.Seuss's books work every time and this one is one of the best. BUY IT, your children will love going to bed.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book Is MAGIC!!!, 6 Jun 2010
Annette Wingfield (Warwick, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dr. Seuss' Sleep Book: Yellow Back Book (Dr Seuss - Yellow Back Book) (Dr. Seuss Yellow Back Books) (Paperback)
My Five year old has always had trouble getting to sleep, so while trawling through Amazon to find books to give me ideas, I came across this book. It is absolutely magic. As soon as we open the book the yawning starts and by the end her eyelids are drooping and she's asleep within minutes!! I absolutely recommend this book to anyone having trouble sleeping, young or old!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sleepytime!, 16 Nov 2002
By A Customer
I teach young children and they enjoy Dr Seuss books being read to them. This is a lovely relaxing read, ideal for the end of a long week. Just try not to fall asleep before the end! It describes in usual Dr Seuss fashion all the different weird and wonderful creatures falling asleep in all sorts of places. Likely to make a very good present for age 6 and under.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yawn . . . My Eyes Are Getting Heavy . . . Yawn . . . ZZZZZ, 3 Aug 2004
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This book is the next best thing to a ride in the car to help your youngster get to sleep. Dr. Seuss's Sleep Book will also provide lots of relaxing evening reads . . . that will leave you in a good mood for a restful night, as well.
Many people report having trouble getting to sleep throughout their entire lives. Sleep experts advise creating new behaviors that enourage drowsiness. Avoid caffeine. Put the lights on low. Have some quiet music. Avoid activities in bed other than sleeping (I've always wondered about that one, too, for the parents). Keep a regular schedule. Have some hot milk.
So Dr. Seuss right away changes the rules. "This Book is to be Read in Bed."
You will immediately meet a "very small bug . . . Van Vleck
is yawning so wide
you can look down his neck."
Now a yawn is catching. In fact, I'm yawning as I type this section.
Before I knew about this book, one of my favorite methods of helping our youngsters settle down was to go into their room to read a story while yawning uncontrollably. They could seldom resist yawning themselves for longer than two minutes. Pretty soon the eye lids were heavy. Dr. Seuss gives you some additional hypnotic suggestions to help with this process, so you'll soon be a sleep-inducing magician.
What follows are lots of references to brushing your teeth before bedtime, turning the lights out, more yawns, and getting into bed.
He describes a growing number of sleepers. These include stilt-walkers, the Hinkle-Horn Honking Club, the collapsible Frink, some who are talking in their sleep, Joe and Mo Redd-Zoff are sleep walking, the Hoop-Soup-Snoop Group, the Curious Crandalls, Chippendale Mupp bites his tail, Mr. and Mrs. J. Carmichael Krox, Zwiebach Motel guests, snorers who make music, Jedd, two Offts, a dreaming moose and goose, the Bumble-Tub Club sleeping afloat, and the salesmen in the Vale of Va-Vode sleeping all over the road (and everywhere else).
Pretty soon, zillions of creatures are sleeping. Good night!
Obviously, the key to this book is to create an ever more . . . drowsy mood. Unlike the usual Dr. Seuss story, you want to s - l - o - w d - o - w - n a - s y - o - u g - o .
The book is rather long, so the cadence has a chance to create a rhythmic sense of relaxation. Reading the book can become one of those regular habits that is sleep inducing in this way.
The only book that compares with this one for relaxing your child into sleep is Good Night Moon, which is surely a staple in your repertoire by now. Older children do tire of that (which is great for wee ones), so they can graduate later to this book. Naturally, when your child starts to read this book to you, you should encourage putting yawns and snores in at the right places . . . while avoiding lethargy disturbing giggles and laughter.
Now I hope you feel like you're as snug as a bug in a rug, and the pillow is ever so soft. Take a large yawn, try two, and then go on to three. Pass along these soporofic hints, and you'll enjoy the land of nod, too.
As you can see, this book is great for creating a mood. You can enhance any experience by establishing the proper mood. What mood will make your child most want to learn when you are together?
Make your progress irresistible!

5.0 out of 5 stars You will feel sleepy, by the way., 2 Dec 1999
By A Customer
What can I say, it is FANTASTIC! Wow. Forget your cup of cocoa, this will send you right to sleep. BUT not in the same way the maths lesson does. If you do, or don't, have trouble sleeping buy this book. "Do you know who's asleep out in Foona-Lagoona?" Well, do you? If you don't, then you really should. But am I going to tell you? Not likely. I'll leave that to the good doctor himself. You have trouble sleeping so you say, Try this, try this and you may Go to sleep, by the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars This tickles me every time I read it, 23 Jun 2011
I never read Dr Seuss as a child (what were my parents thinking?!) but the joy of discovery with my own three of 5 and under has been immense. And this is my favourite of all. When I first read the page on the Chippendale Mupp I laughed more than I've laughed in a long time - just pure creative genius. The text is gloriously entertaining and yet - this is the magic - it really does convince livewire little ones that they should go to sleep too. How on earth can a book entertain the grown up, delight the little ones and yet also have the desired effect....

Cat in the Hat's off to you Dr Seuss.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ever had trouble sleeping?, 27 Jun 2009
If you suffer from insomnia this is the book for you. In the small hours of the morning when you can't get any shut-eye and you're disturbing your partner with your tossing and turning, don't reach for drugs, instead just read the sleep book and you'll find yourself yawning.