5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing fun
We love this book! Some of my son's earliest speech was associated with the various sounds that Mr Brown made, and as it turns out, we could too! A great book that will entertain for years!
Published on 23 Oct. 2003 by Sonya Myles

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
Was really disappointed to discover the book has been cut short with lots of Mr Brown's noises gone from this edition. I wanted a new copy of the book for my own kids, as the one from my childhood lives in its dog-eared state at grandma's house. Sadly this new board book isn't a patch on the original.
Published on 29 Jun. 2008 by Mrs. Rebecca Auterson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing fun, 23 Oct. 2003
Sonya Myles - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Dr. Seuss inspires parents and kids to make wonderful noises, 21 April 2004
By A Customer
In the old days it was Old MacDonald who had a farm and on this farm hehad a cow, duck, and all sorts of other animals, each of which made aparticular sound that can be imitated. But then along game Mr. Brown, acreation of Dr. Seuss, who makes Old MacDonald look like the strong silenttype. That is because as we learn in "Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You?: Dr.Seuss's Book of Wonderful Noises," Mr. Brown can do more than "moo" like acow, "buzz" like a bee, and go "hoo hoo hoo hoo" like an owl. Mr. Browncan go "pop" like a cork, "eek eek" like a squeaky shoe, and even make thesound of a hippopotamus chewing gum.
I think one of the reasons this is a popular book with beginning readersis not only because kids enjoy making all these noises, but also becauseparents and other adults get to embarrass themselves in making the soundson these pages come alive (or a reasonable facsimile thereof). Trying tomake the sound of the rain or a big cat drinking is not too hard, butdoing a very hard noise to make like the sound of lighting (which is a"splatt" apparently) or a noise like a goldfish kiss ("pip") might bepushing the envelope too much.
Of course, you can make up any sound you want when you are reading this tovery young children. But you have to keep in mind that the whole point ofthese Bright and Early Books for Beginning Beginners is to inspire them toread on their own one day, which means you can look forward to beingconfronted by an indignant young child demanding to know how the noise youmade every time you read them the book has anything to do with what ishighlighted on these pages. So be forewarned, that sooner or later youare going to be embarrassed reading this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful poem that begs for participation, 5 Dec. 2000
This is a classic Dr Seuss. It is a fairly short poem about a man, Mr Brown, who can make a range of animal and other noises. The illustrations are the usual weird, wiggley, pink and purple Dr Seuss extravaganzas. But it is the words that really work. My daughter has adored this book since she was about 1 (she is now 15 months), and always searches for it in her book pile. The attraction is the sounds which she is learning to copy: Mr Brown can "tick" and can "tock", and so can Katherine; he can "hoo hoo" like an owl, and now she can too. It's a real joining in book which gives us both great pleasure. I recommend it to any parent of a small child.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great Dr Seuss book, 2 Mar. 2009
We were given a version of Mr Brown Can Moo and our son loved it, so I've since bought lots of copies to give out to his friends as first birthday presents. The book is relatively short and goes through about a dozen or so different sounds, in the classic style of Dr Seuss with a bit of zany rhymes. My son was very attentive to it from about 6 months and still likes to listen to us reading it to him, and even laughs when we make certain sounds ("He can sound like a cork...Pop, Pop, Pop, Pop" - and when I make the pop sound I do it with my finger against the side of my mouth). It's colorful and the pictures and text are bright and fun to look at. The only reason I rate it a 4 is that the original version we were given has more sounds (more content/pages) and the one I've ordered here seems to have a couple fewer sounds. I can't think why this is. At any rate, a great book for a bit of fun; I think Dr Seuss is always a winner though and this is a great one for younger babies and children who won't have the patience for something more lengthy like The Cat in the Hat.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 29 Jun. 2008
Mrs. Rebecca Auterson (Berlin) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars My babys' favourite book - he loves the funny sounds!, 29 Sept. 2005
This was the first book to really captivate my son, at the tender age of 6 months! He loves the sounds in the book - the "buzz buzz" made him giggle the first time he heard it - and the sing-song rhythm of the rhyme keeps him totally tuned in (no mean feat making a baby concentrate) every time I read it to him. It's short length is perfect, and importantly I never tire of reading it either!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dr Brown can moo, 11 Dec. 2002
Mom in training (Sevenoaks, England) - See all my reviews
For a start, it's hard to tear off a page from a board book. We had this book 6 months ago and it has been a favorite to our 22month old triplets. Very fun and lively book. I even recite the words while changing nappies to keep them amused (and still!). Now we have it at bedtime every night as daddy found a new way to present it by rapping the words. They wave their arms around with the beats. It always bring a smile to us just by looking at them doing that. Only one drawback: we often hear this afterward "again?" ...

4.0 out of 5 stars Great rhythm, rhyme, noises & pictures!, 29 Mar. 2000
By A Customer
This was one of four excellent Dr Seuss books that we received when our son was born. The others were The ABC Book, The Foot Book, and There's a Wocket in My Pocket. All four have been hits with our son, but at different ages. At age one year, this is now his favorite. The features these books have in common is that they combine rhythm, rhyme, and interesting sounds with great pictures. I hadn't heard of these books before, but they are quite popular in the USA & suitable for American or British children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't go wrong with this doctor!, 2 Feb. 2013
Mr. R. J. Alexander (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You?: Blue Back Book (Dr Seuss - Blue Back Book) (Dr. Seuss Blue Back Books) (Paperback)
I can't believe there's anyone, of any age, who doesn't get sucked in and enjoy the strange world of Doctor Seuss. I bought this and two others for my granddaughter of six months, and she is very, very intrigued. I expect her to really get into it in a year or two. I'm obviously much older than my granddaughter, and I'm still really getting into it. There're some very strange people and even stranger situations in these Dr Seuss books. Indulge your inner small child…

5.0 out of 5 stars mr brown can moo, 5 Dec. 2010
A Kid's Review
As a rule I can't stand reading Dr Seuss books, Im dyslexic and they're a nightmare to read BUT this is an excellent book. Its fun and easy to read, my son loves to copy the sounds, his favourite is dibble dibble dopp dopp, and he laughs so much at the last page where all the sounds are to be said! So glad i found this book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›