Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 June 2005
From the moment I picked up the book - with it's little map of the village - I knew I would love it. For all women primary school teachers - it's a must, and it's and excellent easy read for chicklit fans. If you have read any other of Daisy's books you will recognise the "sanctuary" from her other books. But this time the story drafts in new faces from the village. Excellent charecters, and even the teaching view it a giggle - with situations that real teachers could enjoy.
A laugh and giggle out loud book - that's a great summer time holiday read. One of those books you can't put down - even at 2am in the morning.
on 4 July 2005
I have to admit when I read the first page of this book, I thought I had made a mistake buying it. How wrong I was.
This isn't the sort of book I usually buy but something about it caught my eye. The story is a bit different which makes it appealing and the characters are really quite believable (worryingly enough!). I actually found myself reading into the wee small hours because I wanted to find out 'what happened next'. It is entertaining and I found myself wanting to jump into the story and lamp some of the characters on behalf of Fanny sometimes.
If anyone wants a good read with some laugh out loud bits, I would really recommend this book. I liked the book so much, I'm going to buy the others by the same author.
on 5 April 2013
When I first started this book, my first thought was- oh, one of those soft watercolor English novels, involving villages and dotty women. I almost stopped when I got to the scene where Robert, eeuwh, forced himself on Fanny, with his soft hands and wet lips (to me there's just something wrong when a man has weak, soft hands) and I was thinking 'what kind of stupid woman is this? But I pulled through, and I'm so glad I did! Before I go off all lyrical, Bed of Roses is about Fanny Flynn, a teacher who moves to the village of Fiddleford as the new head of the village school. Fanny's a woman used to upping sticks and moving around quite a lot. There's the hint of a dark past she's trying to avoid. Anyway, she moves to Fiddleford and feels quite at home there. However, Fanny's arrival and presence is not something some people are willing to accept and the story revolves around how Fanny, unknowingly, steps in toes and makes enemies. Mixed in with all this intrigue and plottings may be a love story or three. You'll have to read it to find out.

I stayed up till 2am to finish the last few chapters and really didn't mind the bleary eyes I took to work the next day. This book snuck up on me and made me like it. I shall be looking out for Daisy Waugh's other books from now on. Very good story!
on 9 June 2011
Having been disappointed with the last Daisy Waught book I read (the only one) I was pleased to see that with Bed of Roses she was, in my opinion, back on top form. Although this is a lighthearted, bit of a tongue in cheek look at village life the characters are very well drawn, in particular the odious Robert. What a cringe-making vile piece of work he is. Fanny the central character, on the other hand, is so over the top free-spirited you wonder how on earth she is going to make it as a primary school head teacher. Like any good community story, the meeting place is usually the pub and the meetings in there and the comings and goings from there deftly interweave the individual lives of the residents of Fiddleford, a make-believe village in the Cotswolds. I wasn't at all sure how things were going to eventually turn out, both with Fanny's job and who she ended up with romantically until the very end and I was really pleased about that. Predictable it wasn't. This book is an easy read - take it to bed, on holiday or on the train. I'd be very surprised if you don't thoroughly enjoy it.
on 18 January 2012
I bought this thinking it would be a charming story of village life and was at first a little taken aback by how dark and gritty it was.

While I couldn't connect with and warm to the heroine (or anyone else in the book) the way I do with the characters in Katie Fford's work I did find myself getting engrossed in the story.

The ending was very satisfying and I enjoyed the wry humor throughout.

I could have done without the smoking and the tendency some of the characters had to skip personal hygiene. I find it hard to relate to or root for characters who keep themselves and the air around them dirty.

It was a fun read but probably not a story that I would read again.
on 13 January 2012
This is the first book I have read by Daisy Waugh and now want to read more! From the moment I started reading the book I didn't want it to end. I wouldn't always agree with the author with regard to how 'Feisty' Fanny coped with Robert and this book is not one for readers who are shocked by four-letter words but this did not spoil it for me. I loved the characters and it was fun to the point where a few times I laughed out loud. A real feel-good read. Roll on more gems from Daisy please!
on 22 August 2005
I bought this book as a summer read - and what a read it was!! As a primary teacher myself, I could really relate to Fanny's feelings at starting at a new school and the things kiddies say! I loved the little map at the start of the book as this gives you the feeling that Fiddleford actually does exist. The book has a great pace and I could just not put this book down. If you're into the type of book where you don't have to think too hard about the plot and are looking for an easy read with a few laughs and twists in the plot, then you'll definately enjoy this book!
on 26 December 2008
I love this book. From the moment I finished reading it, I immediantly read it again! One of my favourite books. Only one fault is the language which is often unecessary.
on 22 January 2006
I agree with all the above comments. Fantastic book, hard to put down at times. I'm currently training to become a primary school teacher and this along with the lovely front cover is what attracted me intially to this book.
Loved how the book had small chapters, though found myself thinking 'oh just one more chapter before bed!' Great range of characters.
Overall an excellent read. Am looking forward to reading other books by Daisy Waugh.
VINE VOICEon 20 August 2013
This was a fairly enjoyable read. It tells the story of Fanny Flynn ......teacher.....who moves to the village of Fiddleford to run its school.....she has various misadventures along the way to finding love.....