Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 September 2008
For anyone who's ever scratched their heads trying to make sense of the bible, this is the book for you.

David Pawson's clear, easy to follow, erudite prose opens up the bible. He doesn't pretend the bible is a simple document, but does shine a light on the text to make it easier to get to grips with.

The book is filled with examples and stories, and it also tracks Pawson's own journey in trying to understand scripture.

There's a great explanation of "Song of Songs", which Pawson says he avoided for years because it just seemed to be too carnal: about the sexual relationship between a man and a woman. To find out his refreshing conclusion about the Song of Solomon, buy this book!

It's rare to find a commentary with so much humour in it. I haven't read it in order, but in random chapters as I've read the bible. This may not be the best way to read the book, but it's worked for me.

This is one of those books that has helped me understand God's word better, and also (by extension) His character. I can't offer a better accolade than that.
on 18 December 2004
This is really a very good book for the believer who hasn't done too much Bible studying and would give a good overview of intention and meaning of a whole book. The author points out and rightly so, that we tend to just focus on a short passage, rather than reading several chapters in order to get the context. The whole Bible was written for our instruction. I really enjoyed the section on Jonah and Job (although I think behemoth and leviathan are dinosaurs instead of hippopotamus and crocodile). He quotes a section, which really spoke to me: "You who treat this crown of writings as you treat no other book. Just a paragraph disjointed, just a crude impatient look. Try a worthier procedure, try a broad and steady view; you will kneel in awesome wonder, when you read the Bible through" This book will help you to do just that!
22 comments|60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 January 2004
This book is a compendium of books previously sold in eight separate volumes in the "Unlocking the Bible" series. they;ve now been brought together in one volume. This is a brilliant handbook for understanding the Bible. Each book is introduced and discussed by one of the best Bible teachers around. It's very clearly written and contains wonderful nuggets of wisdom which characterise David Pawson's teaching. This is a brilliant book for getting to the know the Bible better.
on 26 October 2005
The author has an incredible knowledge of the background of biblical times, and an eloquency in layman's terms that really brings the Bible to life. He gives all views in relation to a subject very fairly, and his own bias is rarely seen in a dogmatic way at all. The only area I find unusual is that he almost totally "blanks" regarding the Rapture, and I think this is due to caution in his own mind regarding this doctrine rather than a right-out disbelief. Certainly a priority-buy for anyone wanting to study the Bible more closely and lovingly, and less dutifully!!!
on 23 April 2004
If you are looking for a good overview of the Bible and wondering whichone to purchase - get this one! David Pawson provides you with those keyinsights into the Bible as a whole, without dropping the key ... unlock,unlock ... letting you through those seemingly locked-up doors of Biblicalhistory. On the whole this book is not short of providing one with thoseinvaluable insights into the Bible. This book has a good grasp on theimportant issues for us.
A helpful recommendation would be to purchasethis book and then to get: "What the Bible is all about", by Dr HenriettaMears, ISBN: 0830704736 (a classic).
on 4 February 2004
I've nearly finished reading it - just 1.5 chapters to go. This is an excellent book. I was going to get some of the individual volumes, but I thought I'd wait for this instead, I'm glad I did! I think it's more aimed at being a reference in this Omnibus form, but I decided to just read it through from start to finish.
A great aid in trying to understand just what is going on in the Bible! Pawson puts each book in its Biblical context and draws out the crontribution of that to the overall picture. Very readable. It isn't a dry read at all (otherwise I never would have got to page 20 let alone page 1300!). The books are dealth with in roughly chronological order too, which makes it easier to understand for our greek-based thinking...
And at nearly 200 pages per £1 (with Amazon's current offer) you can't complain at value for money!
Great book.
on 7 June 2009
I already had a copy so I knew that is easy to read,easy to understand and makes more sense of the Bible.
A good reference book.
on 27 April 2009
Excellent book. It does what it says it unlocks the Bible in a simple and easily understood way. Excellent as a reference book.
This book is very usefull for a person who ever serious about Bible study. It is not a study Bible. But it unlocks many areas where we usually find
difficult to grasp. For a Bible scholar it is something new that he might not have even thought. For a beginer it realy helps to grow with a strong
foundation. Critics of the Bible are increasing , false doctrines are overpowering the young believers, even those are true Christians also in a
weavering stage. The remedy is, learn authentically the word of God with the help of good sound doctrine books and go to the church where preach
souund doctrine. The Bible says the word of God is Sword of the Spirit. If so this book sharpens that Sword.
God bless.
Pr.JohnMathai.
UK.
on 5 July 2010
Unlocking The Bible is a brilliant book that analysis the background story of the bible chapters and unravels the spiritual mystery in the entire book. It has assisted my understanding of the bible and inspires me more to read deeper and deeper into the words of God. Because I feel blessed by the book, I have bought several copies for my friends and family. Most importantly, it has helped me immensely as a bible class student.
David Pawson was spiritually blessed to write this brilliant and well researched bible commentary using the simple and understandable language to inspire every reader young and old. The book is a must have for the people who wants to know more about the bible.