Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 June 2011
For me, this is actually the first Buzan book I've read and the first child psychology book as well. I was actually in the bookstore buying a book for a family member in the self help section when this interesting title by this popular author caught my eye. I actually wanted to buy the book, but the cover was slightly folded here and there and it put me off. After making a few calls here and there with some local bookstores, I realized that this was the only copy left anywhere! I rushed out and bought it (I even checked Amazon.com) and I am more than glad that I did.

Although simple to read and follow, the book touches upon simple things that every parent can do to help their child realize his/her potential. The author does a magnificent job of helping parents better understand what motivates children to do what they do, whether it is something that we, as adults, perceive as positive or negative. It also guides parents on how to deal with their child's behaviour once they have understood it.

The book also contains a wonderful chapter on uniqueness and individuality. The author does a beautiful job of explaining and convincing parents how and why their children will naturally be different from them, even if exposed to the very same experiences. Also, within the same chapter, the author also explains with many great examples and details, why siblings will are noticeably different from one another and the roots of that difference even if all the siblings are exposed to the same parents, school, teachers, etc.

After getting three quarters of the way through this book, I have realized that my parents used many if not most of the parenting techniques recommended by the author and they are all things that I distinctly remember vividly till the very day. Now, I hope that by reading this book and better understanding my children I will be able to give them the very same if not more. I have already started to apply a few of the techniques and changed some of my earlier perceptions about parenting and how to raise my kids and I have seen wonders in a couple of weeks time (not exaggerating). Don't get me wrong, I've always tried to inspire my children and allow them to explore their surrounding world, but reading this book made me realize that I was slightly narrow in my methods and have expanded my horizon and the results have been almost instantaneous.

Overall, this is a wonderful book on how to become a better parent and possibly even understand our children's logic even better, thus improving our efforts to give our precious little ones even more through some very simple techniques, changes in attitude, and approaches.
on 4 October 2009
We purchased this book when our daughter was born 5 years ago and it has been of great use to us. We also made a conscious decision to get rid of our television and let our daughter focus her energies on play/work and to really put her `absorbent' mind to good use through the use of her five senses.

The book taught us how to facilitate the development of our daughter's unique personality and to also help her become socially and emotionally well adjusted and grow up as a physically strong and happy child.

Finally, we were told by our daughter's school that she is academically gifted in the field of Mathematics and we believe that this book has played its part in helping us get there. You may also wish to read "Your Child Can be Top of The Class," by Ken Adams.
on 23 February 2009
I feel great respect for this man's work and thank my lucky stars that I stumbled on Buzan's Use Your Head 22 years ago!!! when still in school. I found his method of studying extremely liberating and it has helped me incredibly. This book is also a very interesting book. It will help you appreciate the limitless potential your children have and give you the incentive to try to tap into this potential.
on 17 December 2009
i was so pleased with this book,astonished at my childs potential!a must have for parents,a real eye opener,your child is capable of great things,they can learn to read at 2-3 years of age with the help of this book,learn how everyone can use both right and left hands,and encourage it from an early age.Any one who buys this will be pleased.
on 10 February 2015
I am a massive fan of tony buzan, and when my little brothers wife was exspecting i snapped this up. I got a second hand copy very cheaply on here and it was in great condition. My brother and his wife have been reading the book and are very excited to try the methoods within its pages.
I would definatly say if your a pairent to be get a copy it will help your child and for you to grow closer together in the process
This is a classic Buzan book- with several simple key messages- largely practice, stay fit, stay alert, eat well, sleep well.

It's a bit dated now, and I'm not sure it's any addition to other of Tony Buzan's books.

I like his overall messages about how children and adults learn well.
on 1 October 2015
Repetitive and just states the obvious. Not recommended, there are lots of much better books out there.
on 8 July 2011
This book was excellent. It looks at what we know about how the brain develops and considers child development techniques to compliment and utilise these changes. This book is very different to many of the books I have read and really links advice with evidence. There are lots of easy to read examples to highlight his recommendations. I would really recommend it to any parent. One of the best books I have read, as most development books I find to be too vague.
on 12 January 2013
Exceptionally good book. Its a must read for every parent who are concerned about their child's development. I will strongly recommend this book.
on 17 August 2015