5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it
It has been years since I read Little Women, but more recently I have visited Louisa May's home town of Concord. I picked this novel with scepticism as "sequels" or spinoffs rarely live up to the original piece.

I was totally absorbed by the book. Frequently I found myself unable to decide whether this was fiction or fact. The writing is excellent, the...
Published on 28 April 2006 by Susie

2.0 out of 5 stars March - Disappointed
Great concept I thought at first - remember Little Women by Louisa May Alcott? Well, this is the story of these girls' father during all the time he was away from them in the war. But despite the idea, the book somehow did not work for me. The book takes us forward and backwards in time (sometimes confusedly) as we read how the war broke the man physically and mentally...
Published on 31 Mar 2006

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointed, 11 May 2006
This review is from: March: A Love Story in a Time of War (Paperback)
I found the first half of this book very slow and plodding. I am afraid Marmee made me cringe with her self righteous rage and it all felt just too contrived. The second half did get better and I would far rather have read more about the slave trade and the conditions in which these people survived, than the muddled recollections of our Mr March. I did enjoy The Year of Wonder even though that is also a very slow read but would not suggest this book to anyone else to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly enjoyable, 10 July 2007
This review is from: March: A Love Story in a Time of War (Paperback)
I was surprised to say i liked this book. I love the film Little Women and thought that this book was so well co-ordinated with Little Women. It was rather brutal in parts but no worse than the situation deserved. For the author to have chosen a character we know little about, but who has strong beliefs, and fitted it into a very well known book was amazing. Very well written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 18 Jan 2014
Couldn't put it down a compelling and beautifully written book.
Just when I thought it couldn't get better than Year of Wonders Geraldine Brooks has excelled herself.

3.0 out of 5 stars American Civil War setting, 1 Aug 2013
This review is from: March: A Love Story in a Time of War (Paperback)
I read it after seeing the film Lincoln.

I liked the idea of using the family from Louisa Alcott's Little Women books, but I found the story somewhat contrived.

4.0 out of 5 stars How can north and south be so different?, 25 July 2013
I cannot believe that people can treat other human beings like that! Not sure if I liked the link with little women.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very readable, 30 May 2013
This review is from: March: A Love Story in a Time of War (Paperback)
I enjoyed this book very much, as would anyone brought up on Little Women who wondered about Mr March. It was imaginative and told the story of the war vividly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read on the American civil War, 22 May 2013
It was only ok as the author took a lot from the book 'Little Women'.
It was interesting to read the prejudices that still occurred after the war, in particular with those who had been fighting to free the blacks.
Good discriptions of the countryside and plantations. An inner turmoil that occurred with March in his fight to see justice done.
Less frothy than 'Gone with the Wind'.
Yes I would recommend.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Geraldine Brrok's best novel, 16 May 2013
I found the book interesting in parts, but the characters seemed a little wooden and hard to believe in, not as good as her other books, People of the Book and my favourite Year of Wonders.

5.0 out of 5 stars an outstanding read, 21 May 2012
Cloggie Downunder (Australia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: March: A Love Story in a Time of War (Paperback)
March is the second novel by Australian author, Geraldine Brooks. It tells the story of Mr March, the absent father in Louisa May Alcott's classic novel, Little Women. But as well as giving the reader an idea of his experience "at the war" (the noise, smell, blood, cold and death are almost palpable), Brooks provides background on the Civil War: attitudes to slavery in the north and south, behaviour of soldiers on both sides of the war, and the experience of the civilian population. She touches on the North's mixed record of high idealism, negligence and outright cruelty regarding the contraband (slaves who came within Union lines) and vividly illustrates the moral dilemma faced in war by pacifists who were also ardent abolitionists. A multitude of facts is incorporated into the story in a way that renders them easily absorbed. By having March narrate the first two thirds of the book, Brooks also gives the reader some of Mr March's history: his youth, his career, meeting Marmee, his involvement in the Abolitionist cause, the reason for his reduced circumstances. Marmee's thoughts and feelings about her husband's actions are detailed when she takes over the narration: this wise, dignified, compliant woman is shown to have unspoken opinions while remaining the strength of the March family. All this Brooks meshes seamlessly with the events in Little Women. While Alcott would have been able to write from personal experience, the vast amount of research that Brooks has had to do is evident on every page. March adds some darker adult resonances to the voids of Alcott's sparkling children's tale. An outstanding read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Gone with the Wind, 13 Mar 2012
This review is from: March: A Love Story in a Time of War (Paperback)
It wasn't until I was well into this book that it began to grip and I realised I had also read 'The Year of Wonder' by the same author. It is not 'Gone with the Wind' and all the better for that, once again Geraldine Brooks gets right into the hearts and minds of the characters and makes you feel their pain and confusion. Like other reviewers I found Marmee tiresome in this book as well as in Little Women, but as she stayed in Concord she didn't play too great a part of the story.Her jealousy of Grace was understandable but her anger with March that he had not told her the truth quite inexcusable, but typical of her character. So all in all this is a wonderful book and I can thoroughly recommend it.

March: A Love Story in a Time of War
March: A Love Story in a Time of War by Geraldine Brooks (Paperback - 1 Oct 2008)
5.59