5.0 out of 5 stars Never let me down, 15 Nov 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Scotland the Best (Paperback)
This book gathers together what is best about Scotland. As a Scot living in Scotland, I use this book all the time when traveling in my own country. I especially like the fact that some of the places I consider to be the best in my home area are included within its covers. It's not "Scotland the Most Expensive", It's not "Scotland the Twee-est", It's exactly what it says on the cover. This book has never let me down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most useful guide, 18 May 2005
I. Clark "Ian 'tops of for techno'" (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Scotland the Best (Paperback)
I'm English recently moved to Edinburgh and was advised to get this book. It has taken me on the 'best' walks. To the best hotels, restaurants, economy restaurants, best camp sites and even located the best breakfasts. It is packed with great unbiased advice catering for all pockets and needs from high end lux to bargain basement.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining Source of Insider Knowledge, 19 Sep 2005
r0ng0r0ng0 "r0ng0r0ng0" (France) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Scotland the Best (Paperback)
With most of the world's countries shoe-horned into the same bland format by Rough Guide et al it is refreshing to find a guidebook that can stand on its own feet. Peter Irvine is best known in Scotland as the orangiser of the popular hogmanay festival in Edinburgh. He has built this guide up as a sideline over the last 10 years. It is very much his personal opinion on what is good and not so good. As a resident Scot I have consulted it on numerous trips around the country and found his various jugements entertaining and almost always sound. The book is packed with the sort of inside knowledge that will help you find gems known to few other than discerning locals.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Only Guide You Need, 25 May 2006
Susie Clifton (Calgary, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Scotland the Best (Paperback)
The definitive guide to Scotland. Having lived in Edinburgh and travelled back to Scotland many times, this is the only guide I use. It works for everyone: families, singles, budget-minded and those ready to splurge. It's easy to use and makes research fun. I've given this book to any friend who makes the journey to Scotland and it has made everyone's trip a success.

5.0 out of 5 stars An informative, complete and reliable but still individual guide, 12 Sep 2011
This review is from: Scotland the Best (Paperback)
I have been using this guide since the first edition and as a native Scot it has introduced me to many great things in a small country that I wouldn't have found or experienced otherwise. This guide reflects an individuals views and taste of Scotland but does so in an informative, consistent and engaging way. I have found it to be accurate, insightful and complete in virtually all the wide ranging topics it covers. The range of content from where to stay, eat and drink to where the best remote spiritual places are and everything in-between is of enormous appeal to me. I can't recommend it enough and I think they should replace the whole Scottish Tourist Board thing with a website where anyone coming here is given a free copy. Soon encourage the many hotels, bars and restaurants and ' tourist attractions' that still rip-off and disappoint enormously to improve matters . Looking forward to new discoveries in the latest edition.

Scotland the Best
Scotland the Best by Peter Irvine (Paperback - 1 Dec 2003)
Used & New from: 0.01