5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful reference book.
This book is fabulous, it is a collection of spells/charms from all different paths, not just witchcraft and is a wonderful reference book, and just something to thumb through.
Published on 7 Mar. 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars REALLY LARGE spellbook....
Published on 16 May 2005 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful reference book., 7 Mar. 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: The Element Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells: The Ultimate Reference Book for the Magical Arts (Hardcover)
This is not a "how to" book, and there are some rather naughty and even down right nasty hexes in this book - although some merely give you the idea of what the spell was suppose to do, without actually giving you all the details. Novices should be aware that this book will not tell you how to perform magick or how to work spells, although - essentially its a wonderful social history of spell craft through the centuries from all different paths - and yes down right amusing. Some of the spells definitely have the "ick" factor and are hilarious, others are quite shocking even disturbing.
Excellent book for sitting cosily with a cup of tea on a rainy day and thumbing through. If you want to use any of the spells you'll probably need to do a fair bit of research as there are many unfamilar herbs/oils/ointments etc and really, in terms of using it for spell craft, it comes into its own as a book that provides inspiration.
It should be noted too, that this is not a book written for or about Wicca.

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the most comprehensive book of spells ever., 6 Mar. 2004
J. Murphy - See all my reviews
Looking for a spell book? But tired of all the Fluff? Then this is the book for you. It contains spells on every subject you are ever likely to need.
This book starts with an introduction to it contents and a brief but comprehensive guide to some of the things mentioned in the spells, then it just delves in to page after page of spells divided in to categories.
If you only ever buy one spell book then this should be it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational., 26 May 2009
I had the fortunate chance to read some of the spells in this book about 4 years before buying it. I find it interesting and it inspires me to creat my own spells from the ones used. There are some that are a bit dodgy and not to be done due to poisionus plants used but as with all good witchcraft you can substitue them or leave them out. For pure interest sake the book is a diamond to own. Some of the herbs, plants and roots you can get and some I just would not bother with.
I have done a few of the spells in this book and they worked better than I expected so I do feel that the book needs to be used responsibly and not one to give to a novice witch just starting out as he/she may either be frightened off by some of the weird spells or try to do some of the spells that a more experienced witch would know not to do. It is interesting that the dark spells are in the same book as the rest but then its not the spells but the witch that chooses to do them. If we trust ourselves to be wise enough to not do these then there is no harm but only self education when reading them.

This book contains nearly every spell you could wish to know and the knowledge that this book contains goes far beyond any other book I have ever come across.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely one for keeps!, 14 Nov. 2004
By A Customer
I absolutely love this book, I think it is responsible and comprehensive. As the title suggests, it is an Encyclopedia of spells and not a "how to" book - the responsibility is up to you! It is a genuinely interesting slice of spellcrafting history, and is a welcome addition to any shelf.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Hefty Book of Spells, 13 Jun. 2006
Mr. K. Gurner "littledark1" (UK (Wales)) - See all my reviews
My first thought was, What a Hefty Book. But liek everyone says, it does look impressive on your bookshelf/bedside table. Although it isn't all about looks.

This is not the kind of book you should delve into up to your arms, I prefer to think of it as a reference book myself. Loads to inspire your creativity, and great info. about world cultures and different practices that I had never heard of before now.

To be honest, I always re-write spells a bit anyway, so I wasn't expecting to find a world of resources here, but I was thrilled to find so much information here. And at £13.20, who can complain?

I often find myself grabbing it and curling up on the bed or the sofa, tea in hand, and flicking through just for a read. Which is really nice, not like anyother book on Magic or Witchcraft that I own.

But. And there is ALWAYS a but.

I often find myself having to keep one or two of my other books at hand when reading it. The author seems to try and use the most Arcane sounding language, which often leads to having to find out what ingredient she is refering to.

I would say, if you have room in your home for it, Buy it. I assure you that even if you don't like any of the spells, you will be inspired, informed and will find yourself reading it again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Foundational, 20 Oct. 2008
I bought my copy of this book when it was newly out, and I think it may have been the first or second magic book I ever purchased, though I had read several others and had a working knowledge of the rudiments of magic. Judika has achieved what many others have attempted - that is to describe the witch's craft in an inclusive and unthreatened manner. The reader is not burdened with a heavy-handed treatment of the author's 'way to be a witch'. Her collection of spells is broad and, though critical in the best of ways, is never censorious or biased.

The breadth of the author's research is laid before the reader in a warm and enthusiastic style, with humour and the true ring of experience behind every word. We are not beseeched to buy cupboards full of ridiculous accoutrements before we can work an effective spell. Nor is it necessary to follow someone else's style slavishly to secure success.

This is the book I reach for whenever I am unsure where to begin, or when there is a detail I wish to check on. Judika's wit and lightness of touch belie the seriousness of her commitment to the subject matter and the lasting value of her book. I would not hesitate to recommend her writing to you.

3.0 out of 5 stars REALLY LARGE spellbook...., 16 May 2005
Oh yeees, I thought, finally a REALLY LARGE spellbook! Will look gloriously good on my dresser! But after wearing tired of flicking from page to page looking for spells, I remembered WHY I started to make my own spells 10 yrs odd ago - there's just no substitute for personalised spells thought through by the witch her/himself... Great for general inspiration (and if you really can't be bothered thinking about things yourself). And it does look good on your dresser.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow..., 14 May 2008
I brought this book a few years back when I was new to the Craft, and although in honesty about 40% of the spells written therein I would never use (simply because they go against the Wiccan Crede), this is definitely a book for your collection! It escapes some of the fanciness of 'spell books' and leaps straight into the hard core facts and spells. However, do be careful if you try some of the heavier stuff - the book is good enough to point out to you that certain herbs/ingredients are harmful... but check your ingredients before you cast!!

Definatley one for the connection, five stars! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars HUGE book!, 8 Nov. 2008
L. Topping (Merseyside, England) - See all my reviews
This is an unbelievably huge book which is chock full of content.
I am a Wiccan and bought this book as use as a reference text for my spells and rituals however upon reviewing the book i feel it is best used as a basis for making your own spells as the majority of the spells in the book are, i feel not very useful on their own. 5000 sounds like ALOT of spells, which it is, however there are many, many 'spells' which are one-liners and seem to state a belief as opposed to being a spell i.e. Birth Chamber Protection Spell with Fir Needles: Burn silver fir needles during childbirth to protect mother and child and Boat Protection Spell Rope: Pass the entire boat through a rope circle for safety and protection.

Despite the above i would reccomend it to anybody with an interest in magic and/or history as it is only £13.00 from Amazon and for such a big book it is worth it. It is only meant as a reference text and spans back a few thousand years when folk believed putting an axe under a pregnant woman's bed would ease childbirth - if you remember that whilst reading the book and come with an open mind then you'll be happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Element Encyclopaedia of 5000 Spells, 15 July 2008
I bought this book quite a while ago because I was attracted to how many spells there are in it. The author has collected a diverse range of spells from various cultures and traditions. the spells are arranged by topic (each with an introduction) and there are a variety of different spells (though not all of them are practical or advisable).

There are other sections in the book to complement the collection of spells - the author's introduction is an interesting read and there are tables showing things such as colour associations. The book also has instructions for making the various oils mentioned in the spells and a list of possible ingredients including their latin names.

I have to admit I've never used a spell from the book "as is" because of my personal belief in making each one individual to the situation. However I find the book incredibly useful for inspiration and would definitely recommend it if you're curious to find out about different spells.