5.0 out of 5 stars Told me everything that I wanted to know

Published on 12 Dec 2011 by Wiklund Peter

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Told me everything that I wanted to know, 19 Aug 2003
S. Sims (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
Wanting to get into woodworking for pleasure (and ultimately furnishing my house) but having very little prior knowledge about the subject, I wanted a book that I could use as a reference whenever it was needed. This book fulfills the role very nicely and gives excellent guidance on the purchase of tools as well as techniques. Having read through the relevant sections, I was able to go out the next day and purchase everything I needed.
Often the most difficult thing about starting out in a new hobby is finding somebody with experience to guide you. Whilst this is usually the best way, in my case it wasn't possible and this title was about as worthy a substitute as a reference book can be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Informative, 18 Nov 2001
By A Customer
Excellent book. I am studying Antique Furniture Restoration at college and find that this book covers all the woodworking basics that I need to know, learn and excel at. It is well laid out, easy to follow and has step by step guides for different types of joints, timbers, tools and wood finishing. It is my bible.

5.0 out of 5 stars An easy to use reference for students and hobbyists, 14 Oct 1999
By A Customer
I found this manual to be an easy to use reference with superb photographs. It has the added advantage of being a complete one volume guide. I am reccommending it to my Art and Technology Education college students.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but can be sketchy, 22 Jan 2003
Jeremy Mcgee (Deepest Gloucestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
First - this is a really well produced book. It shows what several dozen samples of different wood types look like (both plain and varnished), and goes on to outline the basic construction principles behind chairs, tables, and cupboards. It then covers the use of hand tools and power tools.
But, and it's a big but, this is really only an overview of a vast subject. For example, it covers drafting of a plan in one single page, which really isn't enough if you're planning to build a large piece of furniture.
So while it looks lovely, bear in mind that it's best considered as a roadmap for further study and experimentation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive, 22 Jan 2009
I enjoyed reading this book. It's put together almost like an encyclopedia and would be an excellent resource for the student or novice. All the main aspects of woodworking are covered and each chapter is devoted to a particular area so for your money you get chapters on

Wood
Woodcarving
Finishing wood
Other materials
Fixtures and fittings

For illustrative purposes you get both photographs and drawings. I was impressed by the chapter on Machine tools but I must say I found the chapter on fixtures and fittings a bit scant. But all in its a pretty good manual.

5.0 out of 5 stars All essential woodworking info in one book., 10 Jan 2008
This review is from: Collins Complete Woodworker's Manual (Hardcover)
I'm strictly a "hobbyist" woodworker and I ordered this on a whim, having just bought a router in the post xmas sales, hoping to pick up some ideas for projects.
The depth of information is outstanding, with the chapters being logically ordered and all types of wood, tool and method being laid out in detail with plenty of clear diagrams and "how-to" instructions.
I picked up plenty of hints and tips on things I never even knew I was doing wrong. I've also managed to identify some of the more obscure woodworking tools I inherited from my Grandfather, and found a use for them!
Money well spent, this will keep me busy for years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you always wanted to know about woodworking..., 1 July 2000
Teaching English at a technical college in Germany I always kept looking for a book that explains it all. I finally found it: whatever you need to know about woodworking, all the tools, the properties of wood, designing furniture, dovetails, what have you... It's all in this one book. It's well-written, easy to read, beuatifully illustrated (cudos to Simon Jennings). If you want to go into woodworking seriously, this is the book you want to get.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beginners Essential, 19 Jan 2010
This review is from: Collins Complete Woodworker's Manual (Hardcover)
I spent a lot of my life Managing a Furniture Unit in a College and a lot more of it as an external verifier for City and Guilds. This book is a magic offering for any learner, formal or otherwise, in most woodwork subjects i.e. C&J or Cabinet making particularly. Covering, as it does, materials, tools and techniques along with power tools and machinery. I bought this edition to compare it with the First edition and found it just as good and useful. It should be an essential Text Book for all students, particularly in early years Cabinet Making. I read one review which wanted more on Design and Drawing - in my opinion the book has it just right for the early years student where practical techniques are the most important element. This book gives a great start to essential underpinning knowledge (used to be called technology).

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not outstanding, 12 Dec 2011
Wiklund Peter (Espoo, Finland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Collins Complete Woodworker's Manual (Hardcover)
The book provides basic knowledge of woodworking tools, material and techniques. The chapter on different tools is very extensive and pretty much up-to-date reflecting the status at time of the publishing year 2005. What is missing is a chapter with example projects showing how to apply different joining techniques at the same time showing how to use the tools. The chapter on basic furniture construction is presented only as handwritten drawings and handwritten text making it laborious to grasp the content. What I liked most was the stuff on bending wood, finishing and veneering techniques. The next edition would benefit from of a total rewrite with a more balanced take on the different chapters in addition to a more contemporary approach on the subject.

Overall the book is well worth the money as a basic reference for those new to woodworking.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Beginners Guide, 11 July 2009
This review is from: Collins Complete Woodworker's Manual (Hardcover)
This book was purchased for someone who doesn't know a lot about woodworking. He has found it very useful, informative, interesting and inspiring. A good place to start, it contains basic knowledge and helpful points on most aspects of carpentry.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xabcc26f0)

Collins Complete Woodworker's Manual
Collins Complete Woodworker's Manual by David Day (Hardcover - 4 April 2005)
19.50