4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for a serial killer novel :-)
Published on 31 Mar 2006 by Mr. S. Crook

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the old Michael Marshall
Previously, Michael Marshall was a sci-fi/horror writer, who has taken a brave step of switching genres with 'The Straw Men' Trilogy (of which Blood of Angels is the third) which is a straight out and out thriller.
Published on 4 Jan 2006 by Mr. A. M. Mcdonald

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for a serial killer novel :-), 31 Mar 2006
Mr. S. Crook (Way out west) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blood of Angels (Paperback)
Generally I give them I wide berth because they are usually derivative nonsense. However, there's enough conspiracy theory stuff in this and the earlier books to make them interesting and the serial killer is just part of the plot, not *the plot*. All three novels make heavy use of converging plotlines which may not be to all tastes, but I like them and these hang together quite nicely. The dialogue is sharp, and over the three books the characters are developed quite well. I didn't much like the pages of pontifcation the various main characters have on the meaning of life the universe and everything, but they're not too heavy and relatively short.

Personally, I think the criticism levelled by other reviewers is misguided. The characters and plot have been carefully developed and for me at least the various threads are sufficiently resolved even if they're not as tidy as some might like, and it's done without blocking off the possibility of more 'Straw Men' novels.

Don't read this book unless you've read the other two as there's a lot of backstory that will make this one a more enjoyable read, and although MM tries to fill in the essential details you're going to lose a lot if you start here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding sequel from a true master of suspense., 21 Oct 2009
R. Cooper (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blood of Angels (Paperback)
I had read 'The Straw Men' some time ago, eagerly followed by 'The Lonely Dead'- the two prequels to this story by the same author. As I waited for 'Blood of Angels' to arrive I eagerly dug out the prequels to re-read to get in the zone for the latest installment. Alas, I had leant Strawmen to a friend, who leant it to a friend, who leant it to a friend etc....yes, these books are that good, you will re-read them, and they will keep them! So hold on to them! Luckily I still had Lonely Dead to whet my appetite and refresh my memory to the murky underworld of the Strawmen.
Blood of Angels doesn't disapoint with Michael Marshall being consistent in writing style and tone familiar with the prequels. He has well structured plots and sub-plots developing at just the right pace, so that you find yourself hopelessly engrossed, relishing early nights in bed reading, ignoring the wife and chores whilst the dog suffers from lack of exercise.
There's no chance of me revealing the plot here, that would be sacrilege. Safe to say the series has been probably my favourite as a keen thriller fiction reader. I would recommend you start with 'The Straw Men', then 'The Lonely Dead', then followed by this book. If you don't want to fork out for three books without trusting they're going to be good, I would recommend reading 'The Intruders' by the same author. It's a complete book with no prequels or sequels, but will leave you wanting more nonetheless. Incredible.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the old Michael Marshall, 4 Jan 2006
Mr. A. M. Mcdonald "blaizemcleod" (Lancashire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Whilst Michael's writing is as good as ever, I can't help but feel that he struggled writing this third book; whilst the plot builds up nicely with interesting twists at the end of each chapter the ending simply falls flat and is horribly open-ended without providing much in the way of resolution. In my mind it's a 'answers provided in the next novel' type story and that's where the problem lies.
Writing as Michael Marshall Smith his stories (the fantastic Spares, the sublime One of Us and a brilliant short story collection) are wonderfully inventive and written with style and verve. With book three of The Straw Men Trilogy everything feels diluted and washed out, as though Michael wasn't sure what to do with it. The characters are nowhere near as strong as previous novels and have, in my mind, struggled to develop over the three books.
Despite that it is a good read, and as an English author I feel we should be supporting our guys.
Look forward to the next one, which I've heard will be a horror. Can't wait!

5.0 out of 5 stars Back on form......., 11 July 2005
This review is from: Blood of Angels (Hardcover)
As a previous reviewer commented "if only Michael Marshall could produce a book a month....". I couldn't articulate it any better myself!
This book is everything the Lonely Dead should have been. The multiple stories that ultimately collide are brilliantly written and keep the reader engaged throughout. The secret of this book's success is that you care about what is happening. Whilst I enjoyed the Lonely Dead, the second story within it did not captivate me, hence I lost interest and focused upon the main thread - that of the trio's search for The Upright Man. Blood of Angels makes you want the best for the newly-introduced characters - although you always have a feeling that they will ultimately end up victims within the tangled web that surround the society known as the Straw Men.
Perhaps this is the attraction of Marshall's books. He is not afraid to introduce you to a character, develop their personality, pshyche etc then kill them off. A criticism often levelled at other writers is their characters become stale, predicatable even. Marshall has yet to be accused of this.
My only criticism of the book is its reliance upon previous knowledge of the other two books - The Straw Men and The Lonely Dead. Whilst it is not a bad thing to have read them, not everyone purchases books in the order they were written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practically unputdownable, 29 Jun 2005
This review is from: Blood of Angels (Hardcover)
If only Michael Marshall (Smith) could knock out a book every month or so...
Once I start reading one of his books, I can't seem to stop reading, and then it's all over before I know it, leaving me totally satisfied yet itching for more. I hope he's happy that he's turned me into an addict.
Blood of Angels is a cracking conclusion to the trilogy, leaving the door ajar at the end for a possible revisiting of the plot in future books. There are four main threads to the story involving all of the usual characters plus some very well characterised newbies. The multiple points of view ensure that the book as a whole is a real page-turner as you try and figure out which are the most important and how they are all going to connect at the end - and they do, perfectly.
The book is more like The Straw Men than The Lonely Dead in pace and tone - the action taking more of a centre stage than the conspirational theory behind it. All three of the books together have really wowed me to the point where after years of saying how I'd like to see a return to Michael Marshall Smith sci-fi for the next book, I'm now not at all sure that I want him to depart from this modern-day crime thriller genre. Whatever he happens to write next, I am pretty positive that it won't disappoint me.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm sad my re-read is done...terrific stuff!, 22 July 2013
Liz Wilkins "Lizzy11268" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Blood of Angels (Kindle Edition)
So sadly I come to the finale of "The Straw Men" trilogy - Blood of Angels. Now I'm feeling vaguely bereft again. I have absolutely loved my re-read of this set of books and I'm sad that I am done. I can't start again right away can I? No perhaps not. But I'm sure this will not be the last time I read them.

This part of the tale finds Ward and Nina hiding out in a remote cabin and trying to leave the world behind them. John is nowhere, unable to contact him they reluctantly decide that their friendship is over. Then Nina's boss at the FBI, Monroe, brings news of two murders..and everything changes. Dragged back into the horror, Nina finds herself haunted by ghosts from the past - and Ward is suspicious of the reasoning behind Monroe's request for Nina's assistance. Trying once more to contact John, he starts to untangle this latest mystery...

The Straw Men mythology deepens in this book - intriguing and well imagined it makes you wonder what exactly might be lurking behind closed doors.....hey how well do you REALLY know your neighbours, friends, confidantes. Many tangled webs weave themselves into the ultimate showdown..and its a corker of an ending trust me. But is it the end? I truly hope not.

The story taken as a whole, over the entirety of the three books is extremely well done. And yes there is room for more to happen in this world..I really need to know about a lot of things. Are you listening Mr Marshall? Having built up this whole mythology around Serial Killing do you know I would not be at all surprised if at least one recent tv show that will remain nameless ( Hint: Kevin Bacon gets in on EVERYTHING) has at least one writer that has read these particular books. The story may be different but the ambience is the same. So still, after this go round, this remains in my top 3 trilogies of all time. If you want to know what the other two are watch this space.

Next on my list for my re-read for the Michael Marshall section of my website is "Killer Moves" - a book I remember kept me on the edge of my seat the first time around - and it didnt even need an Upright Man to do so.

Happy Reading Folks!

5.0 out of 5 stars New to this author., 5 Dec 2012
N. Patterson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blood of Angels (Kindle Edition)
Michael Marshall writes with such human observation, you are drawn into the story and he takes you on many unplanned asides which belong to each character. For each of his books which I have read I found that I couldn't put them down. So I bought a Kindle and now just carry them with me so that I can read whenever the opportunity arises.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Straw Men Return for an 'Explosive' Finale - or is it???, 28 April 2010
T. Wright "2Wright" (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blood of Angels (Hardcover)
This novel, the third in 'The Straw Men' trilogy, see's the pace pick back up after the incredibly suspenseful and action packed excitement of the eponymous title of the first Straw Men novel, followed by the insightful lull of 'The Lonely Dead', to reach this climatic end of the trilogy - or do we??? There is the big build-up to a massive sonic boom ending - but is it the end? Do we really know anything for sure? There are no bodies after all! LoL!

Love it. MMS - You're a tease! Just when you think it's all figured out he throws in the ambiguity spanner - conspiracy theorists friend. The protagonists may be down - but are they out? We may never know! Is there another book with this story as a back-drop in the offing I wonder? Here's hoping for an off-shoot (this one is the end of a trilogy after all).

If you love multi-layered plots, complex characterisation (I loved the twist of John Zandt in the 2nd and 3rd books - I really empathised with him in the first novel and lost this dfrip by drip as he becomes tainted. The Nietzean philosophy about those who observe monsters come true) and authors that play with your mind in the form of multiple and layered manipulative device mechanisms whilst telling you a great yearn (or many in this case!), then this is for you. Some of the other reviewers seem set to make this a conspiracy thriller - but that is just one component of many in this wonderful multi-genre, multi-layered novel. It's part; psychological thriller, crime thriller,espionage thriller, action novel, conspiracy thriller, biological thriller, horror, and has political/Corporate corruption, romance and humour all thrown into the mix (and that's before we even mention the serial killer aspect! LoL!) for good measure. This trilogy will just blow your socks off (Especially if The Straw Men have anything to do with it!) - Forget Dan Brown,this is much more satisfying.

If you like any of the above genres I mentioned, then you will love this trilogy. I do suggest reading them in succession to get the full impact of the story without missing anything. A brilliantly original, thrilling, well written and an easy but intelligent read that will have something (well, many somethings I would think) to appeal to most readers. You won't be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking Book, 6 Jun 2005
This review is from: Blood of Angels (Hardcover)
I read The Straw Men in a matter of days, taking it to work to read and stealing a look at it when ever I could - so addictive was it. The Lonely Dead was a little disappointing in comparison - a good read, but not having quite that spark. 'Blood of Angels' is more like Straw Men. I picked it up Monday morning and stayed up late to finish it sunday night, each moment when the book wasn't in my hands I itched to get back to it. The plot threads are greatly disparate yet are brought together beautifully. The writing retains the flashes of humour and brutality of the previous books, yet takes the action up to a greater scope. After reading the disaster of Adept, it was gratifying to read a thriller that was actually thrilling. Five stars, maybe only just sneaking that fifth star but five nevertheless. Superb!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Truly Chilling tale, 25 Jun 2014
This review is from: Blood of Angels (Kindle Edition)
From the master of the skewed reality cones another strange tale - and perhaps the most creepy thing of all, is that it seems all too believable...

Blood of Angels
Blood of Angels by Michael Marshall (Paperback - 30 Jan 2006)