5.0 out of 5 stars The best for Red Sea divers, 7 Jun 2007
This review is from: Coral Reef Guide Red Sea (Paperback)
Simply put, this is the best guide to the marine life of the Red Sea available today. Great images, reliable identification, clear and interesting texts, enormous scope, handy size, reasonable price - what more could one ask? Divers and u/w photographers planning to visit this specific area cannot do without it - one of its authors, Robert Myers, has also produced another landmark in area-specific marine life guidebooks, the incredibly complete Micronesian Reef Fishes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable guide, 13 Sep 2005
This review is from: Coral Reef Guide Red Sea (Paperback)
My partner and I took this book to Sharm El Sheikh for our first underwater excursion in the Red Sea. We used it everyday! It's full of great photos of fish and, by the time we came home, we could identify lots of different types of fish, coral etc. It also has information about the fish so that when you're looking at them you know a bit about them which I think is important. It tells you which fish are dangerous as well and how to stay safe. It enhanced my trip immensely and I would recommend it to anyone with a love of the natural world.

4.0 out of 5 stars Covers more species in total than "Red Sea Reef Guide", 9 Sep 2008
This review is from: Coral Reef Guide Red Sea (Paperback)
From the books about coral reef life in the Red sea I have seen and used this one, Coral Reef Guide Red Sea by Lieske & Meyers (2004), has the best coverage of species and groups I have wanted to identify. The closest alternative, or complement, I know about now is "Red sea reef guide" by Helmus Debelius (2 ed 2000 - 5 ed 2007). The latter has almost 900 scientific names in the index, compared with around 1800 for this one (but some of these are genera, families, classes and other group names). The weights and sizes of these books are almost the same (384 pages vs 321 in Debelius). Almost all species in Debelius book seem to be included in this book. Apart from Debelius book the closest competitor to me seem to be "Reef fishes and corals of the red sea" by Harrison and Misiewicz (2000), which has some good text and pictures but covers about 250 species only.

To provide some examples, Lieske and Meyers book has 30 pages about Cnidarians (corals and more) vs Debelius 5 pages. Fishes, reptiles and mammals are covered in 212 pages for around 600 species, vs Debelius 223 pages for slightly fewer species. If you are interested also in sponges, algae and seagrasses the choice is simple - 16 pages in Lieske and Meyers and none in Debelius. For Molluscs the figures are 40 vs 48. Counting pages can be misleading of course: for cone shells (a mollusc group) I prefer this book over Debelius, not only because it shows 13 species vs 3 in Debelius, but also for more informative descriptions. There are other species or groups where Debelius provides more details.

So, if you are interested in everything visible at the coral reefs of the Red sea, you surely want both this book and others. But if I had to choose one, it would be this one. For the next edition I would be happy to see even more species included.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent guide for underwater enthusiasts, 27 Jun 2007
Miss HUCKLE "Travelbuggirl" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coral Reef Guide Red Sea (Paperback)
A really good detailed book for anyone who wants more information on the underwater species in the Red Sea. I am really impressed. The photos are clear and better than the drawings you get in many fish guides. The book also covers corals and mammals as well as fish and is very comprehensive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Coral Reef Guide, 14 Dec 2009
Ms. RJ Williams (Stafford, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coral Reef Guide Red Sea (Paperback)
A great price for this book which is packed with information on the species living in the Red Sea as well as teaching you about the workings of any coral reef and it's beginnings.
I couldn't find it cheaper either second hand or new elsewhere on the internet.
I like the fact it comes in a plastic cover so will be less likely to get damaged if taken diving.
Prompt delivery, all round excellent.

4.0 out of 5 stars Heavy book but a comprehensive guide, 4 Dec 2012
J. Scott-mandeville "jackie veronica" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Coral Reef Guide Red Sea (Paperback)
I bought this book for my sister who, at the age of 60, still scuba-dives in the Red Sea every year. She doesn't bother with reference books usually, but this is an excellent Guide, with wonderful colour plates, and will be a super reminder of all that she saw when she is too old to see the beautiful underwater corals and colourful fish for herself.

But this Guide would suit anyone with an interest in coral reefs, even if you only see them on television. Identifying the different fish and corals fascinates me - it has done ever since the black and white Jacques Cousteau series on TV in the early sixties. If you haven't been to the Red Sea before, this book will whet your appetite.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good All round Book, 14 Dec 2009
A. Murray "douglas bainbridge" (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coral Reef Guide Red Sea (Paperback)
We saw this book when were out in Sharm el Sheikh, having spent the week snorkelling. We had been able to pick up some info about a few of the fish we'd seen from the basic pamphlets you could buy in the tourist shops, but this book is packed with excellent photos and it is very easy to identify fish and coral from the book. There is plenty of information about each type of fish, and although it doesn't include every variety of every fish you might see, you can easily narrow it down to a particular type just byt looking at the photos and descriptions of habitat and the like.
I would recommend this book to anyone who is going snorkelling or diving and wants a good reference book to accompany them on holiday.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really very good, 10 April 2009
P. A. Lavender (Switzerland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coral Reef Guide Red Sea (Paperback)
The book contains very beautiful pictures of the fish, and my partner and I enjoyed looking them up to find out what we had just seen. Added immensely to the whole experience. Some useful information on dangerous creatures too (although you have to flick through the book a lot to find the pictures - maybe an extra pull-out would have been a good idea, after all it's pretty important!). Doesn't contain any information on basic snorkeling technique and tips, but it doesn't claim to - so I can hardly complain about that! Just so you know. Would definitely recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's everywhere!, 23 Mar 2014
This review is from: Coral Reef Guide Red Sea (Paperback)
Any dive operation in Egypt that you visit has a copy.
That says it all really.
It is the standard text.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best I've seen, 4 April 2014
This review is from: Coral Reef Guide Red Sea (Paperback)
I have been diving in the Red Sea for some years and using an identification chart but this book has made me realise just how many species there are. Very detailed, well illustrated and very informative. Can't wait to go again with renewed interest.

Coral Reef Guide Red Sea
Coral Reef Guide Red Sea by Robert F. Myers (Paperback - 5 April 2004)