Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 May 2007
Never mind the kids, this is a book every adult should read too ! I came across it some years ago when my marriage had just ended and I found it a beacon of extremely positive thought ... years later I still find it inspirational ! My heartfelt thanks to Dr Seuss !
on 11 March 2000
This book says everything a parent could ever want to to say to their child when they first leave home and go out into the big wide wonderful world. I love it and have given it to each of my children.
on 29 September 2009
This little book is delightful. The drawings are fantastic. They are so funny and imaginative. And the text seems very light and comical. But it is, in fact, a very good summing up of what life will bring. It's really a philosophical book. I doubt that many children will realise this because of the way the text has been fitted into funny rhymes. This book is a gem. As an adult, I truly appreciate the wisdom of it.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 12 March 2015
This book is fabulous on so many levels, you have your rhyming fun for the little ones starting to read and you have a motivational speech for teenagers who are just setting out on their journey in life and you have wisdom for those of us who have been around for a while and seen a few things.
I adore this book, i just wish I could read it without tearing up each time I read about the waiting place !!!
on 10 October 2001
I came across this book again lately after a few years absence and it's still as sweet and smart as ever. All I can say is that every parent should give this to their children and help them to understand what a truly great person they are, no matter how bad they may feel from time to time.
If you like this, you'll love 'I had trouble in getting to Solla-Sollew'. The same upbeat message but just a liitle more subtle.
on 8 September 2000
During one of the most difficult times of my life I read this book to my kids. The optimism and excitement it filled me with then are still with to this day. (The kids liked it too !)
on 17 November 1998
This book says :- You're going out into the world, it'll be miserable, it'll be wonderfull, it WILL be worth it.
This book will go down well for any 18th, 21st, 30th or 65th birthday present, leaving home or first job.
on 18 July 2003
My sister bought this book for me when I was pregnant and I read it to my bump a few times each week. The rhythm of the words is like a melody and when my baby was small I could soothe her with these words again. Of course, that could be said for all Dr Seuss books, but there is something special about the message in this book that the world is your oyster.
It was a special gift with a lot of sentiment of hope and joy that this newborn child is a blank canvas with so many places to go.
on 17 December 2014
Lovely book with beautiful words. I actually bought this to hand to my daughter's teachers at the end of each school year so they could fill in a short message. We'll give it to my daughter when she leaves education. We're on the 3rd year this year and recommend others do the same!
on 24 March 2016
This is just a classic that speaks to the potential of children in the most imaginative way. It is a truly inspirational book.

Following a nameless child through a series of fantastical (yet familiar) scenarios, led by Seuss' trademark rhyming, "Oh, The Places You'll Go" covers the trials and tribulations of learning who you are and what you want to do with your life... and some of the things you'll encounter on the journey.

It doesn't pull punches and isn't in any way saccharine. Loneliness, failure, boredom and feelings of being unfulfilled are all addressed in certain ways. But the positivity is overwhelming and you can't help but be touched by the message. The conclusion is almost physically uplifting.

Reading this to a child, you're opening their world to the possibilities ahead of them in life -