5.0 out of 5 stars Give this to somebody, they'll love it
This book says :- You're going out into the world, it'll be miserable, it'll be wonderfull, it WILL be worth it.
This book will go down well for any 18th, 21st, 30th or 65th birthday present, leaving home or first job.
Published on 17 Nov 1998

3.0 out of 5 stars Great value
Great little book well worth having good little stocking filler or party bag filler good quality and bonus of being educational
Published 7 months ago by Kim Boot

5.0 out of 5 stars Give this to somebody, they'll love it, 17 Nov 1998

5.0 out of 5 stars Adam, 17 May 2007
This review is from: Oh, The Places You'll Go!: Yellow Back Book (Dr Seuss - Yellow Back Book) (Dr. Seuss Yellow Back Books) (Paperback)
Never mind the kids, this is a book every adult should read too ! I came across it some years ago when my marriage had just ended and I found it a beacon of extremely positive thought ... years later I still find it inspirational ! My heartfelt thanks to Dr Seuss !

5.0 out of 5 stars If you only give your child one book make it this one, 11 Mar 2000
By A Customer
This book says everything a parent could ever want to to say to their child when they first leave home and go out into the big wide wonderful world. I love it and have given it to each of my children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Knowing and going, 5 Jan 2006
Kurt Messick "FrKurt Messick" (London, SW1) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Of Seuss-an reviews this is the third
Likely my last, mostly absurd
But I had to think of life's general direction
And that brought me to this little reflection
The places we go
The places we know
The things that we show
The hearts that all glow
Life is but a journey friend
And friend with friend up till the end
We should be happy and we should be free
You should be you and I'll just be me
And OH, OH, the places we'll go
We'll go hither and we'll go fro
Over the rainbow and under a smile
Making the light year seem less than a mile
My own trek is one through theology
Determined it feels by biology
And compels me upon my wonderful way
And never doubting it for a day
That this is where I'm called to be
This is what I'm charged to see
By some much grander holy light
Which may someday give me greater sight
And until then the faith I'll hold
To try to make the journey bold
So that everyplace will feel like home
For everyplace is someone's home
Be it brown or be it blue
In a castle or a shoe
In the up and out the down
Journeying through every town
And still there will be more places to go
Still more ways in which we can grow
But may we never outgrow the Seuss
For then, dear friends, life's not much use
This is a lesser-known Dr. Seuss book, but still a great story and great learning device. This is especially well suited for children who are going through a transition or change in life, to show them in a cute and memorable way that life is journey in and of itself, and that there are good things to be found when leaving the security and safety of home.
An excellent text for children who may be nervous about going to school, going on a trip, or major life changes, this book is real treasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars A better Christening gift than a silver spoon!, 18 July 2003
By A Customer
My sister bought this book for me when I was pregnant and I read it to my bump a few times each week. The rhythm of the words is like a melody and when my baby was small I could soothe her with these words again. Of course, that could be said for all Dr Seuss books, but there is something special about the message in this book that the world is your oyster.
It was a special gift with a lot of sentiment of hope and joy that this newborn child is a blank canvas with so many places to go.

5.0 out of 5 stars The simplest, yet one of the most impressive books I've read, 8 Sep 2000
By A Customer
During one of the most difficult times of my life I read this book to my kids. The optimism and excitement it filled me with then are still with to this day. (The kids liked it too !)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great example of the brilliance of Dr Seuss, a gift for debutant(e)s of all ages, 30 May 2009
Nicholas J. R. Dougan "Nick Dougan" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Oh, The Places You'll Go was a surprise inclusion in a box of books to read before attending a business course, and was the first in the box that I read. The fact that it was just 44 pages long* - and not all of those with text on them - helped, but so too was the surprise and recollection of some of these books that I read as a kid. I had come across Dr Seuss rather late in my childhood - either my mother hadn't come across him or had dismissed him as an unwelcome American influence - but I remember reading several once I found them in the local library. The Lorax was one I remember - an early environmental story that I loved. Then I forgot all about Dr Seuss, pretty much, until today, and I suddenly realise that I never got my own children any of his books when thye might most have appreciated them.

This book is about setting yourself targets and objectives, stepping out to achieve them, and dealing with the "bang-ups and hang-ups" that may happen on the way. As with all of Dr Seuss's books, it cries out to be read aloud, and I say that as someone who doesn't always bother to read poetry aloud (which may be why I don't read a lot of poetry, of course). It is, as the blurb on the inside front cover says, "the perfect send off for children starting out in the maze of life, be they nursery school grads or medical school achievers".

I'm not going to exaggerate the extent to which I think that this book is going to inspire me in and of itself, but it's great fun, and would make a very appropriate gift for kids embarking on a new stage in their lives, or a quirky and amusing gift for adults similarly doing something new. And both the verse and illustrations are superb!

*The next shortest was the "One Minute Manager" by Blanchard and Johnson, at 111 pages, since you ask.

5.0 out of 5 stars inspiration when you need it most .. give it to a friend, 2 Jun 1999
By A Customer
lost in a lonely world of your own .... sometimes its you you have to be friends with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Appropriate Confidence-Building for Children of All Ages!, 19 May 2004
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Researchers constantly find that reading to children is valuable in a variety of ways, not least of which are instilling a love of reading and improved reading skills. With better parent-child bonding from reading, your child will also be more emotionally secure and able to relate better to others. Intellectual performance will expand as well. Spending time together watching television fails as a substitute.
To help other parents apply this advice, as a parent of four I consulted an expert, our youngest child, and asked her to share with me her favorite books that were read to her as a young child. Oh, the Places You'll Go! was one of her picks.
This book describes a future filled with unlimited potential ('you can steer any direction you choose'), success ('you'll pass the whole gang and you'll soon take the lead'), set-backs ('you can get all hung up on a prickle-ly perch'), and overcoming obstacles ('somehow you'll escape all that waiting and staying').
Many will mischaracterize this book. Since it starts with the words, 'Congratulations! Today is your day.', some will see it only in the context of some special event. At one level, it could certainly be a graduation present for a high school or college grad. At another level, it can be given to those who are moving on from one school to another. You can also see it as a gift for any transition, even if from one grade to the next.
But, I think that the more important application of this book is in setting a standard of parental beliefs for your child about one's child's future life. Psychologists in book after book tell us that parents tend not to be supportive enough, and that teenagers and adult children feel that they have never lived up to their parents' standards. This book can play a very important role in conveying what those standards are and making them match up nicely with what will probably occur in your child's life. That's a tremendous resource, and one that all of us should avail outselves of! In particular, the end says, 'And will you succeed? Yes! You will, indeed! (98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.). Notice, that the guarantee comes after faithfully pointing out that the path to success is never straight, that there will be setbacks, and that there will be self-doubt and delays. Hearing that guarantee in the context of the likely difficulties makes one realize that optimism and perserverance are what is being encouraged here. Also, setbacks and delays are merely that ... not failure or failing to meet parental standards.
Psychologists tell us that those who believe they can succeed will put up twice the effort of those who doubt their success.
So after thinking about it, I propose that the day to give this book to someone who has never seen it before is on the darkest day of their life, when all seems bleak and impossible. It may make all of the difference. The gift will be all the more meaningful if you (or someone else) read this book to them when they were younger.
With your children, the right time to introduce this book is as young as possible, so that the belief in their success and the realistic challenges of success will be grounded as soon and as deeply as possible.
So you may give this book as a gift to the same child many times in a lifetime. But don't leave out those who need it who are not your children! They need it even more if their parents did not read Oh, the Places You'll Go! to them as a child!
After you have read this book to your child or given it as a gift to someone else, consider the other ways that you can appropriately boost the self-confidence of that person. Telling a story about your own setbacks and how you overcame them may help. Making yourself more human will also bring you closer together!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sound advice!, 29 Sep 2009
Mrs. S. C. Bush "Art lover" (Northamptonshire, England) - See all my reviews
This little book is delightful. The drawings are fantastic. They are so funny and imaginative. And the text seems very light and comical. But it is, in fact, a very good summing up of what life will bring. It's really a philosophical book. I doubt that many children will realise this because of the way the text has been fitted into funny rhymes. This book is a gem. As an adult, I truly appreciate the wisdom of it.