I Can Read With My Eyes Shut: Green Back Book (Dr Seuss - Green Back Book)
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:£5.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 29 November 2000
This Dr. Suess masterpiece has a clear message: Through reading you will find out lots of things! You don't want to miss anything, so keep at least one eye open. Some of the long, roll-off-your-tounge words included in this book are Mississippi and Indianapolis, which I had to explain to my boys. And of course there are some nonsense critters as well. This book can be read in under 5 minutes with both your eyes open. Good for ages 3-6, I reckon.
on 7 May 2004
This excellent book is both repetitive and fun, and has been a great help in helping my daughter learn to read. School reading books are "boring" and this is just the opposite - eccentric, funny and lively paced. The repetetive elements of the book are brilliant at improving and encouraging fledgling readers, and have helped to build my daughter's confidence in her own reading ability. It's a really worthwhile book to aid early reading and surprisingly it's a book about reading to help with reading.
This is a fabulous book that every parent should read with their children!
Researchers constantly find that reading to children is valuable in a variety of ways, not least of which are instilling a love of reading and improved reading skills. With better parent-child bonding from reading, your child will also be more emotionally secure and able to relate better to others. Intellectual performance will expand as well. Spending time together watching television fails as a substitute.
To help other parents apply this advice, as a parent of four I consulted an expert, our youngest child, and asked her to share with me her favorite books that were read to her as a young child. I Can Read with My Eyes Shut! was one of her picks.
To me, the brilliance of this book is in its title. This book encourages children to memorize this book. My four children all began to learn to read by first memorizing books. Then they could begin to match what they had memorized with words on the page. The next step was to then identify the word and be able to say it in an unmemorized book. Finally, they could read alone. Memorization is a key step, and I notice that many first-time parents don't realize that. Dr. Seuss provides the big clue here for children and parents. The choice of long words with funny sounds is particularly clever as a way to encourage memorizing. Who could decode Mississippi, Indianapolis, Hallelujah, Schenectady, and Wilkes-Barre the first time they saw them? Putting the place names on signs on a road emphasizes the child's obvious interest in becoming a driver some day. Brilliant!
Aside from the theme, the book has the great qualities of all Dr. Seuss's books for learning to read. There's lots of repetition. The adjectives can be translated into pictures, and the stories are humorously illustrated. For example, "I can read in red. I can read in blue. I can read in pickle color too." The four color words are all printed in a larger type size in the color described. The Cat in the Hat is wearing pickle color glasses that match the words "pickle color" in the sentence above. The rhyming scheme used throughout also makes it easier to memorize and progress.
The book also has wonderful conceptual material such as left and right examples, being upside down, and how the order of words in a sentence affects their meaning (mice on ice, and ice on mice).
Then lest your child get a subliminal message to ignore what is going on around you, Dr. Seuss points out the advantages of having your eyes open. "You'll miss the best things if you keep your eyes shut."
After you have helped your child to memorize this book and begin to notice these words around her or him, I suggest that you try writing a book like this with your child on the same theme. You will probably have to do the writing down of words, but your child can certainly do the illustrations. In the process, you can begin to help your child learn about rhyming if you want to be ambitious. Afterwards, I suggest that you ask your child to tell you how he or she is learning to read, to encourage more consciousness of the role of memorization. Your enjoyment of poetry will always be enhanced by memorization. I suggest you try some for yourself as well.
on 4 November 2010
I bought this book for my 6 year old nephew. Having opened the book for the first time, I found myself reading the pages, once, twice and gradually realised the beauty of the words as I was not reading but singing the words. I read the book at least 10 times before post it to my newphew. This book is not just an introduction to reading but also to the pleasure of poetry. It has abeautiful ending telling the child why he/she should read. I would suggest the ideal age for this book is 4 or 5. From educational points of view the rythm and the words are put so skillfully together that a youngster will remember the words for sometime or even for life. Reading this book is a nostalgic part of childhood. My nephew has read the book countlessly so as his parents and his great parents. This book is fun and I will treat myself to a copy as a Xmas Present.
on 7 May 2004
This excellent book is both repetitive and fun, and has been a great help in helping my daughetr learn to read. School reading books are "boring" and this is just the opposite - eccentric, funny and lively paced. The repetetive elements of the book are brilliant at improving and encouraging fledgling readers, and have helped to build my daughter's confidence in her own reading ability. It's a really worthwhile book to aid early reading and surprisingly it's a book about reading to help reading.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Aside from the theme, the book has the great qualities of all Dr. Seuss's books for learning to read. There's lots of repetition. The adjectives can be translated into pictures, and the stories are humorously illustrated. For example, "I can read in blue. I can read in pickle color too." The four color words are all printed in a larger type size in the color described. The Cat in the Hat is wearing pickle color glasses that match the words pickle color in the sentence above. The rhyming scheme used throughout also makes it easier to memorize and progress.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Got this to help encourage our son to read when he was at pre-school and just kept saying 'you read it'. He just wasn't interested in reading other early reader books - but this one grabs the attention because it has the quirkiness and humour of Doctor Seuss, the wonderful rhymes, and because you really do interact with the book - turning it upside down to read some upside down or circular bits, and so on. And because he wanted to read it, he tried harder, and read it very well. Have to say though, once it had been read 2 or 3 times he moved on to something else - but even so I think it is worth getting just to get them started on reading and to show it can be fun and rewarding.
on 18 June 2009
My son started to read when he was 3, and got really enthusiastic about reading when I bought him The Cat In The Hat/The Cat In The Hat Comes Back. Since then, I have bought him several more Dr Seuss books which he reads again and again and again. I Can Read With My Eyes Shut, which is the latest addition to his collection is no exception to this.
It's quite a short book, but written in Dr Seuss' inimitable style of repetition and rhyme with a slightly crazy edge to it.
Now that he is 5, with a reading age of 8, this book is probably a little too easy for him, but there are are a few longer words that caught him out.