on 19 November 2002
Dr Suess was quite simply one of the 20th centuries greatest writers. Naturally, the childrens story genre is never seen in the same light of the 'great novels' but praise need be given where praise is due. The poetry, the homour, the depth of imagination, the vision to be able to delve into the child's mind and pluck out their inner fears, frolics, and fantasies; he did it all brilliantly!
In my humble opinion Green Eggs and Ham is the ultimate prize jewel in the crown of the good Dr's work. The plot is based (loosely!) on every childs fear of being forced to eat food they hate. Sam-I-Am takes us on a rollar coaster of a tall tale bound with the most classic of Dr Seuss's poetical wit and set to the most wonderfully drawn cartoons that help to open the child's imagination up to the ludicrous possibilities of the 'Seuss world'.
The story goes from the sublime to the ridiculous; this being the inevitable beatuiful place that all of Dr Suess's works end up. And any child will be left breathless, inspired, and more than likely in hysterics.
When I owned this book as a child I read it over and over until I knew it off-by-heart. I've probably read it over 50 times and if I sat down with a copy right now I would read it cover to cover and enjoy it just as much as ever.
If you have kids, know some kids, can find some kids (or like me if you just are a big kid!) buy this book and watch it be devoured and cherished. Thank you Dr. Suess, you are quite simply brilliant!
on 3 June 2007
I am not going to single out one title in particular because each title is a gem.

Every person young and old should own the Dr Seuss collection.

My dad bought the collection for my eldest when he was 3.

Back then he used to think the stories were funny and he loved the pictures.

Now seven years old, he can see that the stories are also clever. He is understanding and pointing out the life lessons...... they are making him think! They make me think!!

I have another 3 year old now and he loves them just as much as his big brother.

They are bouncy and hypnotic, clever and funny, deep and light hearted, shaming (points the mirror sometimes), lifting and encouraging........ really, really wonderful.

Thank you Dad for giving me and my children Dr Seuss!
on 12 July 2002
Many parents have the chore of reading bedtime tales to their little ones. At the end of a long, hard day it's probably the last thing on your wishlist of things to do(crashing out is probaly the first)
This little smasher is the antidote to the BTS (bed time story) Blues ... once you've started, you just let the story just bounce along until at the end, everyone's smiley again..
on 14 January 2004
My son was brought this book by a great aunt, who is also a primary school teacher, when he was almost three. Both him and my younger son (one at the time) loved the rhyming text. The story is very clever and has encouraged my son to try any food even if he doesn't like the look of it. A fantastic fun book which entertains and enlightens children.
on 29 March 2003
I bought this book for my 2 year old.
He absolutely loves it (and so do I) - the rhyming makes it easy to read and remember - he joined in with it on the 3rd reading.
The lift the flaps make it interactive and fun.
The stickers were and added bonus - although we don't know where some of them are supposed to go and so have a good 10 stickers stll on the sheet.
I would thoroughly recommend this to anyone with a young toddler - it's the easiest of the Dr Seuss books for a child to understand.
VINE VOICEon 14 June 2007
Much has been written about how Green Eggs and Ham is about leaving our comfort zone to try new things, and how it's like an allegory of telemarketeers changing their tactics in order to sell their products. However, I would like to mention the amazing thing about how Dr. Seuss only used 50 words for this book. Seuss has come up with a hilarious story with his rhymed silliness, but this story allows us to see how the negations get compounded as this cumulative story progresses, no matter how many settings Sam-I-am persuades his client to eat his plate of green eggs and ham. This is truly an exhilarating book that should count as one of Seuss's masterpieces.
on 30 August 1999
'Green eggs and ham' features Dr Seuss' famous Cat in the Hat, who attempts, and eventually succeeds, in persuading a character to eat 'green eggs and ham. Sounds horrible but it is not! The illustrations are fantastic and appeal to children from very young upwards. The text rhymes and lends itself to storytelling drama, with repetition and rhyming allowing even the youngest children to enjoy the sound of the words, even before they understand. Recommend it to anybody with a child from one year up to, say, five.
on 24 November 2001
I'm a Brit living in Norway.
I remembered reading 'Green Eggs & ham' in my infant school.
Having children of my own, I decided to give it a go and buy several of the Dr seuss books - I'm so glad I did -I have had them 5 days now. My daughter speaks both languages, but I hardly hear her repeating any Norwegian books - She goes round all day repeating the verses of the three Dr seuss books,(after only reading them to her twice).They're not just a bed time favourite either - when I'm not reading them to her - she's looking at them herself and repeating what she remembers.
I have just ordered 6 other titles.
I Really Do Like Eggs And Ham, October 17, 2013

This review is from: Green Eggs & Ham (Hardcover)
Theodore Geisel, aka, Dr Seuss, was a brilliant man. Not only did he graduate from Dartmouth, but after his death, his family gave the Medical School a very large endowment. It is now known as the Geisel School Of Medicine. Green eggs and ham, may have very well sent many to seek medical advice.

I wonder how many of our children remember this book, 'Green Eggs And Ham' as one of the first books in their memory. The vivid, colorful pictures, the rhyming rhyme of the words. The nonsense of it all hit their funny bones as much as it does for the adults. "I do not like Green Eggs and Ham, I do not like it Sam I am". How often every day do we hear those words? Never mind that fool of a Senator who read these books, that almost spoiled my day. But, we must overcome that foolish incident, and move on. I really do like eggs and ham, just not the green ones.

The entire set of books by Dr Seuss, is one of the heritages of our lives. Read them all, laugh out loud, have a good time.

Highly Recommended. prisrob 10-17-13
on 2 March 2004
This was the first book i was ever able to read. My father used to read it to me and then i back to him every night and i never grew bored of it.
This book is one that is not only very funny, but also teaches us to try new things and not cast things away until we have experienced them. This book is extremely positive and i would recommend it to readers of all ages.
This book got me into reading.