5.0 out of 5 stars A cringeworthy fun frolic for kids of all ages!
Published on 30 Oct 2001 by chantelle.house@virgin.net

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Its good !!
Published 1 month ago by Suzie K-H

5.0 out of 5 stars A cringeworthy fun frolic for kids of all ages!, 30 Oct 2001
This book makes you cringe, laugh and want to cry! The minxy Cat in the Hat decides to brighten up 2 bored children's day - with disasterous consequences. The hilarious rhyming escapades roll off the tongue so easily when reading to a child that they soon pick up the next lines themselves. I have been reading this to kids for years and I still love it as much as they do. Once you have entered the crazy world of Dr Seuss and his natilly accessorized feline, you won't want to leave. Hilarious fun for big kids and little ones!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A word just absurd, 22 Dec 2005
Kurt Messick "FrKurt Messick" (London, SW1) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Cat in the Hat: Green Back Book (Dr Seuss - Green Back Book) (Paperback)
I could not not review this book
I could not let it be forsook
for on this day was Geisel born
that we should not be so forlorn
What would I do without the cat?
Where would I be without the hat?
I do not know, I can not say
I wouldn't want to see that day
For in this book, so short and sweet
is such, for all, a great big treat
The cat of mischief, cat of wise
Cat with gleaming knowing eyes
And of the hat!
What's up with that?
Where did those stripes come from?
Yes I know
Poor grammar, oh,
I'm really not that dum!
I would the world would know the cat
I hope the world will wear the hat
Can such a book be left alone?
Can such a tale be overblown?
I thinkest not, I thought antiquely
For this is writing most uniquely
And such will never come again
To grace the page with such a pen
To give us such unbridled joy
To please and, yes, and to annoy
But in the end to satisfy
With merriment and laughing sigh
For on this day we give our thanks
For treasure that is not in banks
But on the printed page before us
Thank you, oh dear Dr. Seuss!
------------------------
I wrote this in honour of Theodor Geisel, also known as Dr. Seuss, on the anniversary of his birthday. Using a vocabulary of a mere 223 words, 'The Cat in the Hat' has become a standard children's classic throughout the English-speaking world. I remember as a child delighting at the discovery of rhyming words and what fun they could be, and when coupled with the imaginative drawings and simple yet engaging plot lines, Dr. Seuss became my favourite almost instantly.
The plot of 'The Cat in the Hat' is simple yet meaningful. A cat, a perfect creature for exhibiting independence and mischief, is befriended by children who express delight, astonishment, and occasional disapproval of their be-hatted feline. Children learn behaviour in a humourous and touching way by relating to the children.
However, all of Seussian literature was almost not to be. Geisel had literally dozens of rejections for his early works, from publishers who doubted the appeal or the marketability. Fortunately for us, Geisel continued to pursue both writing and publication, which he continued up to the time of his death in 1991. He still had a book on the bestseller list at that time.
Long Live Dr. Seuss!

5.0 out of 5 stars top fun with dr seuss, 23 Oct 2000
I am buying this book for the second time. We bought it en route to holiday in Italy for my dughter (then aged 3.75). We had it and one other Dr Seuss book (The Places You'll Go) and the two kept her happy for a week. We read the two to her a thousand times and, half-way through the week, she had learned The Cat In The Hat almost by-heart and recited it while turning the pages on cue. A tremendous book. I love Dr Seuss books because they are actually entertaining to read time after time. With other books I end up tearing my hair out. But I get huge enjoyment from reciting Dr Seuss ad infinitum. Back to The Cat In The Hat - we inadvertently left it in Italy but - stuck in Milan airport for half a day because of computer chaos in Heathrow, and thereafter trapped on the tarmac for hours - my daughter and I spent most of that time trying to piece together the book entirely from heart. We still fall back on it on tiresome journeys and I am so pleased that, before she is four, she has already developed such a love of books that my promise of replacing The Cat In The Hat is regarded by her with true excitement. I have loved books for as long as I can remember, and my fondest hope is that I can inspire my kids with a love of reading so that they can be propelled through school by the desire to learn, rather than by externally applied pressure. I have to say that, a practitioner of adult rather than child education, I think that Dr Seuss books are the finest encouragement available.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book ever written, 1 Jun 2000
By A Customer
Forget about all the other books you've ever read, this will almost certainly be better than any other. I first read it when I was about 5, and now as a 14 year old I still love it. Its a brilliant book which I have problems putting down. It even has a moral to the story- dont let strangers, especially cats with funny hats and bow ties, into your home while the parents are away.There's funny pictures and an angry fish. Just what you need in a book. A must have for children of all ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars An invaluable book to help early readers read out loud, 21 April 2004
Chrestomanci (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
There are so many great things that can be said about this truly classic book: the witty plot, hilarious rhymes and wonderfully quirky illustrations. Now, with the release of a new children's film, the original story will be brought to a whole new generation of readers.
However, the initial concept of this book: specifically intended to be a unique teaching aid should never be overlooked.
When Dr Seuss designed this book, the words he chose were no accident. He deliberately set out to construct a story using a strictly limited vocabulary of short, easily recognisable words ... repeating them at regular intervals. In the hands of a lesser author the result could have been deadly dull, but Dr Seuss creates a story with a real page-turning plot, a vibrant central character and a great ending! As the simple words are read over and over again, the deveoping young reader soon starts recognising them.
The rhyming format was no coincidence either. Once a young reader can identify a word such as POT, it is a simple step for them to attempt deciphering the likes of NOT, HOT and LOT etc. The cunning use of rhyming couplets also enables the inexperienced reader to make a calculated guess at some words even if they can only identify the first letter or two ... and as an inevitable result, their confidence in reading for themselves is swiftly increased.
I have used this book with struggling young readers and watched their progress with delight. The slick wittiness of the text and illustrations will even prevent older children with reading difficulties from feeling they are attempting something too babyish.
For the very youngest (not reading yet but following the finger along as they are read to out loud) the repeating rhymes encourage them to join in too ... and gradually the words on the pages start to become recognisable.
I recommend following this book up with 'Green Eggs and Ham' another Dr Seuss specifically designed to work in the same way.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent first book for a reluctant reader, 3 May 2000
By A Customer
One of the first books my daughter read for herself - great fun, full of easy rhymes and hilarious situations, even a thought provoking ending! I was disappointed when she no longer needed me to read it to her!

5.0 out of 5 stars Childhood memories relived with this book, 29 Jan 2011
P. Butera (Palermo, Italy) - See all my reviews
"The Cat in the Hat" is a masterpiece by Dr.Seuss. Every child (ages 2 to 8) and every parent of children that age should read this BOOK. Through simple and non-threatening psychology, "The Cat in the Hat" delivers a good and wholesome message to children: (Don't want to ruin the book, so go and have a look!!).
I teach English to different age groups and this book has helped me with Youth groups and Teen groups (basic level) too. No one complains, the "music" of the words is incredible. I hope you enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crazy!!! Oh so brilliant!, 24 Mar 2002
By A Customer
I love this book! i am currently a teenager and read it when i was young. I bought it a few weeks ago and i love it! the madness the rhymes and everything just compliments such a wackey title. This is a marvellous book for young children and i personally recommend it for everyone. I love the work of Dr. suess. The supberb Illustrations just compliment the style of his limerick. The story is great and the illustrations are so different to what you would find in toher childrens books. I love this book and all others by Dr Suess.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Like This Book. I Like It A Lot., 4 Mar 2004
This is a timeless children's classic, and it certainly encouraged me to start reading when I was a young child (30 years ago). I recall my dad reading it to me, reading the rhymes faster and faster whilst I gazed over his shoulder at the mad illustrations.
Now I have my own young children, I've book a selection of Dr Seuss books, and this one has to be our collective favourite. It has an amusing story, great illustrations, and some tongue-twisting rhymes. My son never fails to giggle when the fish lands in the pot. Does the fish like that? No, he does not.

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as I remember!, 2 Feb 2009
I bought this for a seven year old girl for Christmas because I LOVED it as a child. Well so does she. It is the first book she has read from cover to cover without putting it down, she has read it to anyone who will sit and listen to her. A super book which encourages reading. BE WARNED this book may start a lifelong love affair with the written word...

The Cat in the Hat: Green Back Book (Dr Seuss - Green Back Book)
4.79