Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 March 2006
I first read my first Eddings novel many years ago and was instantly in love with the magical storytelling, the complexity and depth of the characters, the wit & humour, the dialogue and the craftmanship of that novel and every subsequent novel - I even named my son after one of the characters! I could visuliaze each twist and turn, country, conversation, interaction, fight, death, romance and character almost to the point of reality and I read each book with my heart in my mouth, desparate to get to the end and the next novel. Which is why I am so unbelievably disappointed with this novel and indeed the previous one! Repetitive storylines and parallel characters to other series, see through conclusions and oh so wordy... took me one week to read 1 series before, this novel took me 3 months as I lost the will to read it and finally it was relegated to my 'ahem' bathroom read! Uninpiring and boring, I'm only going to read the next one because it surely can't be any worse and I want to see if it rehashes the first 2 books in the same way this one did for the 1st! and please can we see women who capable and competent or even falible but just don't fall into any of the 3 categories of cute & cuddly or uber-amazon men hating good fighters or mystical, willowy and all knowing; oh and can the bad guys score a win for once - just for the pure hell of it!
on 29 July 2005
This new series from David eddings is a very poor effort. He has made blatent use of "cut and paste" from previous books. There are lots of examples: A child godess who gets her way by kissing people. An archer who never misses (albeit an intellegent one) a large red bearded warrior, to name but a few. You get the distinct impression that the publisher has pushed for another series and the best Eddings et al can do is to re-hash old characters and put them in s slightly different setting. I'm being generous in giving this series 1-star. If you are an ardent David Eddings fan, I would advise you not to buy any book in this series (so far, I have bought all 3 in the hope they get better and they don't) because you will be extremely disappointed.
on 29 July 2004
After a dissapointing start with the Elder Gods, I was prepared to give the series another chance. I loved all of Edding's previous series, especially the Sparhawk books, but I really feel that these books don't even come close to the quality Edding fans should expect. Don't get me wrong - it's a good book.
The Eddings retain their dry humour, and frequently amusing conversation - although some phrases are repeated too often, and it begins to stand out. The pace is great as usual, and the books moves along fast enough to hold your attention, and the authors handle passage of time very well, and always accord each event with the right amount of attention. But it deosn't feel as mature as the last ones, and seems to be a book more aimed at children with the writing style and characters employed. And some of the events and plans are a little to elaborate and far-fetched (I mean, come on - a desert of fake gold?) A problem Eddings has with characters is the female ones - they are always very similar in one way or the other! Its not so noticeable in the other books, but it is in these. Woman are always smart, secretive, make 'clever' remarks, are usually quite condescending to men. I asure you - if you look you will find most of these traits in nine out of ten female characters. The male characters are much better, although some of them are too constantly good, clever, honest (insert good virtues here) to be real or to be able to empathise with. To be honest I though some of the evil characters were much better than the good ones, but the bitter commander Narasan is a good character as well.
The book is good, and I am still looking forwards to the third one, but I really feel this series is a dissapointment. If you are a new Eddings reader, take my advice and read the Belgariad or the Elenium first - some of the best books I have read.
on 28 May 2006
Although I have loved Eddings work since reading the Belgariad years ago, I am really frustrated reading the 2nd book of the series. The first book was ok, but this one is just repeating the story over and over from the perspective of different characters, without really adding any new information to what we've already been given. The story is a good one, but you can only hear it so often.
on 1 August 2004
That's it - the last time I will ever buy a David Eddings novel. He has repeated the same plot using the same character profiles, only changing the name, once too often for me. Save your money for something a little more original and entertaining.
on 14 December 2004
Smug, infantile, repetitve dross.
Please don't judge David Eddings on this series as his previous books were fantastic!
on 4 July 2008
I thought this book was extremely dull. Being brought up on the great Eddings books of the past I was extremely disappointed with the first book. I decided to give him a second chance, but this book is extremely shallow and somewhat more of a childs novel than an Adults one.

I have decided not to read the rest of the series and find other authors to read while I wait for the latest Stephen Erikson and George RR Martin books to be published.

It's sad when a once great author produces such low quality works. Advice: stick the older Eddings books.
on 29 June 2005
Quite surprisingly this book wasnt quite as bad as the first one in the series, but that might be because after reading the first one my expectations were so low the fact that reading this book didnt sent me into a boredom induced coma was its main plus point.
One third of the book is dedicated to rehashing the plot of the first book and showing the back story of various characters (most of which are completely unnecessary to the plot).
And dont get me started on the authors constant repetition of the same pointless facts. A character finds out some information then goes and tells every other character the same information separately over and over again (most times using exactly the same wording)
Again the war is one by the gods waving their hands and just killing everyone - im sorry if this give the plot (what little there is) away but if it convinces anyone not to read this book my job is done.
This is one of the most annoying books I have read in a long time - if it had been about 300 pages shorter it would, maybe, have been quite good, as the parts of the story that actually advanced the plot wernt completly terrible.
All in all very very disapointing.
VINE VOICEon 1 September 2004
The Treasured One, Book 2 of The Dreamers, suffers from the same deficiencies as The Elder Gods, the first volume in the series. The plot is all too familiar and predictable, the characters are carbon copies from previous series, and the dialogues all contain the same expressions, terms and phrases.

Not only that: The Treasured One's pacing is slow. The story does not move on from the first volume properly until past the half-way point in the book. This is because, in an attempt to develop certain characters, the Eddingses tell this novel from different viewpoints. Each section starts with a mini-biography of the character and readers are forced to read about the same sequence of events many times over, albeit from different perspectives. This soon gets very arduous.

This time around, the heroes are forced to fight an army of creatures that are half-spiders and half-turtles. But yet again, the protagonists win all too easily with the help of their god allies. Conflicts are always resolved quickly and the few obstacles that the heroes encounter they overcome with ease.

There are two more books to go in this series. I'm not sure if I'll bother reading them. David and Leigh Eddings are talended writers. The Belgariad and The Elenium are two of the best fantasy series I've ever read but so far The Dreamers serves only to show that they have long run out of ideas.
on 25 August 2011
This is a review of "The Dreamers" series overall.

I'm an avid Eddings fan and have been for a couple of dozen years. I started with the Belgariad and the Mallorean, both series of five books, and both of which I have read in entirety three times, they really are that good. I moved on to the Tamuli and the Elenium (three books each per series). Of course, as Eddings released newer books I was compelled to get them too (although mostly in the recent years they've ended up on my Amazon wishlist).

Unfortunately, the quality of Eddings' work in the recent years is not up to the same standard as his original work, and "The Dreamers" series (The Elder Gods, The Treasured One, Crystal Gorge, The Younger Gods) does not do his earlier work any justice at all. They say you can't judge a book by its cover, well this also goes for an author, you can't judge an authors entire works on one book, or series and it would be a shame to judge Eddings purely on "The Dreamers".

Without wanting to become as repetitious as Edddings, I won't repeat what you can read from the other reviewers (take the words of those awarding three stars or more with a pinch of salt). Just be sensible and read the reviews of the other books in the series before you commit, especially the reviews of the final book in this series, "The Younger Gods (Dreamers 4)".