5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent way of capturing the worlds most amazing fish!, 14 Feb 2003
After having been advised by a collegue to buy this book, I can faithfully say its one of the most interesting and inspiring books I have ever read. Having been fascinated by sharks most of my life, I found this book an excellent portrayal of a creature so wrongly judged by so many. I must emphasize that throughout the book I never felt discouraged by what I was reading, as I had been briefed that the sealed section was quite horrific... I can agree the photos are not the nicest I have seen but they are informative and without them the book would have been missing that little extra bit of edge. In my opinion the best bit of the book had to be the constructive dramas, through these pages, I was able to learn of more attacks than I had previously researched and also get more answers to attacks I had queired. On the whole I feel this book should not be missed and to my fellow shark enthusiasts I hope you agree on my feelings towards the book...

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant read for anyone fascinated by shark attacks, 11 Sep 2001
By A Customer
I really can't recommend this book strongly enough to anyone who holds a fascination into the mechanics and motivation behind attacks by sharks on human beings.
If like me you consider sharks to be one of the most amazing wonders of evolution, and not just man-eating machines, then this book is for you.
If you do indeed believe that sharks simply exist to make our oceans, their home, unsafe for humans, then perhaps this title may help dispel that myth.
The title goes into great detail behind shark attacks including the creature's physiology and physical 'make-up', and includes many first hand accounts and photographs from real attacks.
Suitable for anyone, whatever their interest in sharks, there isn't much else to say really - other than buy it now!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for the faint hearted, 15 May 2013
This review is from: The Jaws Of Death (Hardcover)
Informative for all shark lovers, or people with an interest in sharks.
Yes the pictures are a needless gore fest. Quite shocking.
It has really surprising information I had not read before, I always assumed sharks have poor eyesight and see in only black & white.
Don't just buy to see the gory pictures. Much more to this book than that

5.0 out of 5 stars Been there, done that, 12 Dec 2007
As someone who is actually IN the book, I really can't recommend this book highly enough. Xavier's approach is honest, his descriptions pretty accurate and the photos relevant if somewhat gruesome. Anyone fascinated by sharks and shark attacks MUST read this - it is realistic in its approach to the dangers of shark attack but not hugely sensationalist (apart, perhaps, from the title!). The reality is that we are part of the foodchain even if only in error, and need to understand the risks and avoidance strategies necessary for anyone who spends time in or on the sea.. My only real criticism is that he has used middle names instead of forenames, but I assume there is a legal reason for this.

5.0 out of 5 stars For All Shark Enthusiasts, 16 Mar 2005
This review is from: The Jaws of Death: Shark as Predator, Man as Prey (Paperback)
Xavier Maniguet understands sharks, the book 'The Jaws of Death' is a fascinating scientific insight into the world of this predator.
It's an amazing book.

The Jaws of Death: Shark as Predator, Man as Prey
The Jaws of Death: Shark as Predator, Man as Prey by Xavier Maniguet (Paperback - 6 Oct 2003)
Used & New from: 0.01