4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining Escapism
I was really surprised to read all the so-so reviews about this book. I picked it up in an English Bookshop in Spain, needing something light-hearted after Captain Corelli's Mandolin, and while I wouldn't dare compare the two books (the latter is a work of genius) I found The Devil Wears Prada a great book to lounge on the beach with.

It tells the story of...
Published on 9 Aug 2006 by Victoria

1.0 out of 5 stars The poor man's 'Ugly Betty'!
Published on 9 Sep 2007 by Penelope

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining Escapism, 9 Aug 2006
Victoria (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Devil Wears Prada (Paperback)

It tells the story of Andrea Sachs, a college graduate who lands a job as personal assisstant to Miranda Priestly, editor-in-chief of fashion bible Runway. Andrea has no interest at all in fashion, and takes the job as a stepping stone to serious journalism. However, Miranda soon proves to be the boss-from-hell. Taking on this job drains Andrea's soul as she loses contact with the outside world, casting aside her family, friends and boyfriend in order to meet Miranda's outrageous demands.

While I would hesitate to call the novel funny, it is a larger-than-life look at how people sell their souls to the workplace and their bosses. It is difficult to comprehend the tasks that Andrea is asked to complete, and if indeed the author's stint working for Anna Wintour was anything like this, I feel sorry for her! It is not a masterpiece of prose fiction; however it is an easy read and perfect escapism from what we all think to be a tough old life. I can see why it has been made into a film - think Bidget Jones with a touch more sarcasm trying to totter around in 6inch Jimmy Choos with a tray of Starbucks coffee in one hand and a takeout lunch in the other, and that is Andrea Sachs. I have awarded it 4 stars because it was a light hearted, easy read, perfect for a holiday.

4.0 out of 5 stars Why all the bad reviews?!, 10 Jun 2007
This review is from: The Devil Wears Prada (Paperback)
This book isn't the best book I've ever read by far, but I really don't understand all the 1 and 2 star ratings when it's a really entertaining read! It's not exceptionally moving or groundbreaking, but it's a gripping book that you'll enjoy from start to finish as you learn more about the characters. Somebody said Andrea was one dimensional - the book's plot doesn't allow for her to develop properly, that's true - but it doesn't stop her being a fun and likeable main character. I'd definitely recommend it especially for a holiday read. The film didn't live up to the book at all!

1.0 out of 5 stars The poor man's 'Ugly Betty'!, 9 Sep 2007
This review is from: The Devil Wears Prada (Paperback)
The devil may indeed wear Prada, but the literary equivalent of houte couture this novel is not! To put it bluntly 'The Devil' is more Primark than Prada. Weisberger's book contains neither style, nor substance and upon finishing it one experiences the anticlimax of a story that never really goes anywhere. Reading this is akin to the experience of shopping in a souless high street clothes store: cheap and uninspiring and offers nothing but mass produced tat. The endless name dropping list of designers, models, actors, actresses, labels and very well known coffee shop chains only serves to hit home the damning effects of 21st century celebrity obsessed, capitalist and globalised culture. And the protagonist's claim that a very famous Brazilian supermodel is actually quite short in real life was laugh out loud unbelievable! Take my advice, ditch the book, avoid the movie and watch Ugly Betty instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars enchanting, 2 July 2007
M. Burton (Essex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Devil Wears Prada (Paperback)
I can not see how people are giving this book a low rating. I loved it. It really gripped and I could barely put it down. It is so much better than the movie. I would love to have seen some of the antics Andrea gets up to in the movie. This book is very much for the fashion loving female which is exactly me. A definite recommendation. Don't judge it until you have read it.

3.0 out of 5 stars I don't care what the Devil wears..., 9 April 2007
Mrs. Kerry Ruston (stourbridge) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Devil Wears Prada (Paperback)
I thought I would enjoy this - as I have heard about the hype, etc, but it was dull. Andrea, the main character and narrator was one-dimensional, nothing much happened (apart from Miranda the boss being bossy) and I really didn't care what happened to any of them by the time I got to the end! Oh well... NEXT!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fab beach read, 11 Nov 2006
Bex (Cumbria, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Devil Wears Prada (Paperback)
I read this book in couple of days while on holiday and thoroughly enjoyed it. It shows us just how evil the fashion industry can be! I really felt for poor Andy as she was trying really hard 'to please all of the people all of the time' and realisticaly its no wonder she eventually snapped (I wouldn't have lasted a day nevermind almost a year!). Just a quick piece of advice... If you've read the book already don't see the film - although it is very good it will dissappoint and you will be wondering where certain parts have disappeared to!

3.0 out of 5 stars Stuck in a plain rut., 20 Dec 2003
Louise (East Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Devil Wears Prada (Paperback)
I read the extract printed in the You sunday magazine a few weeks back and really enjoyed it. It seemed fast paced and exciting. On buying the book, the fast paced rush around the fashion industry continued, but that was about it. The story didn't progress and the male love interest, was nothing but a distraction, was of no relevance to anything in particular. He seemed to be written in to tick off another box in the chick lit criteria.
Overall, this book could be compared to a sunday afternoon walk, without the trees, flowers or sky. Just a bit plain.

5.0 out of 5 stars fabulous dahlings, 25 Sep 2006
This review is from: The Devil Wears Prada (Paperback)
I work for a UK/US fashion magazine and can tell you i laughed the whole way thru this book. I loved it.

Fashion magazines exploit their young staff ruthlessly. In fact my only criticism is that it wasn't BAD enough, i though Miranda Priestly got off too lightly. I have sat with many fashion editors and magazine editors who think the earth gravitates around their desks. I have sat thru the sycophancy and idiocy of London Fashion Week and you really couldn't make it up. I have worn loaned clothes from the 'fashion cupboard' on girls night out and put them back with red wine spilled down the front. I have picked up that dry cleaning and coffee so many times. I know that Lauren wrote from experience and am glad that she saw it for what it was - a time to gather enough ridiculous anecdotes together to write her funny novel, sell the film rights and then get a proper life. It's brilliant. And accurate.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyed it !, 8 Aug 2006
This review is from: The Devil Wears Prada (Paperback)
I have just fifnished reading this and I couldn't put it down. A great book if you have ever have a terrible boss or think that your job is insane. This book makes you realise that your job is not that bad. It's great fun reading about each ridiculous task that Andy is made to perform by her evil boss. If you liked 'The second assistant' you'll love this.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun but Predictable, 27 Oct 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The Devil Wears Prada (Paperback)
I bought this book with high hopes as the title caught my eye and the fact that the author was once an assistant to Anna Wintour, Editor-in-Chief at American Vogue. I expected a sassy, witty book and what I actually got was quite disappointing.
The book isn't groundbreaking. It doesn't reveal anything about the fashion world that we didn't already know. She constantly talks about the "anorexic models" as if we were oblivious to the fact that most models are underweight. And none of the characters are endearing; the main character, Andrea Sachs, is generally quite boring. Their personalities don't develop during the time you are reading.
The book is a fun, rainy-day read, but don't expect much from it. You always knew what was going to happen next, especially with the Miranda Priestly, who provides the title for the book.
For someone who has worked in the fashion industry, there is no excuse for referring to Alberta Ferreti as "Alberto Ferreti".
Read if you're bored, but don't expect anything new. The plot is non-existent and the book in general just left me feeling unfulfilled.

ARRAY(0xa8969c00)

The Devil Wears Prada
The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger (Paperback - 20 Jun 2013)
3.85