Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 18 August 2001
This book is a brilliant collection of short stories all of which are extremely spine-chilling. Each story has a certain air of mystery surrounding it as well as a sensation of nightmare. The first story which is called'The hound of death' is about a woman who sees strange apparitions after the destrution of the convent in belgium where she was a nun. The story starts of seeming quite harmless but as it goes on it gets, more and more obvious that there is more to certain characters than meets the eye. The first story is just a taster for the other, even more mysterious tales which follow. This book is definitely not for those who suffer from nightmares or are scared easily. But you would have to have read it to know whether you are.
on 8 September 2014
If you’re only a fan of Christie because of Poirot and Miss Marple then this book is not the book for you – indeed, if you only read her because of her crime writing then it’s not the book for you either. The Hound of Death is a collection of some of Christie’s finest short stories, and they’re mainly supernatural thrillers although there are a few other genres and a few hybrids included.

I actually enjoyed reading this more than some of her detective stories, because it gives you an interesting insight in to the way that the woman’s mind worked. If anything, the similarities between Christie and that other great crime writer Sir Arthur Conan Doyle are more obvious here than anywhere else – Doyle was well-known for his spiritualism and superstition at the end of his life, and he would have loved to have read this work if he’d lived for long enough.

As it is, we’re the lucky readers who get a chance to read Christie’s spine-tingling work, and I’d highly recommend picking up a copy of The Hound of Death if you can get your hands on it, particularly if you can get one of the gorgeous facsimile editions which I was lucky enough to find. You’re in for some of the finest short fiction available by any writer in any language.
on 5 September 2011
absolutely loved this, agatha at her best! just the right read on a stormy night with a mug of coco by your side! just getting to my bed was the issue as i scared myself so much! recommend this again and again!
This review is of Gillian White's Unhallowed Ground. For reasons known only to themselves, Amazon have combined the reviews for Gillian White's Unhallowed Ground and Agatha Christie's The Hound of Death. The stupidity of this has been pointed out to them, but clearly they don't care.

Georgie needs to get away from London to escape the publicity around the killing of a child while she was the social worker responsible for little Angie's case. So when she unexpectedly inherits a cottage in a tiny hamlet on Dartmoor it seems an ideal place to escape to for a few months - until she meets the strange and mostly unfriendly neighbours, that is.

White handles prose with originality and control, and in Georgie she creates a completely believable character, flawed, yes, but with an underlying strength of character that is crumbling under the guilt of the child's death. For the first half of the book, White cuts between the present and the past, letting us see the events that have brought Georgie to this place and this state of mind. Once Georgie gets to Dartmoor, the tension starts to ratchet up, while the reader is left to wonder whether the scary events are really happening or are all part of Georgie's guilt-ridden mind. As winter comes and the snow starts to fall, Georgie is trapped in the cottage and alone...

For the most part, I thought this was a first-rate slow-burn psychological thriller that kept me hooked and on edge. Unfortunately I thought the ending let the book down - without any spoilers, I felt the climax didn't quite live up to the sense of anticipation and tension that the author had so carefully built throughout. However, on the basis of this book, I am certainly looking forward to reading more of White's work. Recommended.

NB This review is of a proof copy provided by the publisher.
on 4 December 2014
Great start and quite believable and atmospheric at first. Tended to drag a bit in the middle and could have done with some proper editing to maintain the pace. Ridiculously florid and unbelievable ending - left me grimacing in embarrassment at the daftness of the gore and the sudden romance when I imagine I was supposed to be thrilled and spooked.

Who on earth proof read the book too - prolific use of 'slither' instead of 'sliver' and several other misspelt words. Annoyingly distracting.
on 30 April 2015
I have read at least seventy of Agatha's books and for a time couldn't come to terms with this book, so unlike Agatha's style of writing,although when I got to Witness for the Prosecution Agatha came to light. However I did enjoy the stories and award it 5 stars and recommended to all Kindle readers.
on 16 February 2004
Another fantastic read from Gillian White. Her ability to bring characters alive is amazing, they seem to stay with you long after the book is put aside and become a part of your everyday thoughts during and after the read.
I am usually a slow reader but I took this book everywhere with me, even in the bath, and completed it within 2 days....I just couldn't put it down!
I considered many different theories as I read, changing my mind more than once as to what the final plot may be - Only to finally find that none of my theories met with the clever finality Gillian White had created - I remember mumbling "oh my God" out loud as I read through the final chapters.
Such detail combined with so much mystery is surely a skill? These skills mixed with an intelligent yet easily dissolved language can only come to produce a winning thriller.
This was my second read, "Refuge" being my first and I now have 2 more on order......Gillian White creates a thirst within you that only more of her work can quench!
OUTSTANDING!
on 22 July 2014
An anthology from Agatha Christie is always a treat,and this is as usual a good one,that most people will enjoy...........
on 14 August 2014
Agatha Christie novels are a must - the story lines twist and turn as any good murder mystery should.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse