5.0 out of 5 stars Moving and thought provoking...
Published on 20 Feb 2004 by vicky_w99

1.0 out of 5 stars Dire
Published on 10 Jan 2005

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving and thought provoking..., 20 Feb 2004
This review is from: Best of Friends (Paperback)
I am a big fan of Irish womens literature, particularly Marian Keyes and Patricia Scanlan. I hadn't read any Cathy Kelly before this one but I will be buying every book of hers now! The story is well constructed, beautifully written, realistic and touching. The characters could be women that you know - best friends, sisters, work colleagues - they are so real. Everything starts out fine for all the characters. They are happy, settled and excited about life. Then a major tragedy occurs and they all realise how precious life is. The way Cathy Kelly writes about such a sensitive issue is incredibly moving and will bring tears to your eyes. The characters in the book are all forced to come to terms with the old cliche "you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone" and I did too. The book is very sentimental in places, but it fits and works with the story. A great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read, 4 Nov 2003
joyce brown (united kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Best of Friends (Paperback)
This is slightly different from Ms Kelly's usual style, but none the less enjoyable. It centres around four very different woman living in Ireland who don't really know each other but during the course of the story become very close through tragedy, you will laugh and cry. It is a wonderfull story that keeps you turning page after page. if you only read one boom this year make sure it is this one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dire, 10 Jan 2005
This review is from: Best of Friends (Paperback)
Having thought this would be a pleasant, easy read I was sadly dissapointed. Longwinded, overly sentinmental (how many times can you repeat the same sentiment of don't let life pass you by), depressing (I'm all for covering sad themes but this is a drawn out, cliched and unnecessary theme in this book), predictable and surrounding characters I struggled to care about. There are much better books on the market of this genre, so this one really isn't worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST OF FRIENDS CATHY KELLY, 17 May 2009
Catherine Mcdermott "darcy mcdermott" (Hampshire England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Best of Friends (Paperback)
I LOVE CATHY KELLY AND ENJOY MOST OF HER BOOKS THIS PARTICULAR BOOK WAS REALLY WELL WRITTEN AND I ENJOYED THE DEPTH OF HER UNDERSTANDING INTO DIFFERENT PEOPLE I COULD NOT PUT IT DOWN AND AM NOW CATCHING UP WITH MY CHORES THANK YOU CATHIE
CATHIE MCD

4.0 out of 5 stars Cathy does it again!, 13 Oct 2003
This review is from: Best of Friends (Paperback)
I've read all of Cathy's books and this one lives up to the rest in that it was a great story and great characters. I did feel that the Sally character wasn't all that well drawn though, not enough for me to feel huge sympathy for her - and unfortunately, the afterword at the end did give away a lot of the story and because I love reading author acknowlegements, I read this first! Still, despite knowing what was going to happen, I was still riveted.
Best of Friends is full of the warm storytelling & great characterisation that we've come to expect from Cathy Kelly and indeed all Irish writers like Patrica Scanlan, Melissa Hill & Sheila O'Flanagan. In my opinion they do it best every time.
Well done - again!

4.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 27 Feb 2004
This review is from: Best of Friends (Paperback)
Having said I would never buy another Cathy Kelly book after the dreadful Just Between Us, I gave in and was so glad I did. It was back to Cathy's usual warm, believable characters. You'll laugh and cry with the women as they battle to overcome family problems, broken marriages, and breast cancer - female bonding at its best. And unlike its error-littered predecessor, I didn't spot a single typo error!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a read!!!, 11 Oct 2003
This review is from: Best of Friends (Paperback)
I have read all of her other books but this is for me her best one yet. From the moment you read the first chapter you become interested in the charcters and their lives. It is like reading about old friends and almost feeling their pain with them. You get an understanding of why the charcters are they way they are, as she gives you little snippits of their past. This gets you even more involved with them, as you feel their pain, sadness and happiness.
It is well written and a must read - I could not put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars fab read, 13 Feb 2014
This review is from: Best of Friends (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book, and most of the characters. Didnt particularly warm to Shannon but towards the end of the book you can see that this is just how she is, and even Erin learns to accept it. Was sad about the death in the book but not many authors tackle such things so its good that Cathy did.

5.0 out of 5 stars love cathy kelly, 30 Aug 2013
June Humm "alexandria" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Best of Friends (Kindle Edition)
as usual I thoroughly enjoy all Cathy Kelly books and was not disappointed with this one awaiting her next novel

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read., 3 Aug 2013
This review is from: Best of Friends (Kindle Edition)
As usual Cathy delivers a good and absorbing story. Full of interest and would recommend this boos, a great read.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Best of Friends
Best of Friends by Cathy Kelly (Paperback - 28 Jun 2004)
Used & New from: £0.01