5.0 out of 5 stars Best book on Twins
Having just discovered that I'm about to have twins I was desperate to find out more information, I have now brought lots of books of about twins and have to say that this is the best book to buy. As well as being very practical it also explains everything in a very humorous way. I would recommend this book to any one who is having more than one baby
Published on 3 Oct. 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Not much information on toddler twins
Published on 19 Sept. 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book on Twins, 3 Oct. 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars The best twin pregnancy guide., 21 Oct. 2003
This review is from: Double Trouble: Twins and How to Survive Them (Paperback)
I found this book to be so valuable as a british woman expecting twins. Many of the books on twins are written by and for American women. This book covers things like NHS and twin birth, making a twin birth plan, not being affraid to make your choices for the birth. Also preparing for twins and the first year are also included. The other nice thing about this book is that the author has had twins recently, and so all her advice is so relevant now - everything from which 3-wheeler puch chair is most popular with twins club members to where to get the rolls royce of double breast pumps from!! well worth reading!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not much information on toddler twins, 19 Sept. 2004
This review is from: Double Trouble: Twins and How to Survive Them (Paperback)
Review synopsis suggests the book covers from birth and beyond, and expressively mentions toddlers and even teenagers. However looking at contents after it arrived, it is almost entirely dedicated to twins up to 1 year old. It may be very good at offering help & advice for this age, but not much help if you are contending with two little toddling tykes who have just turned two (or indeed older).

2.0 out of 5 stars Has This Author Even Got Twins?, 3 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Double Trouble: Twins and How to Survive Them (Paperback)
I did enjoy this book when I was pregnant - it has some nice bits in it. I re-read it after the pregnancy and I just thought "What a load of drivel". It goes something like this:-
Twins arrrrgh, they're going to be really, really hard work (brilliant as twins are) so here's a chapter on hiring help, because you must be mad if you think you can cope alone [twin mums are hardcore - you'll cope].
Twins are really hard work - you'll want your life back asap - so Gina Ford them and then you can go to the cinema whilst your hired help minds them.
Twins are really hard work, if you want to take them on holiday - sedate them for the journey (your GP will understand after all it's twins and happily hand over the sedatives).

She wants you to do an awful lot of research to find out and meet all your community midwives, hospital midwives, join this class, write a book - sorry, birthplan, drill your doctor for info on this, that and the other which is fine in theory but most pregnant twin mums can barely sum up the energy to blow their nose. The difficulties of a twin pregnancy are never explored - just a chapter on being tired, yeah right. By that I mean how dibilitating they are for the mother and if you're lucky enough to be able to keep something down for more than 30 minutes, you might not have the energy or inclination to eat a ton of vegetables but may want to go straight for something a little more crappy because that's what you can eat and want at that moment. This is a book on the 'perfect' twin pregnancy with just tiredness being the only symptom of supporting two little humans in the making.

There's a chapter on breastfeeding - and lots of reasons why not to bottle feed but sometimes breastfeeding fails but there is no practical help on bottle feeding just the feeling that if Emma Mahoney was your friend - she would judge you for not 'giving yourself to your babies'.
The author is a tad patronising too...she thinly veils her disdain for c-sections but does say (with no experience) that babies delivered by c-section are "amongst the most peaceful babies on this planet. Don't ask me why that is , but it often seems to be the case." Why Emma? Why is that the case? Rubbish, all babies cry.

The twin pram section is woefully out of date (the author says, "Buy cheap, you buy twice" but in my experience, research your prams and buy off that well known auction site. Chances are, you might not like your new buggy. There could be things that you cannot get past, eg, the weight of the pram. You may prefer a tandam to a side-by-side but you won't *know* until you test them. So *do* buy cheap because then you aren't left with a very expensive mistake that's taking up room and gathering dust in your hall) but there are little snippets of priceless advice such as 'serve cottage pie and champagne for their 1st birthday' no doubt cooked by your housekeeper and served by your au-pair or waiter and keep you husband satisfied with a quick hand job after the babies are born - perhaps you could delegate that job to your paid help?

There has to be a better and more realistic book than this, surely?

1.0 out of 5 stars Misinformed Double Trouble, 20 July 2010
This review is from: Double Trouble: Twins and How to Survive Them (Paperback)
We were excited when we learnt we had twins and looked for the best book recommendations. Our choices were limited, which may explain why this book has got so high on the list and yet is of such poor quality. It contained all the usual generalisations about twins that we found in every other subsequent book that we read and offered us nothing new.
The Author spoke with an arrogance of authority which initially gave us confidence until we realised she had no professional qualifications other than having paid for private care and controlled her London-centric pregnancy and delivery without any understanding of how the rest of us manage in the UK.
Our rural experience would expect to differ greatly, but what was particularly unhelpful was her innacurate representation of medical interventions and the role of the medical team which should be the same throughout the UK. She seeemed to advocate that we should see medical staff as being ignorant and lazy and that we should bully our midwife/obstetrician into doing exactly what we wanted. She also gave inaccuracies on the serious aspect eclampsia and can be quoted as suggesting that medical staff on a maternity ward have very little work to do so fill their time making tea and eating chocolate. We wanted to be informed for decision making and how to best develop relationships with the medical team. This lady clearly has personal issues with the current British health system and made us feel very anxious by her biased agenda until we sought further help locally and with other literature. If you are wealthy and believe that the world is against you and that you know better than any other professional then this book is for you.
We suggest you read 'Everything you need to know to have a healthy twin pregnancy' by Gila Leiter and join TAMBA.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most useful book for twin mums, 19 July 2007
A Twin Mum (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Double Trouble: Twins and How to Survive Them (Paperback)
This book is really useful for anyone expecting twins or who has just had them. There is a lot of anecdotal advice about what the author found useful with her twins and you don't feel bullied into doing what she says. There is a very handy list of what to buy - although products have changed a bit since publication it gives you an idea of what to look for e.g. when buying a double buggy. It definitely helped me in the first few months after having my twins as you have some ideas for things to try, know that there are other twin mums in the same boat as you, and most importantly, it makes you see the funny side of your twin-related problems. I would say it is much more useful than more formal pregnancy or childcare books, and all the cartoons ring true!

1.0 out of 5 stars Only for the very wealthy, 8 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Double Trouble: Twins and How to Survive Them (Paperback)
Very entertaining in parts but absolutely awful in terms of practical advice. The advice seems to be that in order to survive twins you are going to need staff. I'm still reeling from trying to work out how we're going to afford an independent midwife, a nanny and a doula, let alone where we're going to put them! It's woefully out of date now too - its nearly 10 years old now and things move on, not only on the pram retail side but on the medical side too. The running theme in the book is to pay for outside help, at the very least a cleaner. Advice that, in the current climate, will probably really only appeal to the rest of the Chelsea/knightsbridge brigade. So its great for entertainment but there has to be a more realistic option out there.

3.0 out of 5 stars good points and bad, 1 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Double Trouble: Twins and How to Survive Them (Paperback)
this book does give some good insight into the likes of double buggies or feeding or intoducing the babies to an older son/daughter but when it comes to the medical side of things and information on help with the babies if you want to return to work, it is obvious the author has a few moe pound to spend than the average person for the likes of hiring a independent miwife and that sort of thing, she actually makes a point of saying on more than one occasion that the independent midwife she hired is on of the best in the country. she also seems to give her opinion on things rather than fact, like saying you will have backache for weeks after an epidural, just because she did doesn't mean it happens to everyone, i didn't with my first baby. its not a bad read compared to other twin books out there that scare the life out of you focusing on all the bad points of twins from the higher chance of miscarriage and how there is so many complication with birth ect. over all my advise would be to give the book a read but don't make it the only one you read.

2.0 out of 5 stars It's all about her!, 11 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Double Trouble: Twins and How to Survive Them (Paperback)
After finding out we were expecting twins I had many questions and bought a few books to try and answer them.

I read this and, yes, it did answer some of my questions. However, most of the book is geared around the author's experiences (she has been very lucky, blessed with money and a body which coped well with twins). She is very opinionated regarding medical practices (although I should imagine that her private midwife had no better training than any NHS ones!) but then, in another chapter, talks about how wonderful homeopathy is and how her homeopath takes time to listen to her and makes notes about everything, well, doh, you are paying them to do that!! I would rather trust myself to medical practices that are backed by scientific fact.

After having a complicated birth with my first child I was hoping to have the birth I wanted this time round but was told by the doctor that this may or may not happen as I was expecting twins. I have since had to come to terms with this and be prepared for whatever will happen. I think that reading this book alone would give me false hope for a 'normal' birth thereby setting myself up for huge dissapointment if things didn't go as planned (this happened last time, things were taken out of my control as my baby got into trouble). I shall still be hoping for a vaginal birth but will not worry if things have to done differently for the sake of my babies. And, by reading other, more factual, books I shall understand why things may have to happen and be prepared for them.

Personally I would rather have facts than a 'fluffy' book which gives false hope.

By all means read this book, some bits of it are quite good, but get another book written by a medical professional (I liked Twins and Multiple Birth by Dr Carol Cooper, this too is a UK based book) for some balance. Oh, and join TAMBA, they have all sorts of advice and downloads specifically for parents of multiples.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed at all as a mother of twins., 6 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Double Trouble: Twins and How to Survive Them (Paperback)
I read this book and found that the author was very misinformed and arrogant over c sections. If you are having a c section, I suggest you do not read what she writes as it could frighten you. She had huge amount of home help and the use of a private midwife, this is quite patronizing to those who do not have such luxuries! This book made me panic about having twins, when in reality I found I could cope well and did not have half the issues the author droned on about. I would not recommend this book to anybody expecting multiples. There are much better and realistic books out there.

Double Trouble: Twins and How to Survive Them
Double Trouble: Twins and How to Survive Them by Emma Mahony (Paperback - 15 Sept. 2003)