on 2 August 2001
As can be seen from other peoples reviews John Gray does have a tendancey to stereo type men & women, but then hey we are all very similiar no matter how different or unique we think we are. This book has helped me to stop 'fixing' my partners life and just be there to listern. I've also learnt how to express myself in ways she will understand better and realised how her love is different to mine - no more scoring points! A very good read for any man who WANTS to understand the general psychology of relationships in order to improve their own relationship. Altougth my partner has not read this publication herself, she has noticed a difference in the way I deal with things and the time I taken to actually listern to her.
on 28 July 2010
This is a very good if you both are willing to read it and use it. It does help to understand differences even if only one person reads it but it works a lot better if both people have read it and then you can use some of the practical information in it.
on 25 November 2013
I have read tons of books about relationships. This book is quite thorough.. but having read too many of them, I have a feeling that I have already read it somewhere. But it's is still a great book for those less familiar witht he topic! for a fresh outlook on relationships and more fundamental principles based on energy laws, as described in ayurveda!) read this one "The woman's secret - a novella with yoga lessons" - I bought it because it's FREE today, and was immersed into the author's storytelling!The Woman's Secret: A Novella With Yoga Lessons or look out for other great promotions of this book.
on 13 November 2001
Brillant, for long relationships. It helps in relationship problems as well as understanding the opposite sex.This book is great because it deals with both male and female sides. NOWAY, is this book just for females.So, listen up this book can improve your relationship! Hope you buy this book because you'll be mad not to!
on 21 May 2014
A really useful and funny insight into why we behave the way we do and what men and women can do to improve their relationships. Some women who have reviewed this book have objected to it's references to maternal instincts in women and hunter/gatherer instincts in men but personally, despite never having children, I completely agree with the book. We may like to think we have evolved to fit into the 21st century mould but we really haven't. Social models have changed but biology hasn't. Not everything in this book will apply to you. Treat it like a supermarket; just take things off the shelf that you need.
on 10 January 2010
In my humble opinion, Men Are From Mars - Women Are From Venus should be mandatory reading for 16 year olds in all schools worldwide. I had two relationships of 15 years+ and each went down the tubes - and to be totally honest - I didn't know why! Having read this book:
- I now know why both ended
- how much we both gave to each other - but did not know how much the other was giving
- If I had read the book much earlier, the second - even the first relationship - would still be intact - deeply loving each other
- But no regrets - we can't change the past but I am certainly looking forward to the future !!!
on 6 September 2005
This is the single most helpful book on relationships between men and women that I have ever read (and I've read plenty!). I wish I'd read it years ago, but I'd been a bit put off by the title. John Gray explains the differences between the male and female psyche so clearly. While women long for respect and love and romance, men need to be admired and trusted and appreciated. We keep giving each other what WE want, not what they want, then wonder why it doesn't work out. I can't thank John Gray enough for this book - it really has transformed my life.
on 6 December 2001
In his book John Gray looks at the way men and women differ. How they are in fact very different animals. How men can be silent and quiet at just the time when women need them to talk. How men offer solutions when a women talks to him while she only wants an ear to listen (and I mean listen not pretend to). He explores many other areas where we differ. He lays out step by step methods to improve, repair and set relationships alight. I would suggest that everyone should read it who is in a relationship, whether they think it is good or otherwise.
He also looks at friends, collegues and other relationships.
The 13 chapters look at different parts of relationships, teach how to allow space, time and understanding to relationships. How to communicate, how to resolve conflict, leading to how to avoid conflict. I read it the first time in 3 days. It is a book to re-read there is always something more to gain from the pages.
He explores techniques of letter writing to resolve arguments. They work!
Throughout the book he uses examples from both his personal life and from his practice.
John Gray's writing is easy to read and keeps the reader's interest.
I really have benefited from this fantastic work.
Thank you John.
on 4 August 2010
Love this book, really funny and well written and it's amazing how much of it rings true! If your looking for an easy read, a bit lighthearted and and something to make you chuckle then it's definitely worth a look.
on 20 February 2002
Experiencing conflict with the opposite sex, is part and parcel of being in a relationship. We often tend to explain it away, by saying that it is typical 'male' or 'female' behaviour, without seeking solutions.
John Gray, Ph.D, has been counselling couples for over 20 years and uses this simple metaphor from his best selling book, to explain the behavioural differences between men and women. The author shares practical tips on how to use more appropriate communication styles, when interacting with one another and explains how we can embrace these differences. By understanding and adopting these techniques, he demonstrates, using real life situations and even personal examples, how we can all move towards more satisfying and loving relationships.
Purchasing an audio tape was a new experience that I wish to continue exploring in the future, as an alternative to reading text. I enjoyed the flexible benefits of listening to the tape when ever and where ever it was convenient.
This tape contains excellent advice and guidance to those who wish to improve their relationships with their partners and for those who just want to become more effective communicators.