5.0 out of 5 stars For anyone in a long relationship
Brillant, for long relationships. It helps in relationship problems as well as understanding the opposite sex.This book is great because it deals with both male and female sides. NOWAY, is this book just for females.So, listen up this book can improve your relationship! Hope you buy this book because you'll be mad not to!
Published on 13 Nov. 2001 by Helly

3.0 out of 5 stars Written by a man.......
Although this book gave some great insights into men and women's behaviour generally which I have found incredibly useful.... I still came out feeling that for relationships to work women have to be quiet and wait until men decide they want to be giving and loving..... threw it on the floor shouting obscenities more times than I care to mention. (then I wonder why...
Published on 23 Sept. 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars For anyone in a long relationship, 13 Nov. 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars I used to think this book would be rubbish............, 23 Feb. 2004
By A Customer
.......but now I believe that it has saved my marriage. After years of conflict, when only finance kept us together, plus the fear of being alone, I and my husband have entered into a new phase of our relationship. We have both read this amazing book, and we finally understand both ourselves and each other. Right from the first page, you feel as if you are reading about YOURSELF. And about your partner. And about the dynamic of your marriage or relationship. It is quite extraordinary. We are not unique, we are not alone. PLEASE read this book - even if you think you have a happy relationship. Maybe your partner feels differently, but dare not say so. So both read it. Do it now. A stitch in time.

5.0 out of 5 stars essential, supremely useful for any couple, 1 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus: A Practical Guide for Improving Communication and Getting What You Want in Your Relationships: How to Get What You Want in Your Relationships (Paperback)
This is one of the most important books I have ever read. It succintly puts together the reasons why men (basically all men, in any culture) are different from women (all women); why this creates problems of communication in a couple; and what to do about it. I found it fascinating reading and illuminating for its insights. This is a summary table I have written based on the book (sorry it does not appear as a table here because no html is allowed by Amazon. I think it summarizes the main thrust of the argument Gray makes and is spelled out in the video by Paul Dewandre (in French) Les hommes viennent de Mars, les femmes de Venus.

Man:

3) wants to talk about a problem,
4) is emotional,
5) needs attention,
6) needs understanding,
7) is like a garden, wants to be mantained every day no matter what.

4.0 out of 5 stars Relationship Bible, 3 Sept. 2000
By A Customer
I agree with the reader from Derby that this book is not to be taken too "seriously". Especially by people wishing to repair a failing marriage for example, BUT Men are from Mars has helped me through many tentative moments in my relationships. The book is laid out with easy to find topics to suit every mood which aides in locating just the right response or whatever to suit the occasion. I lent it to a (male) friend who scoffed the concept and now he has bought his own copy. I carry mine everywhere with me just in case! PS Also you should buy the smaller versions "Understanding the man in your life" and "Understanding the woman in your life"

5.0 out of 5 stars Every Man and Woman should read this book., 21 Oct. 2001
By A Customer
I finally understand why my husband, and men in general, sometimes seem to speak a different language - we do! An excellent book and easy reading. Highly recommended to anyone interested in communicating effectively with the opposite sex.

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be mandatory reading for 16 year olds in all schools worldwide, 10 Jan. 2010
James Walsh "Jim Walsh" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
In my humble opinion, Men Are From Mars - Women Are From Venus should be mandatory reading for 16 year olds in all schools worldwide. I had two relationships of 15 years+ and each went down the tubes - and to be totally honest - I didn't know why! Having read this book:
- I now know why both ended
- how much we both gave to each other - but did not know how much the other was giving
- If I had read the book much earlier, the second - even the first relationship - would still be intact - deeply loving each other
- But no regrets - we can't change the past but I am certainly looking forward to the future !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars It saved me!, 5 Jun. 2007
N. Prota "Ayla" (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
I read this book in a week, not reading more than 2 hours a day! It is just amazing how it got me totally involved!

After a hard period with my boyfriend, and after my mother reccommended it to me for months, I finally decided to give it a chance. What happened is that I understood some of "common sense" things, some of which my boyfriend was trying to explain for long time unsuccessfully, because what made the difference is a clear and simple way of saying them. In a "loving" way! The author holds a PhD in psychology, and has a lot of experience so he is able to communicate his messagge in a successfull way.

Personally, it saved my relationship from sinking forever. Now I understand that I was always loved, even my "rubber band" boyfriend had the need to "pull away" to fulfill his need for independence.

I strongly suggest it to everyone, it can change your life.

The fact that it is so repetitive is because it is supposed to teach, and not just to entratain, so for the message to get through it needs to be repeated. It worked with me. Now I can't wait for my boyfriend to read it as well.

I feel like an entire new life is in front of me, thank to this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars an excellent guide to how the other half thinks, 17 April 2000
By A Customer
If you don't mind the rather "touchy-feely" approach,this is an excellent guide to communication within relationships.Having compared notes with my husband,it really does seem as if Mr. Gray has a good insight to both sides of the gender divide.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth Owning., 8 July 2010
C. Freedland (England) - See all my reviews
I was lent this book and read it a long time ago on an occasion when I found myself without reading material otherwise I still may not have read it to this day. To my surprise, it contained a great deal of genuine insight into how the other half tick and the differences between men and women apart from the obvious. I had been put off by all the hype surrounding it so I wish to encourage all who have a similar frame of mind to overcome your disinclination and read it. It is a gem. I'm not saying to take it as gospel, but I am sure you will find much in it that's informative and helpful. I go so far as to say that if it were mandatory reading there would be fewer misunderstandings between couples and the sexes in general. I bought this copy for 1p plus postage to replace a copy I had given away. Apart from yellowing with age it is unmarked. I have since bought another for 1p as I gave this away also and plan to do the same with that. It is definately a book to own, to keep in your personal library and also to have a spare to give away. At less than the cost of a couple of cups of coffee you may save a marriage and if, like me, you take reasonable care of books, why risk having disgruntled feelings by lending it, if you understand my meaning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gives a whole new insight as how different men & women are., 6 Dec. 2001
By A Customer
In his book John Gray looks at the way men and women differ. How they are in fact very different animals. How men can be silent and quiet at just the time when women need them to talk. How men offer solutions when a women talks to him while she only wants an ear to listen (and I mean listen not pretend to). He explores many other areas where we differ. He lays out step by step methods to improve, repair and set relationships alight. I would suggest that everyone should read it who is in a relationship, whether they think it is good or otherwise.
He also looks at friends, collegues and other relationships.
The 13 chapters look at different parts of relationships, teach how to allow space, time and understanding to relationships. How to communicate, how to resolve conflict, leading to how to avoid conflict. I read it the first time in 3 days. It is a book to re-read there is always something more to gain from the pages.
He explores techniques of letter writing to resolve arguments. They work!
Throughout the book he uses examples from both his personal life and from his practice.
John Gray's writing is easy to read and keeps the reader's interest.
I really have benefited from this fantastic work.
Thank you John.