Format: Paperback|Change

I was given this free sample at an Amazon Baby Event that I attended with no obligation to provide a review.

The illustrations in this board book are absolutely gorgeous and the story is thoroughly beautiful. I hadn't read any of Oliver Jeffers books to my little ones before receiving a copy of this book free from the publisher via Amazon but he will be being added to my children's book authors 'list'.

The story tells how a little boy finds a penguin and thinks he must be lost because he is sad only to discover after trying to take him home that this is not the case. The story is about friendship and helping others and both my son and baby daughter absolutely love it. The board book is thick and so is perfect for little hands and my daughter loves sitting there looking through the pictures on her own and I can easily confirm this is her favourite book at present.

A beautiful, heartwarming story that is truly magical and draws you in to the story even when reading for the 50th time.
on 3 November 2005
Absolutely mesmerising - my neices and nephews love this book. Beautiful illustrations, a simple story and more fantastic discoveries everytime they read it. Wonderful.
Oliver Jeffers simply gets better and better!

This book, like his others is illustrated with his own unique style and makes this book so easy on the eye. The pictures aren't garish, they aren't overly cartoony, they are VERY cute! - They need to be seen to be believed. The picture where the penguin is left behind almost brings a tear to your eye!

The story too is fantastic, a penguin lands on a boys doorstep, it is out of place and the boy wants to take it home. This is essentially a story about friendship, and one your child will certainly want to enjoy again and again - which is good - as you'll want to read it again too!
on 15 May 2008
This book is a cracker, just the opening lines really grab the imagination of any pre-schooler (or parent for that matter)

"Once there was a boy and one day he found a penguin at his door"

My toddler loves the book and we love reading it - which as every parent knows is important when you are asked to read it for the 88th day in a row! It is in my top 5 children's books for at the moment.

There are not too many words on each page, so personally I would say it is great from age 2 and up.
on 14 January 2009
I came across this story having accidentally caught the animation that was made of this book on TV. So, I bought the book for my son.

The pictures are really enjoyable; they're simple, clear and bright without being gaudy. It's a great little story that is just long enough for short attention spans both young and old.

Recommended. And if you get chance to see the film of the book then I'd definitely recommend that too.
on 4 August 2008
A simple storyline together with fresh illustrations make this one of my daughters favourites (she particularly loves the penguin and the stripey umbrella!) and at this stage (she is now 2) she is enjoying being able to follow a story in her own way, ie: the simplest way she can understand and I believe that it's this very simplicity which makes this picture book a big hit.

It's a short tale of friendship, a heartwarming read without being overly soppy.
Recommended!!
on 9 January 2012
Lost and Found pop up edition is simply magical, the story and the illustrations are fantastic, they move round and change to flow beautifully with the story.

One day a boy finds a penguin at his doorstep, he thinks he must be lost, so sets out to find where he comes from. The little boy sets out on his adventure in his row-boat, to the South Pole, to bring the poor little penguin home.

In the end he goes back to find the penguin because he realises he isn't lost, he's just lonely. The whole story is simply darling, everything was so well written and put together, my little one (3) was entranced from start to finish, she kept going back to the book, pulling the tabs, popping up the pages and flipping the tabs up and down.

My daughter loved it so much she is away to bed with it, with a reminder to be very careful with all the little tabs.

Oliver Jeffers has done a wonderful job with Lost and Found, we will go back and read it again and again, a new favourite.

A big thank-you to Harper Collins for the review copy. :)

Put this on your wishlist for your little one today, they will love it.
on 22 May 2011
The first addiction of hers being the Ice Age films [obsessed, dvd's scratched, etc...].

I found this book from searching around Amazon for kids' books for 2 year old children. This was near the top of the heap, with obviously beautiful drawings, and at less than £4 i put it in my basket. I then noticed from Amazon that the film had been made, so i had a butcher's at it - one look at the film clips and you know it's great.

So, I bought both book and film.. result?:
-Daughter will not stop asking for the film, and pointing at the penguin, ducks, etc.
-Even though my wife gets bored 'reading' the story to her [20 months old as i write], my daughter loves it.
-The music and the film in general make me well up for some reason every time i watch it!

Conclusion - it's a no-brainer; buy it (and the film)!
on 20 June 2011
I love this book - it's got beautiful illustrations - both simple and detailed at the same time. The expression in the illustrations is lovely - I don't know if our 15 month old appreciates them but I certainly do when reading this to him. Having it as a board book is great as he can turn the pages and look through it on his own. The story is about how a boy (who is called 'boy' so you can even substitute your childs' name if you really want to!) tries to return to a penguin that turns up on his doorstep to the South Pole but once he leaves him there he realises that the penguin was just lonely - ahhh. Needless to say despite a terrifying moment where they look like they'll miss each other they are successfully reunited and all is well. A must have, a book I know we'll treasure for years to come!
on 20 February 2009
Great book! Oliver Jeffers is a great new kids author and his illustrations are wonderful. The book is about a boy who finds a penguin and travels all the way to the North Pole to get him home, but the penguin isn't as excited to be home as the boy thought!