5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting stuff
A friend and I just listened to these CDs on a car journey to York and I must say that this is one of the best audio books I have ever heard. We were not aware of Michael Morpurgo's being a children's author beforehand and bought it only because of the First World War theme. This is not a purely children's book at all, and I would recommend it to anyone.
Jamie...
Published on 5 July 2004 by Alan Bell

3.0 out of 5 stars That doesn’t mean to say his book can’t be enjoyed by adults - J
24 October 2014
PRIVATE PEACEFUL by Michael Morpurgo

Earlier this year we marked the centenary of the start of The First World War. Centenaries are things we often celebrate but there was little, if anything, to celebrate about WW1. Other than its ending perhaps, which may explain why I decided to wait until now before choosing it as the subject of my book...
Published 2 months ago by N.E.David

‹ Previous | 1 2 343 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTLY FANTASTIC!!!, 12 Nov 2007
Ms. C. J. Jones "Charlie-Jade" (Paris France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Private Peaceful (Paperback)
This is one of the best books i have ever read. At the time i read this i was studying the first world war at school in year 10. I had read other Michael Morpurgo books and loved them so i thought i would try this one.
This book has everything i like suspense,love,facts,and more. i love stories about the wars and tusnamis and things that have really happened in the world and although this is not a true story the author makes you feel like you`re really there experiencing it. To me this is one of thoes books that you start to read for half and hour but you end up reading for hours upon hours!!!.

I would recommend this book for ages 12 and over.

All in all if you are in the slightest way interested in buying this book do because you won`t regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real emotional rollercoaster, 1 Feb 2009
This review is from: Private Peaceful (Paperback)
I don't normally submit reviews on here but I just felt I had to with this book. I finished reading it last night (I stayed up until 1 in the morning because I was so hooked)and I don't think I've ever sobbed as much at a book before. It ranks up there with Testament of Youth for its ability to warm my heart and then instantly break it.
It's a very original book in the way that it's narrated, and it works really well. It gives you a chance to get to know the charcters, and get inside their heads. You particularly warm to Tommo and his elder brother Charlie, which is why the ending is so tragic.
It's obvious that this book is written from the heart, and some of the scenes portrayed are poignantly beautiful; one of the moments from the book that sticks in my head is when the gas enters the trench and Tommo encounters a German.
Overall, I truly loved this book. In fact, I'd go as far as to say it's one of the best books I've ever read. It had me crying in bed for around two hours after finishing it, and I'll never listen to Oranges and Lemons again without feeling a pang in my heart. I think I can definitely say that this, along with War Horse, is by far the best thing that Micheal Morpurgo has ever written. And although it is aimed at younger readers; I think that older readers will relate to it far more.
All I can say is that you need to go and buy this book. It instantly became one of my favourites, and it's definitely a book to read before you die.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Brilliant, 3 Feb 2008
This review is from: Private Peaceful (Paperback)
Although I was 'forced' to read the book, I in fact found the book very enjoyable. Michael Morpurgo is typically related to young readers (Kensuke's Kingdom etc) but this book really shows the true colours of his work.

The book is set in a time of war where two brothers sign up to go to war for honour but have to leave their families and loved ones. The story has a tragic ending which truly made me sad as I was expecting a typical Morpurgo ending where everyone lives happily ever after but in fact this has a rather sinister ending with a harsh use of the nursery ryhme Oranges and Lemons.

A great and satisfying read but a little twisted (thus not recommended for younger readers.)

4.0 out of 5 stars Private Peaceful - good book!, 21 July 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Private Peaceful (Paperback)
Not being a great fan of Michael Morpurgo, I started this book not expecting to enjoy it. How wrong I was. 'Private Peaceful'is both a story of life in pre-war rural England, and an altogether more gory tale of life on the front in WWI. Humorous, in places sad and always detailed and engaging, the plot has Thomas Peaceful (Tommo) looking back over his life during one night spent counting down to dawn. Exactly why he is countiung down you can guess at for ages, but the real reason comes as a shock and provides a massive twist near the end. I would recommend it, though I must say not for cynics or those looking for a light-hearted read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of Private Peaceful- By Michael Morpurgo, 13 Nov 2005
Dan Palmer (England- Bournemouth Grammar School) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Private Peaceful (Paperback)
It is very hard to find very good books for slightly older children, as most are either too taxing to read, or they more suitable for younger children, but this book hits the mark perfectly, and is a great read for any age, but especially 9-14 year olds. It details the life of Thomas Peaceful who was born around the turn of the century, and it follows him all through his life, the good points and the bad ones, and when he joins the army with his big brother Charlie after war breaks out.
Almost two thirds of the book are flashbacks of Tommo's life leading up to the war, and all of this part is very well written, and helps you to believe that the story could actually be true. One unusual feature is that the chapter numbers are replaced with times in the night, like 'A Quarter Past Ten' and 'Five to Five', and at the beginning of each chapter, you hear Tommo's thoughts about the present before the flashback starts. Also, because of the use of flashbacks, the whole story is set over one night in a barn in France.
Once Tommo and Charlie go to war, you can really get a sense of how terrible life in the trenches was. Every day, the soldiers contended with the rats, lice, mud, and small rations, let alone the enemy. All of this is very realistic and full of facts. Michael Morpurgo actually got inspiration for this book from a story he heard of a boy lying about his age to go off to war, and this is what Tommo does because he is not old enough.
The way Morpurgo writes is easy to read, but it is still a great relaxing read for older children, and even adults.
Every aspect of this book is brilliant and definitely worth reading. This is also essential for anyone studying the 1st or 2nd world wars. I rate this 5 stars and I hope you would too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Piece of Immortal Writing from Morpurgo, 19 Dec 2005
E. Roskilly (Hertfordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Private Peaceful (Paperback)
Once again we are astounded by another great piece of immortal writing by non other than the great Michael Morpurgo himself. The story follows young Thomas Peaceful and his mini-adventures, full of passion, hate, love and shame.
As the story progresses we understand the full emotions of the Peaceful family, their loyalty to each other and experience their dreams and nightmares, their pleasures and hardships. It all starts in the countryside when Tommo is a boy, but as the story unfolds, we see him grow in to a young man, at first moving freely in the beautiful countryside with his brother, and then to dodging bullets in the trenches, forever wondering when death will take him away.
I think the story is (like all the author's books) a true masterpiece of English Literature and writing. The description is unbeatable and makes you feel like you're really in the rat-infested trenches in France.
I would recommend this book to older people and teenagers because some of it is quite advanced for the younger generation and they may struggle with some of it.
The only problem with the book is the ending - it makes you think...what happened? I don't think Michael Morpurgo ties up all the loose ends, and makes you guess.

5.0 out of 5 stars Private Peaceful, 21 May 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Private Peaceful (Hardcover)
I thought Private Peaceful was a really moving book and I thought it was great. You really got into the story and saw things from Tommo's point of view. I also thought that the bit at the end about the facts and the truth behind the story was a good thing to put in because it really got you thinking, and you realised that it could have actually happened, and did happen to some people. I made you more aware about what actually happened in the war, and what the victory covered up. Before, you knew that thousands of people died, but you didn't actually realise that some of these men were killed by their own troops, just because they tried to help someone, or they got a mental illness that made them drive themselves to injure themselves just to get out of the peril of the war. It is a really strong book as it is the only book that has ever made me nearly cry - the only reason I didn't was that I was finishing it in a public place! It is written very well, and you always want to read on. It moves at a quick and steady pace. I would highly recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have book, 2 Dec 2007
Ms. A. Mcdonnell "Amy" (England) - See all my reviews
I am 13 years old and think that this book would be a very good read for most teenagers. I loved the way Michael Morpurgo was able to create a picture in my head, from the life Tommo had with his two brothers, Molly and his mum, to the awful scenery of World War One. At some points in the book I wanted to cry or even wince, which shows how much effect this book has on your emotions.... great story.

4.0 out of 5 stars St PETER'S HIGH - ENGLISH CLASS 2005, 9 Dec 2005
This review is from: Private Peaceful (Paperback)
...the book is about love, hate and death these things are sll opposite but in a wonderful way all all work together. Tommo goes from primary school to a forced manhood where he joins with his brother (at war)... Private Peaceful'...is a tragic story full of fun adventures and tearful moments. It takes you through many motions like love, hate, peace, anger, happiness and sadness...

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my best books, 4 July 2009
This review is from: Private Peaceful (Paperback)
When I started to read Private Peaceful the beginning of the book got me hooked in and I didn't want to put the book down. I thought Private Peaceful was a nice story until it got to the war and I started to get upset. Overall I thought Private Peaceful was a good story to read and I also picked up from this story that war isn't right and that we have to stop war.

‹ Previous | 1 2 343 | Next ›

Private Peaceful
Private Peaceful by Michael Morpurgo (Paperback - 2 Aug 2004)