4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful end to a classic series. I love Mog!!
Mog is tired, dead tired, so she wants to sleep forever..... You cannot read this without your eyes misting up...Judith Kerr brings to a poignant end her Mog stories with this classic. I love it, it is not preachy or sugary about death. Just straightforward and honest. I also love how we see life goes on afterwards, new things appear and move on. The illustrations are...
Published on 23 April 2008 by grr

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware the family gets a new cat to cope with the loss of Mog
We have a cat that is getting on in years, and since we love the Mog books, I thought that we would pick this up for our 4 year old to have at the ready for when the dreadful event happens. Good thing I read through it first. The writing is fine. It is a little disconcerting to see the Thomas family dressed much more contemporarily- I guess you have to keep up with the...
Published 15 months ago by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars In memory of, 21 Dec 2012
This review is from: Goodbye Mog (Paperback)
Bought for a friend who lost her special cat called Mog. Cried a lot when she read it but really loved the story.

5.0 out of 5 stars This little book bought back so many terrific memories of her, 1 Aug 2014
This review is from: Goodbye Mog (Paperback)
Had me a cat called Mog, named by my daughter.I was heart broken when I had to have her put down due to incurable illness. This little book bought back so many terrific memories of her.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Difficult Subject of Death.., 1 Mar 2006
This review is from: Goodbye Mog (Hardcover)
Mog dies, but her soul stays on to see what will happen. Although Mog sees and hears everything, no-one can see her. The Thomas family is very upset and all miss her terribly. One day the Thomas family bring a kitten into the house to be their new pet as its mother can’t look after it. The kitten is frightened of everything - noise, newspapers, bags and being picked up. Mog at first thinks the kitten is very stupid. But then Mog realises that the nervous kitten doesn't know how to play and just needs “a little bit of help”. Mog also realises that the kitten can see her and so she plays with the kitten and shows it that the things it is afraid of are alright. Finally, Mog pushes the surprised kitten into Debbie's lap and it finds it actually likes being tickled and stroked. The new family pet, which the Thomases call Rumpus, is settled in at last. But Debbie says she will always remember Mog. After hearing this Mog flies up into the sun.
This book caused quite an upheaval not only at home, but also in the shop when I bought it. My girlfriend was – already in the shop – inconsolable that Mog dies (you can’t let a cartoon cat die; Asterix never ages either!). When I paid for the book the shop assistants were also genuinely very upset that Mog dies. My girlfriend meanwhile refuses to read anymore Mog books, as she dies anyway.
Apart from the act bordering on the sacrilegious to let a popular character die (which is why I deducted one star), this book deals with death in an admirable way that I find helps (or would help). I like the idea that Mog’s ghost stays on to help the new kitten feel at home in the house and to see that everything is alright. That is a comforting message.
So while it is very sad, the book contains a message of hope – despite the fact that Mog dies, which is - I agree with my girlfriend and the shop assistants – unforgivable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Remembrance beautifully handled, 20 Dec 2014
This review is from: Goodbye Mog (Hardcover)
No doubt the graphics are not Kerr's finest hour, but this treatment of death - or rather of its aftermath, grieving - deserves every praise

5.0 out of 5 stars ... my Grandaughter to help explain what happened to a favourite old cat, 25 July 2014
This review is from: Goodbye Mog (Paperback)
Purchased for my Grandaughter to help explain what happened to a favourite old cat. Lovely story and brought tears to my eyes.

4.0 out of 5 stars The difficult subject of death, 1 Mar 2006

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 July 2014
Lovely story

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Goodbye Mog
Goodbye Mog by Judith Kerr (Paperback - 1 Sep 2003)