5.0 out of 5 stars Mog will be missed
Mog is tired, dead tired so she sleeps forever. After Mog dies her spirit stays around to look after the new kitten.
Published on 28 Oct 2002 by GillyLou

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware the family gets a new cat to cope with the loss of Mog
We have a cat that is getting on in years, and since we love the Mog books, I thought that we would pick this up for our 4 year old to have at the ready for when the dreadful event happens. Good thing I read through it first. The writing is fine. It is a little disconcerting to see the Thomas family dressed much more contemporarily- I guess you have to keep up with the...
Published 9 months ago by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Mog will be missed, 28 Oct 2002
This review is from: Goodbye Mog (Hardcover)
This is a wonderfully written story about a very delicate subject. Mogs thoughts on the new kitten are lovely and just what you would expect from such a well loved character. Mogs death is dealt with very well and I know several people who have got this book for their children after the death of a loved one, not just a pet.
It brought a tear to my eye having grown up with Mog. With luck we will be seeing stories about the new kitten.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful end to a classic series. I love Mog!!, 23 April 2008
This review is from: Goodbye Mog (Paperback)
Mog is tired, dead tired, so she wants to sleep forever..... You cannot read this without your eyes misting up...Judith Kerr brings to a poignant end her Mog stories with this classic. I love it, it is not preachy or sugary about death. Just straightforward and honest. I also love how we see life goes on afterwards, new things appear and move on. The illustrations are perfect as ever, especially ghost Mog. A great book for dealing with death, but its also a good story in its own right. Perfect for a Mog collection or just to help deal with the death of pet. Beautiful! Sniffle..!

5.0 out of 5 stars Farewell To A Dear Little Friend, 10 April 2007
C. Knowles (Worcester, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Goodbye Mog (Paperback)
When I first spotted the hardback edition of this book in the shop and registered the title, my heart gave a sickening lurch. When I picked the book up and turned to page one, I almost collapsed in shock and grief. It took several minutes before I was composed enough to take the book to the tills. And I'm a grown man. But one who had loved Mog dearly for 30 years, regarded her as a sweet, funny friend, always there to cheer me up on the blackest of days. How could she be gone? When I got home and was able to read the book in a calmer manner, without worrying that my emotions would overwhelm me in public, I realised that the book is exquisite, so special, a volume to treasure. It was so brave of Judith Kerr to write this, and as a book to introduce the delicate subject of mortality to younger children, I can't see any way it could have been bettered. There's nothing here to scare or disturb little ones, but nor does it gloss over the realities. I just wonder if Kerr realised while writing this that it was just as likely that the kids would end up comforting the mums and dads?! (And like one of the previous reviewers, I've been wondering how Rumpus is getting along - I'd love to know!)

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect ending to a wonderful series, 13 Jan 2009
This review is from: Goodbye Mog (Paperback)
Having grown up with Mog myself, and then enjoyed them again with my children, I bought this book on recommendation from my vicar after our cat died. It was lovely, and pitched a difficult subject very well for small children. Yes, Mog dies. It is very sad, the family is sad but hope remains in the form of Rumpus, the new kitten. Mog is there though, on every page, making sure that memories remain. We all had a good cry upon reading it, and I think that it has helped my children begin to understand loss, and more importantly, recovery from loss. We still read this book often, and I'm not asheamed to say it still brings a tear to my eye every time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book & really useful for telling small people about death, 12 May 2010
GK Ingram (Southampton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goodbye Mog (Paperback)
We have a 3-year old daughter & until last week two cats. A fortnight ago one of them was diagnosed with cancer & we were told she had only weeks to live - so I ordered this book immediately. We read the book every night for a week & it was the first time our daughter had come across the concept of death - of non-existance, which is actually very tricky to explain. Reading this book & asking lots of questions about it meant that when we had to take the cat to the vets to be put down, she had a frame of reference to work with - "like in the Mog book".

It's beautifully written & drawn and deals with a difficult subject in a direct & non-mawkish way. Really, really helpful when trying to explain the subject of death to a small child, though be warned they may be expecting the arrival of a kitten at some point in the future "like in the Mog book."

5.0 out of 5 stars Cried buckets of tears!, 4 July 2007
This review is from: Goodbye Mog (Paperback)
As a diehard fan of the Mog stories having loved them ever since I was a little un, I approached this book with caution. Did I really want to spoil the happy memories I had of Mog the forgetful but loveable cat?

When I read this book, I cried buckets as it was so lovely the way Mog's death was told, and how the family gradually came to terms with her death, and eventually adopting another cat, but still saying Mog would be in their hearts forever.

My verdit? Very sad to see Mog died, but felt it was done in a touching way, that would speak to children and adults alike, in allowing them to explore the issue of death and their feelings around it. I shall be keeping a copy of this in preparation for the eventual loss of our own cats to share with my little girl. How I wish I had this book as a child, as it would have helped me so much when we lost our family pets.

5.0 out of 5 stars goodbye - I can't believe you've gone, 2 Jun 2003
Mrs. Clare Johnson (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goodbye Mog (Hardcover)
Goodbye Mog says it all. I had to read the book myself first before I read it to my 2 year old to check I could do so without crying. We love all the mog books and this one is just as special if not more so! It deals very sensitively with the death of the much loved Mog and contains all the usual special and humorous touches. Mog finally has to leave her family behind but doesn't do so until she is sure they can cope without her. Mog may be gone but she is certainly not forgotten. You may want to keep the tissues handy - for yourself!

5.0 out of 5 stars grieving child, 3 Nov 2009
This review is from: Goodbye Mog (Hardcover)
when we lost our family dog i wanted to find an simple way of explaining to my 4year old daughter about death. This wonderful book told the story in a way that she could understand. Even now my daughter refers back to the story when we talk about our dog.I would recommend this book to anyone who needs to explain about death to a small child.Goodbye Mog

5.0 out of 5 stars Sensitive tale, perfectly pitched for children, 2 Sep 2003
J. Dawson (Edinburgh, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Goodbye Mog (Hardcover)
I work with children and am a longtime fan and collector of the MOg books, and was absolutely heartbroken when I first saw this one. Soon after, my own beloved old moggie died, and I knew this was a must, especially as the children I nanny for (ages 5 and 2) often asked about my cat and I knew I would have to break the news to them. This book helps with that in a sensitive and prefectly judged way, it answered some questions for them and stimulated a healthy discussion - the only problem was that I struggled to keep back my own tears when reading it! However, I can thoroughly recommend it for children or even as a thoughtful gift for anyone who has recently lost a beloved family pet, this book comforted me as well as the children.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book that deals with a sensitive subject, 19 Jun 2011
N gillan "Kosanova" (Greece) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goodbye Mog (Paperback)
I bought this book as my daughter was constantly asking questions about my mother who died when I was a teenager. It is very well written and deals with a difficult subject in a light hearted and very sweet way. I have to admit I had tears in my eyes the first time we read it! My daughter is only 3 but I found it easier to explain death using this book than my own explanation.
The only downside and the reason I have decucted one star is the fact that the new cat is described as "stupid", I don't think it's a nice word to use in a children's book, and hearing a 3 year old say it is not nice either. When reading I replace it with "silly" instead which I think would have been a far more appropriate word to use.
Update 29.1.13
Having recenlt lost our cat, this is the first book my daughter wanted read to her and it seemed to help with the grief.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Goodbye Mog
Goodbye Mog by Judith Kerr (Paperback - 1 Sep 2003)
5.24