5.0 out of 5 stars A Sharp Critique
Some people may be shocked, should be disturbed, by Roy's descriptions of the modern world. These are subjects which everybody should have an opinion on, from the Indian/Pakistani nuclear bomb to the confusion of 'the war against terror'.
The despair of Roy at the direction of the current Indian government is particular moving.
Roy writes eloquently, using...
Published on 26 Jan 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars eye opening
I decided to pick up this book for a couple of reasons. Firstly, because I loved The God of Small Things and I was thirsty for more of Arundhati Roy's writing. Secondly, because I was about to go to India, and I wanted to educate myself on the issues it currently faces.

Published on 11 July 2008 by A. G. Robbins

5.0 out of 5 stars A Sharp Critique, 26 Jan 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The Algebra of Infinite Justice (Paperback)
Roy writes eloquently, using strong imagery and always to the point.
Perhaps for the those who bought 'Stupid White Men', and found it a little 'flabby'.

3.0 out of 5 stars eye opening, 11 July 2008
A. G. Robbins "celestial being" (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Algebra of Infinite Justice (Paperback)

On the first count, my thirst was satisfied only to a degree. This is a collection of essays that were originally written and published at different points in time, so there is a degree of repetition. I found this a bit frustrating.

Arundhati Roy feels so passionately about the issues she writes about, that sometimes the emotional component overshadows the issues themselves. In addition, it was quite heavy going in places, and I sometimes found her thread of thoughts and logic difficult to follow.

On the second count, I learnt a lot about India, and it certainly added perspective to what I saw, heard and experienced during my time there.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Algebra of Infinite Justice by Arundhati Roy, 10 May 2003
ROHINI (Camperdown, NSW Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Algebra of Infinite Justice (Paperback)
A selection of eloquent and poetic essays by Booker Prize winner, Arundhati Roy. Her impassioned polemic questions the status quo and urges us to do the same. This is not simply a series of relevant political commentaries on our times but a work of literary beauty that grabs your spirit and incites you to act. Reading this book caused me to run through a gamut of emotions - fear, outrage, compassion, hope, and gratitude for this inspirational voice. Read this book. Buy copies for your friends and share enlightenment!

5.0 out of 5 stars Uncomfortable reading but thought provoking, 4 May 2013
This review is from: The Algebra of Infinite Justice (Paperback)
This book of essays is both inspiring and very depressing. The essays cover the crushing of small people, over and over again under greed. But is also a testament of their heart and courage. The description of the think big projects such as dams and the consequences of corruption would make a rock weep. Anyone who believes we are struggling for resources in the world today would do well to read this and reflect. We have sufficient resources but most are being strangled in the hands of the greedy and we, the general population are being sucked into thinking it is progress and necessary social development. This is a writer worthy of respect.

5.0 out of 5 stars facts about dams and other sources for concern, 30 Oct 2011
The Algebra of Infinite Justice
Intelligent writing, those in political movements on either side of the fence should be acting on the facts as presented here - I think it should be widely available in colleges.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Powerful Series of Essays, 19 Aug 2010
Jennifer Malsingh (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Algebra of Infinite Justice (Paperback)
This is an interesting, well written collection of essays on various controversial subjects that affect India and the rest of the world. Subjects range from the Narmada dam (and other big dams in India and around the world), the rise of communalism in India, and the effects on the world of 9/11 and the war in Iraq and Afghanistan. Roy writes with great passion and also with a certain lyrical quality which reminds the reader that she is also well known as a writer of the highly acclaimed book "The God of Small Things", a work of fiction.

As the book is made up of a number of different essays written at different times, there is a little bit of repetition here and there. It also should be pointed out that these essays were written some time ago now. Although the issues are still relevant, there have been new devlopments since.

I would reccomend reading the essays individually, rather than reading the book cover to cover in a short period of time. The reason I say this is because Roy's tone throughout the book is quite similar, and reading it all in one go lessens the effect of her arguments as it begins to blur into one a little. Also, the lyrical style does begin to feel a little vague and irritating at times if you read too many essays at once, especially when you notice that she often ends the essays in a very similar way. This would be rather effective in a regular newspaper column, but it doesn't work quite in book form.

ARRAY(0xa845ea08)

The Algebra of Infinite Justice
The Algebra of Infinite Justice by Arundhati Roy (Paperback - 26 Feb 2002)
Used & New from: 0.01