Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 July 2006
When a healthcare professional suggested that a dairy intolerance might be causing my many and varied health problems, I was horrified. I love cheese! I've been veggie for over 20 years! I needed more information.

When I saw this book in a health food shop, my initial reaction was to ignore it - I don't do fad diets. However, on skipping through the pages my interest was caught, so I bought it and I'm so glad I did.

It was read, almost in its entirity, at the first sitting. The factual information on nutrition and how the body metabolises various foods is fascinating - a real eye opener! Who would have thought that eating a high amount of dairy produce could actually be counterproductive in the fight against osteoporosis?

The author obviously knows her stuff and this is in no way another "fad diet", but a highly informative and clearly presented, sensible approach to detecting a dairy intolerance. I believe many people could find that their irritating symptoms, such as rhinitis, headaches, sinusitis, sore throats, fluid retention, lack of energy etc (which they put up with on a daily basis or mask with over-the-counter medication), could become a thing of the past. If only I had known about this years ago!

Read it and do it! It could change your life.
on 10 October 2009
At first glance, I assumed the dairy-free detox diet was another poorly written fad diet plan based in faulty pseudoscience. Imagine my surprise when I find that it is a well written and well informed 'diet' book.

Almost three quarters of the book is dedicated to explaining what lactose is, the various intolerances to dairy and lactose and the relationship between dairy and health. There is also plentiful information in this section on explaining which fats are essential, how to still get calcium in your diet without milk and healthy eating. In the beginning there is also a very helpful assessment program which will determine how affected you are personally by possible lactose intolerance.

The recipes themselves are easy to follow and generally rely on soya products a lot less than other books on the subject.

All in all, the dairy free detox plan is definitely one to look out for if you are trying to eliminate dairy from your diet, but even more importantly, it tells you why it is good to do so.
on 8 September 2011
Arrived swiftly. Happy with product, ex-library copy, in good condition. Didn't want to pay full price. Good book, very informative. Have felt better since reading.
on 6 May 2014
Good information about the possibility of good health by excluding dairy foods. Jane Sen's recipes are easy and nutritious. Beneficial advise for all.