5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting
I have three words for this book; enchanting, quaint and mesmerizing.
I always defined good books, as a book that will not allow you to put it down; this book achieves that and so much more.
Published on 26 Jan 2004 by angel74_uk

1.0 out of 5 stars The Beachcomber
This book started well with a little bit of excitement but fell into a morass of twee clichés which send you skimming over the pages looking for something a bit more original. hots up again towards the end but is ultimately unconvincing.
Published on 9 Jan 2004

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting, 26 Jan 2004
This review is from: The Beachcomber (Paperback)
I have three words for this book; enchanting, quaint and mesmerizing.
Based around two very different people brought together almost by destiny, the story follows Tom and Kathy's struggle to overcome their tortured pasts, each locked in the turmoil of their own mixed emotions and striving to find inner peace.
The author astounds you with her ability to make each emotion heartfelt while keeping a captivating mysterious story line.
Ever thought of totally escaping from it all, fleeing to your own paradise ?? This books charm and imagery will make this a reality.
Concluding this book is a supreme read, pour a hot drink, grab a few pillows and get ready for a long night!.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Beachcomber, 9 Jan 2004
By A Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars The Beachcomber, 5 July 2009
This review is from: The Beachcomber (Paperback)
My mother in law raved about this book and lent it to me promising that i will love it. The reason I gave this book 1 star is because i found it the most unchallenging piece of literature i have ever read. I personally found the writing style extremely poor and too saccharine, however, I can see how it would appeal to some. Josephine Cox's writing smacks of someone who lives in a somewhat Utopian 'tea and crumpet' world in her head and this really reflects in her writing. I was highly amused to find almost 2 pages entirely devoted to decribing in all its tedious detail the main female character cleaning her house!!

I would not recommend this book for anyone who likes their literature thought provoking, but would suggest it for all those housewives who don't have a clue about what is going on in the world outside their own polished front doors.

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointing and a bit silly, 13 Mar 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Beachcomber (Paperback)
I thought this book might be a bit like Rosamunde Pilcher or Maeve Binchy, but it is not. It is extremely predictable. Half the people go mad/are psycho's (two are psycho killers and a few more harmless psycho's around too), which is a bit unbelievable.
The style is infantile and tends to annoy (everyone says "eh" after a sentence, maybe some people talke like that, eh?, but not all the time, eh? Or am I wrong, eh?). Also, everyone in this book talks to themselves especially Kathy. "I must go and see Tom" she muttered. She got up and murmered "I so miss him". It is as if Josephine can only express her character's thoughts if she lets them talk to themselves, but like the "eh"-thing, it becomes annoying.
The storyline is too crap for words. And listen to what the writer says about Kathy: Her tiny waist mesmerised him, as did her large firm round breasts. ...Come on !
I cannot believe this writer is so popular, this book was just rubbish.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cliched writing!, 4 Jun 2009
K. Gillett (Southampton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Beachcomber (Paperback)
I am a would-be novelist and after the first few chapters decided to read this as an example of how not to write! As already mentioned the character's habits of talking to themselves is cumbersome and annoying and the repeated cliches of wagging his/ her finger and being "shocked to the roots" were repeated enough to be annoying. In addition the characters were capable of lurching from joy to rage in the space of the same paragraph. Lovely plot, but the above annoyances and the trite descriptive pieces kept pulling me back to the fact that I was reading a book, so I was never able to "loose" myself. Very disappointing!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Below average, 2 Jun 2009
M. Hancox "An avid reader" (Carmarthenshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Beachcomber (Paperback)
If you like Mills and Boon stuff, you might like this. The plot is improbable with too many coincidences and both 'baduns' come to a sticky end! How convenient is that. I only read it to see if it got better towards the end. (It didn't.) Who cares about incidental characters (eg ticket collectors on the bus)? Sorry but I'll avoid Cox novels in future.

5.0 out of 5 stars I didn't read much until I read the Beachcomber, 3 Mar 2013
Maggie G (Newton Abbot, Devon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Beachcomber (Kindle Edition)
I read this on holiday. A lovely book, I will read it time and time again.
It inspired me to buy more of Josephine's novels and they never fail to keep me wanting more!

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely Romance, 11 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Beachcomber (Paperback)
Easy reading and hard to put down. Characters are totally believable and the story is written clearly and with a comfortqble pace. I have bouught a few of this authors books to take on hol but I started reading this one and have to finish it now!

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it, 29 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Beachcomber (Kindle Edition)
Very good read and exciting. didnt want to put the book down. Josephine Cox is such a very good Auther.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Beachcomber, 7 Oct 2010
Mrs. Norah Hughes (wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Beachcomber (Paperback)
Another great book by Josephine Cox ,great writing ..i find it difficult to put the book down .highly recomend this book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Beachcomber
The Beachcomber by Josephine Cox (Paperback - 14 Oct 2003)
Used & New from: £0.01