Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

on 22 August 2006
I have ploughed my way through the whole series of books and this one just reinforces my view that inside this ten (so far)book series is a really great five book story. I like the characters and the story lines but Goodkind takes such a long time to move the story along. I do find myself skimming over yet another long winded passage.
One thing I did dislike in this book are the lenghty sections detailing the torure and abuse of prisoners, both men and women. Yes, I know that we have to understand the brutality of the enemy but do we really need so much detail, and do we need to be told so often? The nasty and explicit descriptions of rape and sexual abuse really did seem to be unnecessary.
I will read the next book but to be honest, I do hope that it's the final chapter and that Richard and Kahlan at last ride off into the sunset. Or maybe Richard and Nikki?
on 13 February 2007
Like most other reviewers I am a huge fan of The Sword of Truth series, but Phantom has surrendered action, interaction and emotion for endless (and I mean endless)pages of agonising and philosophising by the major characters, especially Richard. With a series of books that I cannot usually put down and then berate myself for reading too quickly, I found that I was constantly closing the book, to give myself a breather from moral issues that I felt were trying to have some parallel with contemporary moral issues. Mr Goodkind - I read fantasy to escape the moralising of the real world, not to have it thrust down my throat at what seemed like every page. On a purely 'picky' level, there were many typographical and grammatical errors that I found irritating - not least the Americanising of English spellings. As a courtesy to your English readers, would it not be possible to use the venacular when it is being published in this country?

I await the final novel with bated breath - I have lived so long with these characters that it will be hard to say goodbye to them, this is why I excuse the deficiencies of Phantom. Please, please, make it a good one!
on 5 March 2008
Once upon a time there was a superb author of a great series. Phantom is actually two books. One an imaginative story, building on previous episodes, but crushed. The other, a didactic, patronising drivel of a lecture. Just when the story begins to flow the author stops. . . so the main character can yet again patiently explain to anyone nearby in patronising and repetive ways for page after page how social equality is bad and an everybody should focus on bettering themselves (capitalism good, communism bad ugh). The tone talks down to the reader "well you see little Johny, its like this. . . ". ignore or skip the lectures and flashes of why the earlier books were so popular become apparent
on 20 June 2007
OK so we're on to book 10, and I've tried, I've really tried, to keep up. I love series - I'm a sucker for them in fact. A lot of authors rely on the fact that there are hordes of readers who'll carry on buying a series indefinitely. If you can manage to write one good book (and Terry's first was a corker) you can coast on its reputation for quite a while. But this series ran out of steam somewhere in the middle of book 5. Time to put it to rest and move on Terry. You're a good writer, but you need to branch out a bit...
on 26 July 2006
At the start of this book Goodkind still devotes whole chapters to some of his characters lecturing about his anti-communist beliefs. He also introduces a brand new villain which suggests that he may not have a clear idea of where he is going with this. However, it is worth plowing through the first part as the story starts to pick up.

The new villain is used to explain some things that happened in earlier books and, although there is no clear conclusion at the end of this book, there is clearly a feeling that we are reaching the finale.

To clarify my rating, I would buy the next book in this series, but only after I am sure that the next book is the last in the series
on 9 August 2006
This is a very welcome return to form for terry goodkind. Phantom turns out to be a very good read with some excellent storytelling and potentially gripping moments, which are very remeniscent of his first four novels. Goodkind still has to address some minor issues in my opinion. His tendency to go off on very windy explanations tends to disrupt the flow of the book. Just as something exciting is about to happen, up pops richard with his explanation on how he understands " the jargon of emblams" (people who have read it will understand.)

This is really the only deriding factor in this book. The political intrigue, the re-introduction of favourite characters, and a mouth watering taste of how richard will finally be able to gain full command of his gift, leaves the reader very pleased and yearning for more.

A very splendid read, which sets the tone for the last book excellently. Reccommended highly.
on 25 September 2006
It seems that Phantom, it's predecessor and it's follow up could really all be one book. I don't object to padding, it's still well written (although what exactly does Mr Goodkind have against women?) but I do mind that there's no story, we're no further on and what's annoying is the end seemed so tantilisingly in sight the entire time. By the time I'd reached the 400 page mark I'd come to accept that it wasn't going to be resolved. If you're going to continue a series on and on surely each book should be a self-contained tale with the underlying story revolving beneath that you plan to resolve at the end.

None of this will stop me buying the next one to find out what happens, I only hope it's more satisfactory.

For new readers, you need to go back to book 1 and hope that the next book is published by the time you get this far. For old fans, if you can wait, it might be more edifying to read Phantom alongside the next in the series.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 September 2006
The first half of this book has many of the problems that have plagued the later Sword of Truth novels. The action moves slowly, the dialogue is stilted and there are far too many political rants about the philosophy of The Order. (Religious zealotry is bad. We get it.)

I was starting to dispair when everything changed - the plot got a boot up the backside and things started happening. It was enough to remind me why I loved the Sword of Truth books in the first place.

So, 5 stars for the second half, and a slap on the wrist for the first. Lets hope Terry Goodkind can get off his soapbox long enough to make the final book something special - it deserves to be.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Well, firstly, I must say that it has been amusing to see the number of reviews written about this book before it was even released....

Anyway, so I got my hands on a copy this morning, and have spent the entire day reading it. I have to applaud Terry Goodkind on a thoroughly gripping new novel involving my favourite fantasy world.

His last few books have caused a lot of divide amongst his fans, some have been disappointed. I am, however, convinced that Phantom will see them all back hungering for more.

I assume that if you are considering purchasing this book, then you already have a good background knowledge (having read the previous 9) and would hate for me to spoil your enjoyment by telling you what happens. Just feel confident that you are really going to have a good read with this one!

I wonder where Terry will lead us into next?

Enjoy it, but maybe try not to race your way through it like I have, because now I wish I still had a few days worth of reading to enjoy.
on 27 July 2006
I've just finished reading the book and felt that this was in the top three of the series.

Without adding too many spoilers, the plot moves forward towards the anticipated final battle referred to in early books, but does so through some quite unanticipated turns. Seemingly innocent events from much earlier in the series are woven into the plot and developed further, whilst completely new characters are added and developed. The book ends on a knife edge, with many plot lines finely balanced and you really dont know where it's going to go. Iit didnt get 5 stars, as there is some rambling lectures from Richard which dont really detract from the story but just stall the pace a little too much for my liking.

The only spoiler I'm going to add is that on the final page (after the end of the story) it states that the next book is the concluding one of the series.

Bring it on!