4.0 out of 5 stars Goodkind returns to form.
Published on 9 Aug 2006 by Mr. C. E. Morton

1.0 out of 5 stars What Happened?
In the preceding book "Chainfire", Richard Rahl is the only person who remembers Kahlan existed. He spent the whole book trying to find proof to convince everyone that he wasn't insane and that something was dreadfully wrong.

Published on 19 Jun 2008 by Jacquie F

1.0 out of 5 stars What Happened?, 19 Jun 2008

Phantom carries on this story. Richard, after having proved that Kahlan is not a figment of his imagination, that she is his wife and also the Mother Confessor, to certain of his friends and family, now has to figure out a way of getting her back. At the same time he has to find a way of dealing with the evil Sisters of the Dark, stopping The Imperial Order from sweeping through the Midlands and destroying civilization, learning how to finally use his magical powers as the only War Wizard to have been born in living memory, and finding a way to replace everyone's lost memories.

I had been waiting for this book after having read all of the previous 9 plus the prequel novella and enjoying them, some more than others. When I began to read I was so disappointed, where was the humour, the fast paced adventure, the wonderful characters that I remembered. The book rambled on with long passages of political invective, magical formulas and spell forms, even algebra was mentioned at one point.

Characters came and went and I found myself wondering why on earth the author had bothered to bring them back if they were not going to be allowed, at the very least, to show their personalities. I can only imagine that the memories lost to the people of the Midlands and D'Hara had also been lost to Mr Goodkind himself.

Then at the end of the book the story still isn't finished. Now we have to look forward to another whole book to finish off the things that quite possibly could have been brought to a satisfactory conclusion in this one.

I was not impressed at all.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much padding, 22 Aug 2006
C. M. Hurst "Fantasy Fan" (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Phantom (Sword of Truth 10) (Hardcover)
I have ploughed my way through the whole series of books and this one just reinforces my view that inside this ten (so far)book series is a really great five book story. I like the characters and the story lines but Goodkind takes such a long time to move the story along. I do find myself skimming over yet another long winded passage.
One thing I did dislike in this book are the lenghty sections detailing the torure and abuse of prisoners, both men and women. Yes, I know that we have to understand the brutality of the enemy but do we really need so much detail, and do we need to be told so often? The nasty and explicit descriptions of rape and sexual abuse really did seem to be unnecessary.
I will read the next book but to be honest, I do hope that it's the final chapter and that Richard and Kahlan at last ride off into the sunset. Or maybe Richard and Nikki?

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much philosophical debate - not enough action, 13 Feb 2007
Like most other reviewers I am a huge fan of The Sword of Truth series, but Phantom has surrendered action, interaction and emotion for endless (and I mean endless)pages of agonising and philosophising by the major characters, especially Richard. With a series of books that I cannot usually put down and then berate myself for reading too quickly, I found that I was constantly closing the book, to give myself a breather from moral issues that I felt were trying to have some parallel with contemporary moral issues. Mr Goodkind - I read fantasy to escape the moralising of the real world, not to have it thrust down my throat at what seemed like every page. On a purely 'picky' level, there were many typographical and grammatical errors that I found irritating - not least the Americanising of English spellings. As a courtesy to your English readers, would it not be possible to use the venacular when it is being published in this country?

I await the final novel with bated breath - I have lived so long with these characters that it will be hard to say goodbye to them, this is why I excuse the deficiencies of Phantom. Please, please, make it a good one!

1.0 out of 5 stars Crushed beneath didactic drivel, 5 Mar 2008
Once upon a time there was a superb author of a great series. Phantom is actually two books. One an imaginative story, building on previous episodes, but crushed. The other, a didactic, patronising drivel of a lecture. Just when the story begins to flow the author stops. . . so the main character can yet again patiently explain to anyone nearby in patronising and repetive ways for page after page how social equality is bad and an everybody should focus on bettering themselves (capitalism good, communism bad ugh). The tone talks down to the reader "well you see little Johny, its like this. . . ". ignore or skip the lectures and flashes of why the earlier books were so popular become apparent

2.0 out of 5 stars Terry! Please! ENOUGH!!, 20 Jun 2007
OK so we're on to book 10, and I've tried, I've really tried, to keep up. I love series - I'm a sucker for them in fact. A lot of authors rely on the fact that there are hordes of readers who'll carry on buying a series indefinitely. If you can manage to write one good book (and Terry's first was a corker) you can coast on its reputation for quite a while. But this series ran out of steam somewhere in the middle of book 5. Time to put it to rest and move on Terry. You're a good writer, but you need to branch out a bit...

3.0 out of 5 stars Getting Better, 26 July 2006
At the start of this book Goodkind still devotes whole chapters to some of his characters lecturing about his anti-communist beliefs. He also introduces a brand new villain which suggests that he may not have a clear idea of where he is going with this. However, it is worth plowing through the first part as the story starts to pick up.

The new villain is used to explain some things that happened in earlier books and, although there is no clear conclusion at the end of this book, there is clearly a feeling that we are reaching the finale.

To clarify my rating, I would buy the next book in this series, but only after I am sure that the next book is the last in the series

4.0 out of 5 stars Goodkind returns to form., 9 Aug 2006
Mr. C. E. Morton "chrismorton2002" (Fleetwood, Lancashire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Phantom (Sword of Truth 10) (Hardcover)
This is a very welcome return to form for terry goodkind. Phantom turns out to be a very good read with some excellent storytelling and potentially gripping moments, which are very remeniscent of his first four novels. Goodkind still has to address some minor issues in my opinion. His tendency to go off on very windy explanations tends to disrupt the flow of the book. Just as something exciting is about to happen, up pops richard with his explanation on how he understands " the jargon of emblams" (people who have read it will understand.)

This is really the only deriding factor in this book. The political intrigue, the re-introduction of favourite characters, and a mouth watering taste of how richard will finally be able to gain full command of his gift, leaves the reader very pleased and yearning for more.

A very splendid read, which sets the tone for the last book excellently. Reccommended highly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Frustratingly slow, 25 Sep 2006
This review is from: Phantom (Sword of Truth 10) (Hardcover)
It seems that Phantom, it's predecessor and it's follow up could really all be one book. I don't object to padding, it's still well written (although what exactly does Mr Goodkind have against women?) but I do mind that there's no story, we're no further on and what's annoying is the end seemed so tantilisingly in sight the entire time. By the time I'd reached the 400 page mark I'd come to accept that it wasn't going to be resolved. If you're going to continue a series on and on surely each book should be a self-contained tale with the underlying story revolving beneath that you plan to resolve at the end.

None of this will stop me buying the next one to find out what happens, I only hope it's more satisfactory.

For new readers, you need to go back to book 1 and hope that the next book is published by the time you get this far. For old fans, if you can wait, it might be more edifying to read Phantom alongside the next in the series.

3.0 out of 5 stars A book of two halves, 16 Sep 2006
Sarah Kay (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Phantom (Sword of Truth 10) (Hardcover)
The first half of this book has many of the problems that have plagued the later Sword of Truth novels. The action moves slowly, the dialogue is stilted and there are far too many political rants about the philosophy of The Order. (Religious zealotry is bad. We get it.)

I was starting to dispair when everything changed - the plot got a boot up the backside and things started happening. It was enough to remind me why I loved the Sword of Truth books in the first place.

So, 5 stars for the second half, and a slap on the wrist for the first. Lets hope Terry Goodkind can get off his soapbox long enough to make the final book something special - it deserves to be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back On Top Form, 17 July 2006
H. Pierce (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Phantom (Sword of Truth 10) (Hardcover)
Well, firstly, I must say that it has been amusing to see the number of reviews written about this book before it was even released....

Anyway, so I got my hands on a copy this morning, and have spent the entire day reading it. I have to applaud Terry Goodkind on a thoroughly gripping new novel involving my favourite fantasy world.

His last few books have caused a lot of divide amongst his fans, some have been disappointed. I am, however, convinced that Phantom will see them all back hungering for more.

I assume that if you are considering purchasing this book, then you already have a good background knowledge (having read the previous 9) and would hate for me to spoil your enjoyment by telling you what happens. Just feel confident that you are really going to have a good read with this one!

I wonder where Terry will lead us into next?

Enjoy it, but maybe try not to race your way through it like I have, because now I wish I still had a few days worth of reading to enjoy.

Phantom (Sword of Truth 10)
Phantom (Sword of Truth 10) by Terry Goodkind (Hardcover - 17 July 2006)
Used & New from: £0.01