5.0 out of 5 stars Light on the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali
This is by far the best book on the Yoga Sutras that I have seen, I have bought a few copies previously but they have been so difficult to read and get my head into but BKS Iyengar makes this book really inspiring and interesting, I would recommend this version of the Sutras to anyone who is thinking of buying a copy of them.
Published 17 months ago by Margaret Butler

3.0 out of 5 stars Much interpolation
Published on 27 May 2010 by The holo-man

3.0 out of 5 stars Much interpolation, 27 May 2010
This review is from: Light on the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali (Paperback)
As the first reviewer states the yoga sutras are extremely terse, giving the appearance of notes taken by a student attending a lecture. Consequently most of them can be and are, perfectly legitimately, interpreted differently by different people. Sometimes translations can be so variant that it is difficult to believe that they are translating the same text. Check two or three online translations to see what I mean.

Naturally, each translator will bring their own frame of reference to their translation given the amount of scope they have. However, I'm afraid Mr Iyengar has not just done this but actually added his own material to the translation. The first sutra is a good example. The Sanskrit is clear and means "Now follows instruction in yoga." Mr Iyengar translates this as " With prayers for divine blessings, now begins an exposition of the sacred art of yoga." Other sutras, too, are 50% Iyengar and 50% Patanjali, as well as many sutras with a lesser degree of interpolation.

This may be fine for Mr Iyengar's followers but those seeking to know exactly what Patanjali was saying should exercise caution. This book's saving grace is that it does provide a word by word breakdown of the Sanskrit, so you can spot the interpolations if you are inclined to go through the breakdown.

5.0 out of 5 stars Light on the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, 24 Mar 2013

2.0 out of 5 stars Tough Going, 22 Mar 2009
Skippy (Wokingham, Berkshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Light on the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali (Paperback)
Ok, I'm a mad fan of yoga and bought this book as I have another book written by the same author which is great, and I wanted to learn more and deepen my knowledge about the sutras. Now, I'm by no means stupid, but this book is so complicated I can't make any headway with it at all. I think it would be useful if I had a teacher to go through the sutras and explain in a clear way what they mean, and how to think about their application. Maybe I will try to pick this book up again in the future but for now I've given up!

5.0 out of 5 stars An outstanding guide to the Yoga Sutras, 10 Feb 2014
This review is from: Light on the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali (Paperback)
Among the many translations and commentaries on the Yoga Sutras, this one stands out for its depth of insight and inspirational text. It is true that the translations are more adaptations of Patanjali's original but they are the comments from the greatest yoga teacher of modern times. I have read and thought about his commentaries for many years and every time I go back to this book there is something new to find. One translation of a sutra stands out for me as I practice the asanas: "Perfection in an asana is achieved when the effort to perform it becomes effortless and the infinite being within is reached." (YS 2:47). That to me sums up yoga, an endlessly inspirational and concise statement about Yoga. It is a fitting example of the excellence of this commentary.

2.0 out of 5 stars Light on the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, 18 Feb 2011
R. Field - See all my reviews
This review is from: Light on the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali (Paperback)
Buying the book, and getting it delivered was very easy and straightforward. Excellent rating.

The book itself is written in very small type. So small for me, even with glasses, that I have found this incredibly difficult to cope with, and may well have to give up trying to read it altogether. Very poor rating.

Light on the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali
Light on the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali by B. K. S. Iyengar (Paperback - 21 Oct 2002)
10.49