5.0 out of 5 stars Val McDermid at her best!
Published on 14 Oct. 2001 by sophia@mancity.net

2.0 out of 5 stars So different from her other novels - disappointing.
Published on 28 Jan. 2008 by Robert Martin

5.0 out of 5 stars Val McDermid at her best!, 14 Oct. 2001
This review is from: Kick Back (Mass Market Paperback)
This book has everything: It's funny, exciting, well written and I just love the heroine Kate Brannigan. I can't think of a better female role model! In this book Brannigan keeps quite busy. She takes on an absurdly mysterious case, where whole conservatories have gone missing. At the same time she has to help her best friend Alexis and her girlfriend, who want to build a new house. They buy a piece of land, only to realise that the same plot has been sold to someone else as well.
McDermid's style is absolutely brilliant and this is one of her best books, almost as good as Blue Genes. Brannigan is an even more convincing, interesting and incredibly funny person than Kinsey Milhone or any other female detective. This book is impossible to stop reading. I loved it so much I have actually reread it several times, something I seldom do with crime novels. Read it!

2.0 out of 5 stars So different from her other novels - disappointing., 28 Jan. 2008
Robert Martin (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kick Back (Paperback)
Having read lots of Val McDermid's books and loved every one, I was very disappointed with "Kick Back". I even considered not finishing the book - I just didn't care if the mystery was solved nor was I interested in Kate Brannigan. All of the other McDermid books I have read have been compulsive page turners - and often I would look forward to every opportunity to get reading. Not so with Kick Back which seemed pedestrian in comparison. I will still buy and read McDermid, but will stear clear of Kate Brannigan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Val McDermid on Top Form, 3 Nov. 2013
Kay (Cheshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kick Back (Kindle Edition)
Kick Back Kate Brannigan is on the trail again, doing what she does best, and, as usual under pressure. What seems like a little favour for a friend soon turns out to be a major financial fraud. Long before she gets anywhere near the truth she finds herself in danger, an attempt on her life. This is one of the fastest-paced novels I've read in a long time. Val is on top form as she has Kate racing round the North West looking for clues and stirring up muddy waters as she does. I loved this, a cracking good crime story.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, less gruesome than usual, 5 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Kick Back (Kindle Edition)
A complicated private eye plot. Quite dated with some of its references but very enjoyable nonetheless. I look forward to reading more Kate Brabnigan

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent read, 30 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Kick Back (Kindle Edition)
Another excellent story by Val. A book which drew me in quickly, and kept me enthral led. A brilliant read, by a brilliant author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great page turner, 20 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Kick Back (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book it has everything to keep you wanting to turn the next page and stay up late. I like the subtle humour and the feasibility of the plot.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit dated but a good story, 26 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Kick Back (Kindle Edition)
How quickly all the IT becomes out of date but a good story. Great characters will definitely read more of her stuff

5.0 out of 5 stars As described, 3 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Kick Back (Kindle Edition)
Item was delivered in the expected timescales as indicated at point of sale and packaged appropriately for size of item, would use seller again. Product was gift, bought as new, arrived in perfect condition. Good value

5.0 out of 5 stars I want more!, 26 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Kick Back (Kindle Edition)
Love the Brannigan series of books more than any other of Val McDermid's work.

Please give us some more, as I have read them all so many times now I know the stories off by heart!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the best, 6 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Kick Back (Paperback)
I have read many Val McDermid books but unfortunately this one is not up to the standard of the others. In fact I found the subject matter completely boring and if I did not have a policy of always reading a book to the end I would have almost certainly given up on this one.

Kick Back
Kick Back by Val McDermid (Paperback - 7 Oct. 2002)