5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!
Published on 23 Oct. 2002

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Published on 30 Jun. 2008 by Roz

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 23 Oct. 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Dead Beat (Paperback)
This is one in Val McDermid's "Kate Brannigan" series and is up to her usual high standard. Kate is a very believable PI with personal and domestic problems, just like everyone else with a life! There are no pretentions here, just an upbeat, pacy, investigation into stange circumstances surrounding the death of a fading rock star's ex-girlfriend. Plenty of booze, takeaways and witty one-liners. Great stuff!

4.0 out of 5 stars An unputdownable read., 25 Feb. 2001
This review is from: Dead Beat (Mass Market Paperback)
How Kate Brannigan singlehandedlly takes on the drug barons of Manchester, babysits her boyfriend's son, risking her life in the process, and all in the name of love, leaves you gasping for breath! Utterly believable and down-to-earth too.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 30 Jun. 2008
This review is from: Dead Beat (Paperback)
I too came to this having read Val McDermid's Tony Hill novels which I love. At times this reminded me of an Enid Blyton famous five crime novel! It was written in 1992 and VD has clearly developed greatly as a writer since then. It was amusing to read a crime story set in the late 80s, early 90s with it's pain staking description of the new fangled 'electronic mail' which journalists are using to send copy from one computer to another and the absence of mobile phones, how things have changed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Introducing Kate Brannigan ...., 15 April 2015
Jane Baker "jan-bookcase" (Somerset) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Dead Beat (Paperback)
Enjoyable but rather tame. Unfortunately for me I've been reading the Kate Brannigan books after the Tony Hill series and whilst it's very unfair to compare two such different styles there is a tendency to expect something grittier and the Brannigan series doesn't deliver on this. It's not a cosy read and McDermid's prose is fine-tuned; she controls the crafting and development of the plot with consummate skill. Worthy but not 5* for me but I'm still a big follower of the McDermid brand.

2.0 out of 5 stars holiday read., 13 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Dead Beat (Kindle Edition)
I gave up after a few hours just lost interest completely, may have improved later but life is too short.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dead beat, 27 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Dead Beat (Kindle Edition)
I have read the Tony Hills series which I enjoyed, so thought I would try more of vals books. I like the style of writing and how she brings characters alive. The books are easy to read. On reflection I would have probably read this series before the Tony hill books as I feel I won't get as much from Kate, but I will continue with the next in the series as perhaps should not judge on first one. Looking forward to it...

5.0 out of 5 stars Another sucess, 7 May 2014
This review is from: Dead Beat (Kindle Edition)
Val McDermid can do no wrong. Got this on my kindle and a good bed time read. She can't write fast enough for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars You can't beat a bit of Val McD., 14 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Dead Beat (Paperback)
I love Val McD's work and this is a good read. Fast paced and punchy with a good plot and strong characters.

The only reason I've not given it a 5 star is because I've liked some of her other works better i.e. the Tony Cross novels and various others. However I have to say that she is one of my favourite authors for writing gripping books.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 1 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Dead Beat (Kindle Edition)
I loved the tony hill/carol jordan series and have read them all, however, i was disappointed with this book as it simply was not to my taste. I only read about 35% and gave up. I will not read any more of this series but will try the authors other books as i think she is a brilliant writer.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit too light for my taste., 14 Aug. 2014
H. Morris (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Beat (Kindle Edition)
Can`t quite get the Kate Brannigan series - bit too repetitive and a bit too light. I didn`t find it believable and while I finished it -and it is the second KB one I have read - I will probably stick to the other VMc books in future.

Dead Beat
Dead Beat by Val McDermid (Paperback - 7 Oct. 2002)