4.0 out of 5 stars Great story, irritating characters
Published on 12 Nov 2009 by Rachel

1.0 out of 5 stars Sentimentality at it's worst
No stars - I only gave it one because I had to put something into the field.
Published on 23 Feb 2005 by Em

4.0 out of 5 stars Great story, irritating characters, 12 Nov 2009
Rachel (Edinburgh, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Theory of Relativity (Paperback)
I struggled to get into this but the story got better as the novel progressed. I did find a lot of the characters - particularly Lorraine - quite irritating which almost spoiled the story for me. This book definitely has its faults but the storyline is enjoyable if you put up with the stubborn and selfish behaviour of some of the characters, who are, after all, only human. I look forward to reading more of Jacquelyn Mitchard's novels in the future.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sentimentality at it's worst, 23 Feb 2005
Em (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Theory of Relativity (Paperback)
No stars - I only gave it one because I had to put something into the field.
I read this for my book group. Correction, I started it and had to skip read it. I absolutely hated this book - it's mawkishly sentimental, full of stereotyping and ultimately poorly written. There was no evidence of the 'humour' referred to in the press reviews. Bizarrely, this is referred to as the author at her best - her previous works are non-fiction, a completely different genre, the two cannot be compared.
The story is wholly simplistic despite the presence of lengthy blocks of american child custody law and I just couldn't believe in the characters, plot development or rough characterisation.
The ending - I won't give it away in case you really have to read it - but it was too neat and the very last bit is too arch for its own good.
If you really want to read it, get it from your library but save your money and don't buy it.
Avoid.

ARRAY(0x9d26aa14)

A Theory of Relativity
A Theory of Relativity by Jacquelyn Mitchard (Paperback - 21 April 2010)
9.21