4.0 out of 5 stars Not encyclopaedic perhaps, but excellent all the same
Published on 18 Oct. 2004 by vernan2000

1.0 out of 5 stars What a disappointment.
This could have been such a GREAT book.
Sadly, in my opinion, besmirching good photos of serious monuments is pollution. Who wants to see photos of (in my opinion) ugly hippies pretending to hold up leaning stones?
How many tons of stones and consummate artistry are desecrated by such (in my opinion) vandalism?
Shame on the publishers, in my opinion. Sadly,...
Published on 5 Feb. 2006 by E. G. Fishlock-Lomax

4.0 out of 5 stars Not encyclopaedic perhaps, but excellent all the same, 18 Oct. 2004
This review is from: The Megalithic European: The 21st Century Traveller in Prehistoric Europe (Hardcover)
Julian Cope continues to work very hard at promoting the temples of our ancestors. Looking at the places he highlights makes you reel with the realisation that so many structures can still exist after the turbulence of the last couple of millennia. His first book was wide in scope - this seems less so, but covering a whole continent was never going to be easy. Particularly impressive is that it was completed in a short time and has a lot of useful information gained from personal experience. No mean feat.
He is thoughtful, realistic, sometimes scholarly, which makes the academic content of the first part of the book seem at odds with the opulent but somewhat off-putting packaging. The gazetteer will be much used, and complements works by Burl in particular very nicely.
Nonetheless, good on Julian for producing another book on a subject that's not taken seriously enough. It's sure to appeal to many people, and provoke enthusiasm and thought in them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yet another outstanding piece of work!, 25 Mar. 2007
Julian's journey of discovery continues and is the sequel a flop? No it's flipping brilliant as well! Is there no limit to the talents of this man? See my review of `The Modern Antiquarian'. I have to say that I really enjoy the way he presents his work. I see it as leagues ahead when it comes to armchair history, were not all academic genius's you know? This European gazetteer set me a thinking - who knows maybe one day even a third book on Turkey and the surrounding regions - monument and site rich and barely scraped over, areas just gagging for such a champion, Julian are you listening? Well we can all live in hope I suppose.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cope delivers... again!, 19 Oct. 2004
By A Customer
Although I haven't read the entire book just yet, it is fair to say that first impressions are good, as the Arch Drude of Wessex once again takes us on a prehistoric journey to remember. Nothing can beat the feeling of visiting these sites, but as with the Modern Antiquarian, Cope provides you with great analysis of each site and an indepth essay section. Directions are also clear and will obviously be of great help during the many holidays that lie ahead. Great colour pictures of the interior and exterior of many sites are included and it is layed ouy in a very easy to follow way.
So if you are interested in seeing what Europe has to offer the megalithic traveller then I cannot think of a more suitable guidebook, or starting point. Buy it...

5.0 out of 5 stars Mega Megalithic, 22 Oct. 2009
Julian Cope is so cool he must be a Jedi. His love of our Ancient History shines through in his books- this one and the fantastic 'Modern Antiquarian'. Buy it to drool over the great pictures. These books are a wonderful way to explore our Stone Circles and other 'groovy' ancient sites. I have had both these books since they were first published and have spent many a happy hour dipping into them time and again.If you want to read about Ancient History and don't want to read dry academic tomes, read these!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant if Idiosyncratic Tour of Europe's Megaliths, 29 April 2009
D. S. Parsons (New Zealand) - See all my reviews
The excellent colour photographs and site access notes have helped me to select many places to visit later this year. Its a wonderful resource book although somewhat quaint in its style - like an illustrated personalised diary of the author's sometimes idiosyncratic travels in search of prehistoric sites around Europe. Despite this I am delighted to own it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful reading, 24 May 2013
R. W. Hughes "hugdavliv" (exiled welshman) - See all my reviews
I had bought this book about 18 months before I read it. Then my partner started a work related course that meant every weekend she was studying for four hours, on a sunday. This gave me a wonderful opportuinity to read the book,whilst she studied. I was as impressed with the book as I am with Juilan's music. I thought it was well written and wonderfully illustrated. I am very familiar with many of the sites in Greece and the book certainly will inspire me to visit Malta. At the time of reading I did not have Megalithic Britain but have since acquired a copy, again I have thoroughly enjoyed the book and have obtainned as much pleasure reeading Julian's works as I have reading academic and archaelogists texts on the subject of "prehistory"

5.0 out of 5 stars heavy man, 9 Sept. 2010
G. Kinch - See all my reviews
fantastic value, especially compared to the much more scarce Modern Antiquarian. This book makes no claim to be encyclopedic, but Cope has chosen many unusually interesting sites, many off the beaten track and more atmospheric and telling than the tourist-trap sites. This book has transformed two european holidays of mine so far - his write-ups (and directions) are trustworthy, faultless in my experience. too heavy to take with you, but really worth taking notes before you go!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Glimpse into Europe's Shared Past........, 14 Nov. 2007
Stephen G. Mussared (England) - See all my reviews
What a fantastic book this is! I'm particularly taken with the entries on Portugal, Menorca, Sardinia and Corsica - the only difficulty is which one to visit first!
Julian - if you ever read this - keep up the great work - and I look forward to the book which takes in Turkey!

5.0 out of 5 stars Book Delivery, 16 Jun. 2014
This item arrived very soon after I ordered it and well in time to give to a friend for his birthday. The book is in good condition and was priced well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning work from St J, 31 Mar. 2010
Eugene G. Nugent "marvindj" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
Amazing follow up to The Modern Antiquarian which is so hard to find and getting very expensive. Whet your appetite with this one.

The Megalithic European: The 21st Century Traveller in Prehistoric Europe