Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 February 2004
'' According to the mysterious and powerful Mr. Tiny, only three vampires stood a chance of stopping the Vampeneze Lord. They were the Prince, Vancha March, Larten Crepsly, and a half-vampire-me-Darren Shan." Vancha March is a vampire who had been living in the wild for a very long time and is a vampire Prince. Darren Shan is a half-vampire and also is a vampire Prince. Larten Crepsly is a full-vampire and was the one who had blooded Darren first making Darren a half-vampire. Larten and Darren are so close together, you call them "father & son." The three vampires are on a quest to vanquish the Vampire Lord to win the War of the Scors. The vampires are enemies of the Vampeneze. (The vampires only feed on a little bit of blood, but the Vampeneze suck the victim dry. In this action, the Vampeneze are really killing when they feed.) Only these three vampires may help. A school inspector came to their hotel one day and said Darren should be in school. Since Darren has very little experience in English, math, and science, he agrees to have a private tutor, Debbie. One night when Darren was walking home from his tutoring session, a Vampeneze attacked Darren! Darren is weaponless! What will happen to Darren Shan? Read this book to find out.
My favorite part of the story is when Darren took on a big bully all by himself. Darren just picked him up by the collar. The bully's voice got all shaky. Darren wasn't doing it for fun, he had to save a kid named Richard from being killed by the Vampeneze. A girl next to Darren, Tara, already got killed. Even though Darren is a half-vampire, he still has a kind heart. In book 1, "Cirque de Freak," Darren gives up his humanity and becomes a half-vampire just to save a poisoned friend, Steve Leonard from dying.
I was first attracted to this series when my after school teacher started reading this book. After a while, I had grown to like the excitement and adventures of these books. Pretty soon, I was reading this series fast. I wanted to learn more about Darren and know what happened. This book, "Allies of the Night," is the 8th book.
I would recommend this book to people who are 10 & above. This book has lots of cruel fighting like people using weapons (knives, harpoons, etc.). It also shows a person, once good friends with Darren actually betray him. Plus, this book would be great for people who enjoy books that have daring moments and exciting adventures. If you also really like vampires, then this book is right for you. Within a few minutes, you will be "engaged" with it so choose your favorite spot and get ready to read!
on 8 October 2008
Darren, Mr Crepsley and Harket return to Crepsley's hometown where there have been murders and soon Darren is forced to go back to school, and continue fighting the War of the Scars.

Hunters of the Dusk had a fantastic ending and follows straight into Allies of the Night and this instalment is the best of the series, so far!

The War of the Scars has now been cemented and the danger and drama of the Vampires and Vampeneze becomes very exciting and drastic which is what the saga needed after the last two fairly disappointing novels. The relationship between the two is very intense and dramatic, author Darren Shan has created a real tension which makes this a gripping read as we find from Hunters that the stakes have been raised after the Vampeneze Lord made an escape during the end fight.

Though the tension is there, the reason this book is the best, is simply because it has everything you could want in a story; excitement, drama, twists, humour and tension.

The dramatic ending of Hunters left many questions and it was a matter of seconds before I picked up Allies and unlike previous novels, the excitement and drama continue all the way through this book with hardly any room for breath as you will be fully engrossed and unable to put the book down.

The excitement comes mainly from the return of a couple of characters from the earlier novels, and seeing them all grown up and together will just make you smile, as it is a break away from the fighting, some escapism for central character Darren, but also because it brings some comedy to the narrative, a rarity in this saga. There is a sense of it's a small world, but the ending explains all and will have you grasping for Killers of the Dawn no matter how tired you are.

The plot is very consistent as Shan writes with a purpose to entertain and excite, justified through the returning characters and the mystery of the whole school scenario, which was also intriguing to read as after years of absence Darren is sent back to class and how he reacts is very humane and really dramatic

This is the best of the saga so far as Shan steps it up a gear with sharp writing and a strong purpose in mind as character Darren Shan is tested once again.

9/10
on 21 July 2013
When I read the synopsis of this book I groaned a little, in the middle of a vampire war, Shan is sent to school? Surely not, but I'm so far into this series I did not want to give up, so I put my hesitations to one side and dived in. And I'm glad I did because it actually works quite well, it opens the way for some old characters to make a re-appearance.

As dead bodies keep turning up in Crepsley's old home town, the group head back there to try and catch the Vampaneze responsible but they run into bigger trouble than they imagined.

Since the first book I have waited for Steve Leopard to turn up again, each time a 'familiar' face was spotted throughout the series I always wondered if it would be him, and finally this time it was. And it's good! Not what I expected but I liked the way he was re-introduced and the following events were awesome.

We also see Debbie, Darren's first girlfriend re-appear, obviously older and hopefully wiser but she plays a big part which was fun and not what I expected.

This book had quite a lot of surprises in it and I read it so fast, I couldn't wait to know what happened.

The series just keeps getting better and better. I <3 Darren Shan!
on 23 May 2010
I love Darren Shan's books they're always amazing and addictive (these are no exception). I would recommend his books to everyone
on 30 November 2002
Darren Shan, half-vampire and Vampire prince, continues his quest to hunt down and kill the vampaneze Lord. Darren and the Allies journey to Mr Cresley's home town after they hear about a series of killings sounding all too familiar; humans drained of blood!
This book is written in a similiar style to the first trilogy with all of the excitment and suspense, and more. However, because there are many old faces from the first three books, it is probably not a good idea to read this book without reading the preceding books in the series first, as you will not experience the pleasure of coming across some of Darren's old friends (and enemies) once again. Allies is a fantastic read for anyone who has read the other Shan books and also a fine read for anyone who loves action,suspense and most importantly Vampires!It starts with a huge twist and ends with another,and the cliffhanger at the end is sure to leave you biting your nails until the next book comes out. Roll on book 9!
on 12 February 2013
I bought this book for my boyfriends 12 year old son and he hasn't put it down. Darren Shan is a fantastic author and I would recommend these books for any young teens.

My boyfriends son is not normally a good reader but cant seem to put these books down.
on 10 April 2011
As someone who rarely reads books i was surprised when i found myself struggling to put this one down,the whole Darren shan series is fantastic and i would no doubt recommend them to anybody.
on 21 January 2010
I bought this along with other Darren Shan Books as a Christmas present for an 11 year old boy who sat down and read one immediately, its a blessing that there are so many in the series
on 18 May 2013
Utterly breathtaking, I couldn't put the book down! The action had me at the edge of my seat, I had to drag myself away from the book to stop reading.
on 6 January 2014
I loved this book along with all the saga of Darren Shan books before and would recommend to teens of all ages if you like horror/mystery books