Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Prime Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 June 2013
I bought the Kindle copy. I was interested in Bombs on Aunt Dainty because I was born at the start of the war, and lived through it in South London. My parents were Swiss, and chose to stay in England. And I remember it as a wonderful time, noisy and interesting, thrilling to go out in the morning and see what had changed, what houses were still there, what interesting shrapnel we could collect from the street. Bombs on Aunt Dainty was an older take, but felt absolutely authentic, completely fascinating. More than any other book, it seems to convey the feel of the time, the combination of fear and excitement, boredom and frantic tension. It really filled out my own experience, actually informed me about my own life. The detail is amazing, and feels absolutely right. And Kerr's description of the end of the war is also spot on, confirming what had, till then, been merely an impression of a memory. She describes the sailor climbing a lamp-post in celebration; many years later I made a programme about VE-Day for the BBC, and I used the newsreel image of that sailor; a bit of the ironwork breaks off as he reaches the top. Everything she describes checks out, both physically and emotionally. A superb, serious, trustworthy writer and a cracking read.
VINE VOICEon 23 December 2013
Anyone who has read When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit will want to know what happened next to Anna, Max and their parents. This book - aimed at teenagers but quite sophisticated enough for an adult audience - takes up the story, with Anna on the verge of her 16th birthday. The family have settled in London but are barely scraping by, although Max is flourishing at Cambridge. The description of life in their hotel, full of other refugees, of Anna's first job and her discovery of her painting talent, and her first love affair, are all beautifully written as you would expect. The book conveys as well as any I've ever read what life in London during the Blitz must have been like. It is extremely moving in parts, both humorous and sad, and stays in the memory long after the end. I can't recommend it too highly.
on 15 September 2015
When I was tiny The Tiger who Came to Tea was my absolute favourite book in the world. I don't know what thrilled me more - the tiger or Sophie going out for dinner (sausages! chips! ice cream!) in her nightie. A few years later I read When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit and it became instantly one of the iconic books which defines my childhood, read over and over and over again. But it wasn't until many years later as a bookseller shelving in the children's section that I realised the author was one and the same - little Anna had grown up and achieved her dream.
Bombs on Aunt Dainty picks up several years after Pink Rabbit. Anna and her family are refugees (the current Government would probably call them economic migrants), and whilst Max, her oldest brother, feels and acts English, his German nationality an embarrassment and an impediment, and Anna doesn't know quite who she is, living with friends, her own family elsewhere. Meanwhile her parents live in genteel poverty struggling to cope in a world where their language, skills and former status are of no use.
It was fascinating and sobering to read this during the current refugee crisis. In a way it gave me some hope for the children, after all, Anna and Max were resilient throughout all the upheaval, and it's a much needed reminder, with all the current rhetoric, that every single refugee is a human being with a unique story. But Anna's parents never really came to terms with the awful upheaval in their lives and right now there are millions of Papas and Mamas trying to feed their children, get any job possible, unable to believe that there's a world that is safe. Eighty years after Anna fled Germany it seems that in some ways nothing has changed.
on 6 May 2012
I first read Ms. Kerr's story (When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit) when I was a 9 year old 4th grader and it resonated deeply. Now in my 25th year as a 4th grade teacher, I still read it each year to my students and they love it as much as I do. This continuation of her life story (which I first read as The Other Way Round) is every bit as powerful, and I hand it off to my more mature students for a read with their parents at home. It is a timeless, human story that they never forget-- which is, of course, my hope.
on 2 June 2009
Judith Kerr's account of an ordinary young girl living in a special historical time is gripping. The mixture of the banal and dramatic rings true and brings to life Anna's experiences. The writing style is deceptively simple, but elegant and honest.

Some reviewers have compared this book slightly less favourably with the first in the series, but I found this one even more absorbing and beautifully written.

My child is 8 so can read many books herself. It means I can choose books to read aloud that I will also thoroughly enjoy. Here is one such.
on 13 November 2002
I have read all the books in the series of 'When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit' and have enjoyed them immensely. This book is good but not quite as good as the first one (When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit). You really do feel like you're there with Anna, walking beside her, hiding from the bombs, going to art class basically because the writing is superbly vivid.
I would reccomend this book to anyone of the age of seven, (who wants a slightly challenging read), and over. If you had read the first book then you have to read the rest to find out what happens to poor, forlorn Anna, lost in a world dominated by the Second World War.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 24 November 2015
This is the second of Judith Kerr's semi-autobiographical novels following on from "When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit". In this book Anna, the main character from whose point of view the story is told, is a young woman and the book itself is, I feel, aimed at an older readership than the first one. They are both very readable for an adult.

Anna and her family have come to London after escaping from Germany just before the war. As refugees they are the objects of suspicion and they are also very poor because Anna's father can no longer get work. This story is set in the Blitz and as Anna grows up, takes art lessons, begins to find young men attractive and then holds down a war job we see through her eyes the reality of war and some of its nastier consequences. This isn't a harrowing book but the circumstances are very real and what happens to Anna and her family very much has the ring of truth. By the end of the war Anna, her family and London are very changed.

This story is very simply told and doesn't dwell on the more horrific side of war but the author is truthful about how people and countries behaved at this time. I found parts of the book quite emotional and I was willing Anna and her family to come through the war with a hope for the future. This is engaging and very truthful with Anna at the centre of the story as a young, comparatively innocent, but delightful companion.
on 15 June 2000
The Other Way Round is the second book in the trilogy Out of Hitler Time . It is about Anna , now fifteen years old , coping in London . It tells you how she survives the bombing everynight and how she copes when her father is ill from a stroke .
I enjoyed reading this book and it was quite easy to get into . But I wish Anna was nearer the age she was when the left of in the first book . Its the kind of book that when your at the end of it , you want to keep reading to find out what happens next .
From all of the books in the trilogy , I would say that this book is the second best . I think When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit is the best book because Anna is younger , its more funny and her and her family travel around , so they have more adventures .
I would recommend this book for anyone over eight and if I was to give it a mark , I would give it seven out of ten .
on 26 February 2015
Well written continuation of a family's fleeing Germany via. SWITZERLAND. AND france. Finally settling in the UK. A good read. Not too much exposure of the horrors of the time but enough implied to make a good read.
on 7 March 2015
Nothing in this book will overly tax your brain but at the same time it gives a fresh and very vivid account of what it must have been like to be a refugee in England as the war began. Thoroughly good read!