5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishingly good
Published 23 months ago by Peter Ceresole

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Rather disappointing after reading When Hitler....
Published 1 month ago by A J.Evans.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishingly good, 6 Jun. 2013
I bought the Kindle copy. I was interested in Bombs on Aunt Dainty because I was born at the start of the war, and lived through it in South London. My parents were Swiss, and chose to stay in England. And I remember it as a wonderful time, noisy and interesting, thrilling to go out in the morning and see what had changed, what houses were still there, what interesting shrapnel we could collect from the street. Bombs on Aunt Dainty was an older take, but felt absolutely authentic, completely fascinating. More than any other book, it seems to convey the feel of the time, the combination of fear and excitement, boredom and frantic tension. It really filled out my own experience, actually informed me about my own life. The detail is amazing, and feels absolutely right. And Kerr's description of the end of the war is also spot on, confirming what had, till then, been merely an impression of a memory. She describes the sailor climbing a lamp-post in celebration; many years later I made a programme about VE-Day for the BBC, and I used the newsreel image of that sailor; a bit of the ironwork breaks off as he reaches the top. Everything she describes checks out, both physically and emotionally. A superb, serious, trustworthy writer and a cracking read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A small masterpiece, 23 Dec. 2013
Claretta (London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Bombs on Aunt Dainty (Paperback)
Anyone who has read When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit will want to know what happened next to Anna, Max and their parents. This book - aimed at teenagers but quite sophisticated enough for an adult audience - takes up the story, with Anna on the verge of her 16th birthday. The family have settled in London but are barely scraping by, although Max is flourishing at Cambridge. The description of life in their hotel, full of other refugees, of Anna's first job and her discovery of her painting talent, and her first love affair, are all beautifully written as you would expect. The book conveys as well as any I've ever read what life in London during the Blitz must have been like. It is extremely moving in parts, both humorous and sad, and stays in the memory long after the end. I can't recommend it too highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Child of the Blitz, 2 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Bombs on Aunt Dainty (Paperback)
Judith Kerr's account of an ordinary young girl living in a special historical time is gripping. The mixture of the banal and dramatic rings true and brings to life Anna's experiences. The writing style is deceptively simple, but elegant and honest.

Some reviewers have compared this book slightly less favourably with the first in the series, but I found this one even more absorbing and beautifully written.

My child is 8 so can read many books herself. It means I can choose books to read aloud that I will also thoroughly enjoy. Here is one such.

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless, 6 May 2012
This review is from: Bombs on Aunt Dainty (Paperback)
I first read Ms. Kerr's story (When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit) when I was a 9 year old 4th grader and it resonated deeply. Now in my 25th year as a 4th grade teacher, I still read it each year to my students and they love it as much as I do. This continuation of her life story (which I first read as The Other Way Round) is every bit as powerful, and I hand it off to my more mature students for a read with their parents at home. It is a timeless, human story that they never forget-- which is, of course, my hope.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, superb writing!, 13 Nov. 2002
This review is from: Bombs on Aunt Dainty (Paperback)
I have read all the books in the series of 'When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit' and have enjoyed them immensely. This book is good but not quite as good as the first one (When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit). You really do feel like you're there with Anna, walking beside her, hiding from the bombs, going to art class basically because the writing is superbly vivid.
I would reccomend this book to anyone of the age of seven, (who wants a slightly challenging read), and over. If you had read the first book then you have to read the rest to find out what happens to poor, forlorn Anna, lost in a world dominated by the Second World War.

4.0 out of 5 stars This was a really good book to get into., 15 Jun. 2000
By A Customer
The Other Way Round is the second book in the trilogy Out of Hitler Time . It is about Anna , now fifteen years old , coping in London . It tells you how she survives the bombing everynight and how she copes when her father is ill from a stroke .
I enjoyed reading this book and it was quite easy to get into . But I wish Anna was nearer the age she was when the left of in the first book . Its the kind of book that when your at the end of it , you want to keep reading to find out what happens next .
From all of the books in the trilogy , I would say that this book is the second best . I think When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit is the best book because Anna is younger , its more funny and her and her family travel around , so they have more adventures .
I would recommend this book for anyone over eight and if I was to give it a mark , I would give it seven out of ten .

4.0 out of 5 stars Bombs on aunt daisy, 24 Mar. 2014
Couldn't put it down. Can't wait to read the last one in the trilogy. A good account of the war.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ginnette's Review., 26 Feb. 2015
Amazon Customer (Bracknell, Berkshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Well written continuation of a family's fleeing Germany via. SWITZERLAND. AND france. Finally settling in the UK. A good read. Not too much exposure of the horrors of the time but enough implied to make a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars An easy but enjoyable read., 7 Mar. 2015
Nothing in this book will overly tax your brain but at the same time it gives a fresh and very vivid account of what it must have been like to be a refugee in England as the war began. Thoroughly good read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 16 Feb. 2015
The characters in this book shone out and I loved Anna. I read it so quickly as it was beautiful and absorbing. Gorgeous book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Bombs on Aunt Dainty
Bombs on Aunt Dainty by Judith Kerr (Paperback - 7 May 2002)