‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite the complete omnibus, 9 Jan 2008
Amazon Customer (Massachusetts, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Out of the Hitler Time: When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit, Bombs on Aunt Dainty, A Small Person Far Away (Paperback)
If you are thinking of getting this edition instead of the three books individually, be aware that it does not contain the complete text of the last, A Small Person Far Away. I don't know about the other two but the cuts for the third were considerable. However, this in no way detracts from the power of the story. This book should be read by as many people as possible, in whatever form.

5.0 out of 5 stars direct, honest and deep, 19 Dec 2005
hillbank68 "almac1975" (Fife, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This trilogy , fictionalised as it is, is really Judith Kerr's own story of her family's escape from Nazi Germany at the time of Hitler's accession to power, their stay in Switzerland and then England, deprived of the comfortable lifestyle they had in Berlin (her father was a successful and highly esteemed writer), her first steps in the world of creative art (and a parallel love affair) and then, in her third book, her return in the 1950s to Berlin to visit her ill mother. It is written very simply and directly, as for a young person, but there is nothing childish about it. The directness makes it both powerful and moving. I have never read such a 'real' personal account of the Blitz, for example. I came to these books through the writer's children's books about The Tiger Who Came to Tea and Mog the Forgetful Cat, classics both. These three books are a different kind of thing, but it is easy to see the link between the gentle humanity of the children's books and this trilogy. Strongly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating..., 30 Nov 2003
Although this book is technically a children's book I loved it. It is easy to forget that war didn't just affect the men on the front-line, and this book takes us on the journey of the life an every day family. Anna's family may be Jewish, but they are not a religious family, and Anna only knows she is a Jew because her Father tells her so. This must have been very confusing for a child. The story is based on the true life of the author, which adds meaning to the plot.

5.0 out of 5 stars utterly amazing, 2 May 2011
For my 13th birthday I got a book card and I was deciding on books to buy. My mum picked up 'When Hitler stole pink rabbit', I dismissed it because it was in the childrens' section but later I found 'Out of Hitler time' in the teenage section, I flicked through and bought it (mainly because it cheaper buying the whole thing rather than the books separately!)I started Pink Rabbit as soon as I got home and enjoyed immensely; it was easy to read and humorous. I began the 2nd book but couldn't get into it, I don't know why because when I picked it up again last month (I'm almost 15 now, and wondered if the books would be too childish for me) I was sucked in all over again! The other two are just as good as the first, only for teenagers- and adults would probably enjoy them too. The 3rd one particularly is more adult, it deals with family tragedy, and although the least happens, it is, in my opinion the best! In my German class now we are reading Pink Rabbit (Als Hitler das rosa kaninchen stahl' and we are working our way through that and we love it!
I would recommend this trilogy to anyone who enjoys a nice, easy read on a Sunday afternoon :) read it, it will stay with you for a long time... <3

5.0 out of 5 stars 'A very motivating and capturing story', 22 Dec 2001
By A Customer
This story will bring tears to your eyes.
It's based on the experience of the author's childhood. It's starts of as a Jewish girl named Anna who has everything in the world she needs. Her dad is a very rich writer. Then Hitler comes along wanting to rule over Germany. So they have to escape to Switzerland to live quite poorly but travel with Anna and her brother Max into a lot of adventures and tragic moments that you will never forget.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back again, 10 Feb 2011
Every child should read these stories. If the child in your life is an avaid reader you should choose this omnibus edition so that they can follow the central character through each phase of the evacuation and reinvention of life as a refugee. There is a lot of modern racism about assylum seekers so you do not have to be a child of the forties or Jewish to feel the relevance.

5.0 out of 5 stars vivid and moving, 11 Oct 2009
Sarah A. Brown (Cambridge) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I never read `When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit' at school but picked up my daughter's copy which I enjoyed very much and decided to buy the whole omnibus. Pink Rabbit is (in some ways) a comparatively gentle treatment of the Holocaust - Anna and her family escape from Germany early in the novel and the rest of the story is more about the experiences - sometimes funny, sometimes painful - of life as a refugee in Switzerland, France and finally England.

I thought `Pink Rabbit'one of the most striking reflections on the Holocaust I've encountered - even though it's only treated obliquely in the book. Anna's voice is so fresh and modern that it seems completely unthinkable that she and her (sometimes rather irritating) family would have been sent to a concentration camp if they hadn't left in the nick of time - the next day the Nazis had come round to their house to confiscate the family's passports.

Little Anna is rather feisty but the adolescent Anna of the second novel is shyer and more awkward - and doesn't always know what to make of her elder brother's jovial university friends or, a bit later, the more Bohemian types she meets at art school. The painful experience of a first crush - on her irresponsible art tutor - is very well done. The third novel is equally direct and sometimes painful - Anna is torn between anxiety for her sick mother and terror that she may be trapped in Berlin as the Suez crisis unfolds.

Again, the Holocaust seemed to be a surprisingly absent presence in the third book - one might imagine that Anna was constantly thinking about what the various Germans she encountered did in the war but that doesn't seem, on the whole, to be an issue for her. As a script writer, Anna is very conscious of when her life seems to be conforming to the corny clichés of melodrama. So I assume that one creepy incident really happened to Anna/Judith - if only because you probably wouldn't make it up. This is her sudden realization that the pattern of the curtains in her guest house is made up of tiny swastikas. My daughter, aged 9, really enjoyed `Pink Rabbit' and obviously identified with the engaging character of Anna - but the second two novels are definitely aimed at an older audience.

4.0 out of 5 stars These work brilliantly put together as a trilogy, 30 Oct 2000
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I was fascinated by the way that the authorial voice changed and matured with Anna. Things that seemed puzzling and simplistic in When Hitler Stole the Pink Rabbit, take on more meaning as Anna grows in maturity and understanding. Tremendously readable and does a brilliant job of bringing the enormous subject of WW2 into the scope of a child's understanding without being overwhelming.

5.0 out of 5 stars The characters seem alive!, 19 April 2000
By A Customer
I loved reading all 3 of these books, though I enjoyed "When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit" most. They tell the story of Anna and her family from when they are refugees of Hitler to Anna's new life in England years later. The characters just seem so real that you can actually imagine then there with you as you read!

5.0 out of 5 stars A book I have read 100 times since July, 5 Nov 1999
By A Customer
Judith Kerr is fantastic at putting across her thoughts and feelings in this marvellous trilogy! I first read "When Hitler stole pink rabbit" when I was 10. I always wanted to read the other 2 as it was such a brilliant story. Although I think the other two are not as good they still capture the moment....

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›