5.0 out of 5 stars Only read if you are committed to weight loss
... I have never really been on a proper diet - always "sniffed" at them - but New Year meant a New Year's Resolution. I decided to get fit and lose weight. I don't watch Breakfast TV so had never heard of Joanna Hall, but her book was mentioned in a Sunday Paper and with the temptation of dropping a size in two weeks flat, I decided to go for it.
The first part of...
Published on 27 Jan 2003 by C. Clark

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good tips to follow
Published on 7 Jun 2011 by fuzzy

5.0 out of 5 stars Only read if you are committed to weight loss, 27 Jan 2003
C. Clark "shrimplady" (Canterbury, Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Drop a Size in Two Weeks Flat! (Paperback)
The first part of the book is taken up with a full two week's eating plan and exercise instructions. The main message is to use exercise along with good healthy eating (including a "starch curfew" - limited carbohydrates after 5pm). Apparently studies show that we need a minimum of 4000 steps (one foot in front of the other) to achieve MINIMUM health, 7,000 to contribute towards fitness and 10,000 steps a day to achieve weight loss. So there is a lot of walking (so get yourself a pedometer) and a lot of fruit and veg eating involved. Only those really dedicated to giving their weight loss a kick start should bother - if you are not dedicated, you will find it a struggle as you have to be really organised to (a) get up early to walk and (b) plan your day's menu.
The second part of the book deals with continuing your new healthy life style with recipes, continuing exercises and 10 "habit grooving" suggestions. It also has damage limitation plans for when you have one red wine too many and go off the rails!
But, does it work? I had help as my husband joined me on the two weeks and I am delighted to say that we both lost half a stone in two weeks flat! And just so you don't think I was huge to start with, in my case, I'm 5ft 3in and went from 10stone 6lb to 9 stone 13lb. I still want to lose a few more pounds, but adopting Joanna's regime I know I should be down to my goal weight in a matter of months.
Get the book for you and your family (I'm trying to persuade my overweight mother to get up and walk)!

4.0 out of 5 stars drop a dress size in two weeks flat, 11 Mar 2003
mrs a l mcmullen (Widnes, Cheshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Drop a Size in Two Weeks Flat! (Paperback)
As a life long "Yo-Yo" dieter I can only describe this book as inspirational. At this very moment I am exactly halfway through the 14 day plan and I am thrilled to say that I have already managed to wear the trousers that wouldn't fasten this time last week!
The plan does take a little organisation and my shopping bill was a little larger the first week but that was mainly due to stocking up on different condiments and frozen fruits which are unfortunately not too cheap. However, my shopping bill this week was back to its usual amount.
The plan is very easy to follow, the recipies are very tasty and easy to prepare. I have to admit that I haven't managed to do all the walking as recommended...but it does state in the book that you fit in as much walking/excercise as you can, when you can as any excercise is better than none at all. I have managed to do the 'core-stability' excercises daily and they have really worked.
After the 14 day plan the book concentrates on maintaining the weight loss. There are some great ideas for what to do when you have succumbed to temptation! A great section of excercises to do at home. Information on nutritional guidelines, recipies for quick healthy snacks, delicious smoothies. It's ALL there.
A huge pat on the back to Joanna Hall.

4.0 out of 5 stars more than 2 weeks but adaptable, 22 Oct 2010
This review is from: Drop a Size in Two Weeks Flat! (Paperback)
I read this whole book before starting the 'diet' & over the 10 days - 2 weeks it took me, my husband & I started to 'wean' ourselves off carbs for our evening meals. To begin with, it was quite difficult as we always had pasta, rice, potatoes or bread in one form or another with our evening meals. The difficulty was more about choosing different foods to have instead of carbs (she calls it starch). However, we were amazed that even in the fortnight before we started the 'diet' & just cut down on carbs the weight started to fall off. As we got used to replacing carbs, we started the 2 weeks of the actual diet as described in the book. Due to work commitments, we were unable to do all of the walking as & when she prescribed but we both trained/went to the gym a few times a week anyway & walked our dogs each evening for an hour. I also found it difficult to drink all the water in a day as I work outside a lot & found I needed the toilet every 30 mins which wasn't usually available!
By the end of the 2 weeks (plus the 2 weeks at the beginning whilst we cut down) we'd both lost weight - my husband lost just over a stone & I lost half a stone! We were both so pleased with ourselves. We'd tried low fat diets but they just didn't seem to work & were difficult to sustain. Unlike this 'diet'. I admit we adapted it somewhat to suit our lifestyles, but for us, it became easy to find alternatives for our evening meals, eating more salads & vegetables & even trying new foods. We decided after the initial 4 weeks to continue with the basic principles of the diet (i.e. some exercise at least 4 times a week; drinking 2 litres of water; cutting down on caffeine; & most importantly no bread, pasta, rice or potatoes after 5pm) & have continued to lose weight - although we both hit a plateau after a while. I thought I'd miss potatoes & spaghetti bolagnase but I prefer not feeling bloated after my evening meal & can always have my favourites in limited portions for lunch. Lastly, if other diets have failed, at least try this & maybe you'll be back to the weight you'd always hoped you'd be - & get those 'too small' clothes out of the corner of your wardrobe! Good luck

5.0 out of 5 stars it works, 28 Mar 2009
This review is from: Drop a Size in Two Weeks Flat! (Paperback)
i thought i would give this book a try, ive been trying to lose weight for a while and unfortunately due to illness cannot do too much excersise, this book promotes walking as an aid to weight loss, i wasnt religous about following every single detail, but succeeded in losing 5ibs in the first week, now thats a result! try it, it worked for me

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommend this to anyone who can't keep the weight off!, 29 Jan 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Drop a Size in Two Weeks Flat! (Paperback)
Best recipes, easy to follow and completely changed my whole outlook to eating - feel better than I have on any 'diet' before!
Recommend this to anyone out there who has tried every way to lose weigght and always failed - this really works!

4.0 out of 5 stars Idea is good, shame about the Americanisation, 1 Aug 2012
I liked the way the book's written and the advice is very sensible. The get a grip plan didn't leave me feeling hungry and the follow-on advice was good. I didn't follow the plan 100% because I'm still breastfeeding but even so I lost 4lb in 2 weeks and 5 weeks later they've not come back.

However, there're 2 criticisms I would give (and why only 4 stars):
It's obviously been written with the American market in mind. I know Joanna from uk tv so the references to 'mom' 'zucchini' and 'cilantro' just seem weird and are quite annoying. The other problem is the formatting for kindle hasn't quite worked. There're lots of half-blank pages and the tables are confusing because they're not aligned.

Conclusion: substance is great, style needs some work. I'd probably still buy it again though.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good tips to follow, 7 Jun 2011
This review is from: Drop a Size in Two Weeks Flat! (Paperback)
I have read this and found that it had some useful tips about nutrition. I would say yes, buy the book but take what you can and remember that whilst you are losing weight it's fine, but it doesn't really have good tips as to how to keep it off long term. In some ways I would say it's a quick fit as the title suggests, but for long term goals of keeping the weight off, its a no no. My only wish was that there was a pull out section of the exercises as they are really good, but I had to keep looking at each exercise with the book open!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, and it really works!, 4 Jun 2007
Ms. A. Wakeling "Weight Loser!" (Hampshire , UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Drop a Size in Two Weeks Flat! (Paperback)
I got this book in January 2006, as it was the new year and i really wanted to lose weight, I lost about 20 pounds and still to this day have not put the weight back on! its really easy to follow, and the recipes are nice, eating no carbs after 5 really works.. If u really wanna lose weight then stick to this and u really will!! Lisa Scott def should give this a try!! x

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent quick boost, 30 Jun 2014
If you want to jump start your fitness and change your dietary habits quickly and effectively - this is the book for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Drop a Size in Two Weeks Flat!, 15 Jun 2014
N. Berrows (Oxfordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Drop a Size in Two Weeks Flat! (Paperback)
I bought this book because of it's excellent value and it was brand new well worth the money,would definitely buy from again. Thanks!

Drop a Size in Two Weeks Flat!
Drop a Size in Two Weeks Flat! by Joanna Hall (Paperback - 6 Jan 2003)
7.99