5.0 out of 5 stars Lirael: The most exquisite sequel ever.
Like many before me, I'm sure, after reading the incredible 'Sabriel' I was dubious about Lirael matching up to the incredible fantasy heights of Sabriel. Teenage reading is the best thing about being a teenager, but I was absoloutely shocked. This book went straight to my bone marrow and I know now that this book will haunt my reading taste, and the way I write books for...
Published on 24 May 2004 by Foroyar

3.0 out of 5 stars Lirael
Lirael has never felt like a true daughter of the Clayr, as she is long past the age where she should have gained the sight. She becomes a librarian, which has given her a purpose, learning charter magic and, with the help of the Disreputable Dog, stopping and destroying the evil in the library. At the same time, across the wall, in Ancelstierre, Prince Sameth is...
Published 4 days ago by Amethyst Bookwyrm

5.0 out of 5 stars what a read!!, 30 Jan 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Lirael (Paperback)
This book is one of the best that I have read in a long time. It keeps you on the edge of your seat, not wanting to put it down. I stayed up well into the night on quite a few occasions until I had finished it. Even then I couldn't wait to move straight onto the next book, Abhorsen. My mum was queuing up behind me to get her hands on them too!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Caveat Emptor!, 3 Nov 2005
This review is from: Lirael (Paperback)
Although this IS a great story, the thing that sticks with me most is getting to the end & finding that there is no end! Was very disappointed that there had been no warning that this book (unlike Sabriel, it's predecessor) was not one that could be read on it's own, but leads straight into the events in Abhorsen. Given that Sabriel CAN be read alone, I think it only fair to warn others that Lirael can't - hopefully, others won't then experience the level of disappointment which I had.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pedestrian, 11 May 2013
Dr. E. E. Ernstbrunner (Stockport, Ches United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
There's too much emphasis on adolescence, schoolboy "humour", old school tie (a school cricket match, for heaven's sake). Far worse than Sabriel, and frankly not worth one's time. The writing is largely without bstyle - as if it were Nix's first book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 17 Aug 2014
Fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brill, 8 Aug 2004
Kirsty (Birmingham England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lirael (Hardcover)
This book is so much betta than the 1st. It is brill buy it now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 3 Feb 2004
M. Ivanova "i_am_she_wolf" (London, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lirael (Hardcover)
This book is second in trilogy, and it has got it's own story, which connects firs one, but many years later. Also the book is different, because there are 2 young ppl, Lirael, and Sameth, both struguling with their position in life, as they don't feel they belong there, and in the end they'll find out that they were right! But now they have to fight battle which is quite big for expirience adults, and almost imposible for 2 teenagers, will they win? This we'll know in 3 and last book (Abhorsen.)
This book is captuvating as Sabriel, and the author is letting us in more magic of all sorts and charter magic in th world of Old Kingdom... And I absolutly loved The Dog! So funny, though wise... And the cat is my fav, present in both books, it's always knowing-all, but also so sarcastic!:) MY WORD, READ THIS TRILOGY, DON'T HESITATE!!!:)

3.0 out of 5 stars An Ok Book, 4 Sep 2003
This review is from: Lirael (Hardcover)
Hmmm what can I say? Well I thought that this book wasn't as good as 'Sabriel', it lacks the excitement of the first book and is too long winded, although you do get to know more about the characters. Fans of the first book will be disappointed I think but I hope 'Abhorson' makes up in what 'Lirael' lacks.

4.0 out of 5 stars not up to expectations, 28 Jun 2003
This review is from: Lirael (Hardcover)
i had great expectations for this book from what i had seen from sabriel, the first book, but i was disappointed, somewhat due to the somewhat tediously slow beginning, with not much proper development in plot till near the end, and the ending itself lacked much satisfaction that the long beginning and build up had promised, but i guess, like most second books in trilogies, it is creating a great setting from which the third book can start from, without all the tedious background building it would have required. from all the building up in this book, abhorsen, the third book is set to be the most explosive and brilliant yet in the sabriel trilogy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so good, 5 July 2004
This review is from: Lirael (Paperback)
Mildly entertaining but the book was not as accessable as i would have liked. The storyline was ok, but it seemed to drag on forever. Nothing like it's protege 'Sabriel'. Overall, it was a good book but could never match up with the first of the series, 'Sabriel'.

4.0 out of 5 stars harrys other review, 25 May 2004
This review is from: Lirael (Paperback)
its very good and got me through potien lessons with snape!!! hes created another world very well just like my own creator its a good book and will be loved by all!!

Lirael
Lirael by Garth Nix (Paperback - 5 April 2004)