5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I took this one home!
I work in a book shop and Sabriel grabbed my attention the second I saw it. However, I was a bit apprehensive as it was in the young adult section which also contains all the 'girly' books which, being 18 and hating them, aren't really my type. But I thought I'd give it a chance as there was quite a fuss about it.
I'm so glad I did! I just couldn't put this book...
Published on 28 Feb 2004 by Bex

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Kind of tattered
Published 16 days ago by Shobnam Islam

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I took this one home!, 28 Feb 2004
This review is from: Sabriel (Paperback)
I'm so glad I did! I just couldn't put this book down! Nix' book is definately in the fantasy genre (which i was delighted about) but it is also unique from any fantasy fiction I've read. Sometimes it's easy to get lost in a book like this but Nix has amazing talent at making you understand and vividly imagine all the ideas he presents. Much easier read than lord of the rings and much more compelling too.
But don't let me tell you how wonderful it is, go and read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant new voice in Fantasy, 23 Sep 2003
Jonathan Waterlow (Oxford) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sabriel (Paperback)
Garth Nix’s “Sabriel” is striking in many ways. Initially, it’s just the cover – ooh, isn’t it nice? And the book inside? Well, perhaps for once judging a book by its cover is not such a bad idea.
That Philip Pullman graces the cover of “Sabriel”, proclaiming it to be a fantasy that reads like realism, is telling. Reading “Sabriel” I was reminded time and again of Pullman’s “His Dark Materials” trilogy, which is widely acknowledged as a modern classic. Both take place in a fantasy world only slightly removed from our own, both centre around a young girl as she grows into a woman and discovers love, and both are absolutely, breathtakingly excellent.
Don’t be fooled into thinking this a children’s book. Again, like Pullman’s works, that may be what it says on the tin, but Nix doesn’t pull any punches in his presentation. There’s no patronising and talking down to children in his prose – several times I actually wondered if he’d even attempted to use simple word-choice. Because Nix refuses to sacrifice anything which will take away from his story – he tells it the way he wants to tell it, which is unquestionably a good thing for readers everywhere, even if they occasionally need to fumble for the dictionary.
“Sabriel” followes the eponymous heroine into the Old Kingdom, which is gradually falling apart after the breaking of many Charter Stones (magic that holds the Kingdom together), using the blood of the royal family. Blood is very important in this book, as Sabriel is to discover – she goes in search of her father, the Abhorsen (a necromancer whose task it is to make sure the dead stay dead and don’t come back to claim the living world as their own), and on the way has to come to terms with who and what she is, now that her father may be lost to her forever. On her journey she gains both friends and enemies, and although very occasionally Nix strays into the fantasy cliché area (returning Kings and talking animals), his powerful storytelling just keeps the reader from losing belief in his world.
Magic plays a big part in “Sabriel”, but Nix doesn’t just use it for the sake of it. The magic comes from within the characters, and symbolically it is often only strength of character and the support of others which enables even the simplest spell to be cast. This book is very much about growing up, banishing inner demons and having to make your own way through the often cruel world. Like all the best “children’s” literature, there’s an awful lot more going on under the surface than hocus-pocus and big men with swords.
The only real criticism I can make of “Sabriel” is that sometimes the pacing seems a little uneven. It starts out with a measured pace, drawing you into the mystery of the Old Kingdom and Sabriel’s journey through it. These early chapters are intoxicatingly good, reeling you in as Nix describes his fantasy world. But seemingly within hours of Sabriel entering the Old Kingdom, it’s gung-ho all the way. Incident follows adventure follows incident for the rest of the book, which although engaging offers no moments of pause for any real character analysis or assessment of where the story is and where it’s going. It reads very much like an adventure film with one big explosion after another with very little in between. However, I’m probably making this out to be more of a fault than it is – I know I thoroughly enjoyed the book. In the great panorama of “Sabriel”, this is only a minor quibble. I can only say that Philip Pullman should watch his back in the coming years, as Garth Nix gains further, much deserved, recognition.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bring on the next instalment!, 20 May 2003
Ms. X. Waite (Somerset, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sabriel (Paperback)
Sabriel is a teen read that is also entirely suitable for adults - in the same way that Phillip Pullman and J K Rowling are.
When Sabriel's father mysteriously disappears she has to leave her comfortable school existence behind her to travel into the Old Kingdom to find him. It is time for her to put her magical skills into practice and face terrifying dangers in an extraordinary world. Sabriel is a necromancer and as such she comes into contact with the dead.
I found Sabriel a little confusing to begin with as there was a lot to learn about in this new world that Garth Nix has created but as the story continues the plot gains momentum and charges along. It is a dark read which was quite scary in parts - especially if read alone at night!
I found that I loved this book it is dark, mystical and thrilling and I cannot wait for the next instalment - Lirael.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rich and multi layerd epic fiction, 8 Aug 2006
L. Hogan (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sabriel (Paperback)
All those cliches that are trotted out for so many books atcually apply to this one - original - yes! exciting - yes! unputdownable - yes! I wasnt quite sure where Mr Nix intended his audience to be when he wrote this book. Its difficult to classify a specific audience for it. In manys ways it is young adult but several of the themes definetly stray into more adult areas. Then again, the themes of loss and love are universal to so much fiction, that classifying any book would be useless. I first read Sabriel several years ago when it first came out in the UK and I have returned to it several times since, always finding something new and interesting. Its a book I would love to pass on to my children when they are old enough. Its slightly more grown up that the Harry Potter and Artemis Fowl books, less cartoonish. The characters seem more real. The dialogue is fantastic. Not once did I feel that a plot device came along to get Sabriel out of danger in the nick of time. Any help that came seems a logical progression of the story. Sabriel is a great book for all ages and all lovers of adventure fiction. Read it. You wont regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly terrific, 2 May 2004
This review is from: Sabriel (Paperback)
First of all, an Abhorsen is someone who puts the dead back to rest, when a necromancer wakes them. It's in only one bloodline, so a heavy burden rests on the shoulders of every Abhorsen.
Sabriel is the Abhorsen-in-waiting, though she hardly knows it. When her father goes missing, and sends her a very powerful sword and the Abhorsen bells (with which an Abhorsen works to ring the dead back into death), Sabriel leaves her school and plunges into the world of danger that is the Old Kingdom.
Meeting Mogget, the sarcastic magical being bound to service to the Abhorsen, she finds a guide, and another danger. Together they rescue a man who then joins them. The trouble is, just about everything and everyone is more beneath the surface. The old Kingdom is like a nightmare world, people fleeing, dead sucking the life out of every living being, scavengers sacrificing children for riches, a world waiting to be rescued.
Can they find Sabriel's father in time to stop an evil that has haunted the Old Kingdom for 200 years, and is about to rise?
The book is seriously magnificent, full of new ideas and plot, adventure, and heart-stopping dangers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic in more ways than one!, 6 Jan 2003
This review is from: Sabriel (Hardcover)
Sabriel is the best book I have read in quite a while. I love finding new and exciting books, and love the feeling of having found an absolute gem that you know will do well! Sabriel is one of these books. It will have you gripped from start to finish...I was up until 5am finishing it! I found it in my local bookshop burried under some other books, and was immediately drawn to its simple but lavish frontcover.
Sabriel is an 18 year old girl, who is thrown into a life changing adventure head first, to rescue her father. Trapped between the gates of life and death, she must find her fathers spirit in the realm of death in order to bring life to his physical body. Sounds complecated? Well it isn't really, it's just hard to sum up 366 pages of magic into a few lines!
If you are like me and enjoy books such as The wind On Fire trilogy, Harry Potter, Artemis Fowl, The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings, you will enjoy this book. I always feel a bit stupid being an 18 year old searching through the childrens department, but you can't beat books written for the 'Young Adult'.
The book isn't one for younger children, as I feel they might get bogged down by the language and invented magical terminology. Perhaps the age group I would say the book is most enjoyable for is 13years to adult. There is certainly a reference to sex in the book, however mild it may, which maybe useful information to a potential parent wanting a book for their child. I would not let this put you off however, as it isn't crude in anyway.
Over all this book is one that I will be proud to put on my shelf as another one of my great finds in the world of books. Garth Nix gets the big thumbs up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling., 17 Oct 2002
This review is from: Sabriel (Hardcover)
This book was wonderful. Garth Nix manages to create a world so magical that by the end of the book you're left wanting more.
We follow a young girl on the quest to find her Father who is missing. Not so bad you think until you realsie that he's stuck in the world of the dead and that to rescue him she will have to face difficulties not just in the dangerously magical place around her but within herself aswell.
It's a fast paced book from beginning to end and with such original ideas within it (bells to raise the dead!!) I can imagine children and adults of all ages being enchanted by it. It's definitely for fans of Phillip Pullman and JRR Tolkien.
Roll on part two, we're waiting with bated breath.

5.0 out of 5 stars An atmospheric fantasy, 30 Sep 2003
This review is from: Sabriel (Audio Cassette)
Sabriel is the only daughter of the Mage Abhorsen. Her mother is dead and her father is busy about his work, so Sabriel spends all her time at Wyverley College, (for Young Ladies of Quality) in Ancelstierre, a country where there is electricity, guns, soldiers, and cars. Across the border in the Old Kingdom, there is Charter Magic and the more dangerous free magic. Between the two countries runs the Wall, with the Ancelstierre soldiery trying to keep out the denizens of the Old Kingdom.
Sabriel is bright, with good marks in Mathematics, English, and the Fighting Arts, but most importantly, she is first in Magic, a subject that can only be taught because the college is so close to the border. Her Father visits her twice a year, by sending an illusion of himself to the school. But this year he doesn’t come, and Sabriel is worried. When a Dead servant arrives carrying a sack holding Abhorsen's tools, then Sabriel knows that something is very wrong and that she must cross the Wall into the Old Kingdom to save him. More dangerously, she must cross into death to find him, for Abhorsen is a necromancer. His task is not to raise the dead, but to lay them to rest and thus protect the living.
Sabriel’s adventures across the Wall bring her love and a greater understanding of her father and her heritage, whilst they test her strength of character and her courage as she faces an ancient foe.
This book draws you into Sabriel’s world, with several clever ideas. Perhaps not ideal for nervous readers (who may have nightmares), this is a great piece of teenage fiction that can be enjoyed by adults and children alike. Although I don’t like to compare authors, this book has echoes of Ursula le Guin’s Earthsea series, with a dash of Philip Pullman, so if you like either of them, you’ll love this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sabriel - the best new book in a long time, 5 Sep 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Sabriel (Hardcover)
As soon as I saw the cover of Sabriel I was intrigued, and by the end of the prologue I was hooked. Lovers of JRR Tolkien, Philip Pullman, Lian Hearn and William Nicholson will love this book too.
Sabriel, the heroine has always known she wasn't like the other girls at Wyverley college, for a start she has journeyed into death. As soon as she realises there is something amiss, that her father Abhorsen is missing and possibly trapped in death, she knows that it is time to leave the safety of the college and the New Kingdom. Her journey takes her back into the Old Kingdom, where free magic is commonplace and the dead are returning in numbers too great for anyone but the Abhorsen to deal with...
Filled with truly original ideas and a plot which increases in intensitity right the way through the book, it is a story which will keep you transfixed, wrench your heart out and leave you gasping for more. I cannot wait for Lirael and Abhorsen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen are worth more than 100 stars!, 5 Nov 2007
This review is from: Sabriel (Hardcover)
I found this trilogy by chance here on Amazon and I'm so happy that I did. These 3 books have changed and enhanced my imagination a great deal. I was hooked on Sabriel straight away and I felt attached to her and her mission to find her father, the Abhorsen, after about the first 5 pages. It's an amazing and truly magical trilogy and I can't say a bad thing about it. I have so much respect and admiration for Garth Nix because the characters, places, environment, Old Kingdom creatures and magic are described so brilliantly that it makes it hard to believe that these stories aren't real! In this trilogy you are garaunteed to find stories of sadness, lonliness, determination, independence, loyalty, triumph, happiness, friendship and above all, love. This is definately a book that I think would benefit any keen reader even if you don't think you'll read it at a quick pace, buy Lirael and Abhorsen with Sabriel because you never know!

Sam Bourne, age 18.

Sabriel
Sabriel by Garth Nix (Paperback - 6 May 2003)
5.59